IBM Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 936 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 446 reviews)

1. "Senior Solutions Executive"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM has a hundred year history of innovation and development

Cons

The company structure of a Matrix provides little leadership or accountability

Advice to Management

Listen to the field and minimize the middle management distractions

2. "Project Variety with Disconnected Management"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Project variety
    * Generally smart, motivated co-workers
    * Get to work with some huge, well-known companies and organizations
    * Robust career path options
    * Excellent company reputation

Cons

* Inconsistent project & project team quality
    * Only minor control over what projects you work on
    * Two projects ended abruptly due to budget mismanagement, which eats into your utilization
    * Utilization is absolute king during performance reviews
    * Formal management is disconnected from your day-to-day work

"AppDev GBS (PubSec) - Some things were good, other weren't... harder to tolerate the bad things as time goes on."

Former Employee - .NET Web Applications Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - .NET Web Applications Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Work from Home and Employees are encouraged to manage their own time for Work-Life balance (depending on assigned project and team).
    2. Learning resources are easily available (and company encourage learning - it's part of the annual employee evaluation).
    3. Partnership with Apple provide employees with selection of work related hardware (Mac, iPhone or IBM's Lenovo) and support.
    4. Plenty of Senior colleagues that can mentor and provide guidance.
    5. Standard Benefits Package: VAC/SIC (full from day 1), ESPP, 401k, Health Plan with HSA employer contributions (Medical, Drugs, Dental and Vision), Life Insurance, Disability, Employee discounts.

Cons

1. Difficult to keep a work-life balance as management keeps pushing for increased utilization time (Ex. for 2016, my role was assigned a minimum 100% year-end utilization goal). A typical employee will exceed the goal as, depending on assigned project and role, workload is around 10-15 hours per day - including some weekends.
    2. Performance review is highly subjective. The team that review your performance (and therefore recommends your salary revisions and promotions) is not the same group that works with you on a daily basis. Even your manager (SAM) might not know the details about your work (the SAM might not even know who you are or even met you in person).
    3. Salary increases (revisions) and bonuses are never guaranteed even with excellent performance reviews (1=best, 3=worst). (Ex. I worked here for three years, was considered a "rock star" employee but never received a raise, last year bonus was $850 while having PBC ratings of 1 on all years and exceeding my utilization goals in 20%-30% above the mark).
    4. Combination of Health Plan Premium + Contributions + Commuting (non-reimbursable) expenses will take a big piece of each paycheck (depending on where you live+work) - all needed just to go to work.

Advice to Management

None - they are doing what is best for the company (not the employees).

"Mixed Feelings"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with IBM for a number of years. I've always been proud of the longevity of IBM's commitment to diversity, specifically the LGBT community. I've found great support from most managers, directors and leaders. However... (continue to Cons)

Cons

Our current CEO currently has a very close relationship with the current US Trump administration--an administration does not value diversity or trust. Makes me doubt how genuine IBM's commitment to diversity is.
    Separately, there is currently little job security at IBM currently and the severance/layoff package is only 1 month's pay no matter how long an employee has worked at IBM. So when working at IBM, even if you are a long-term full-time employee it is better to think of yourself as a contractor.

Advice to Management

Resolve the Cons above. The amount of support given to the LGBT community is great, but the concurrent close personal relationship to the Trump administration is confounding.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for IBM for 18 years and, for most of those years, really looked forward to going to work every day. I worked with lots of smart, great colleagues around the world, all of us interested in producing the best product possible.

Cons

Almost 9 years ago, I was asked to start working from home, ostensibly to cut back on real estate and support costs. It made sense to me because none of the people at my local office worked on the same projects as I did. If I'm spending my day communicating via chat, email, and conference calls, why not do that from home. I found that I became much more productive and was able to easily handle working with colleagues in multiple time zones, early in the morning and late at night -- something that would have been hard to manage if I had to factor in commuting time, too. Then, in 2016, the division I worked for announced that everyone in software dev had to start physically reporting to the office, and not just any IBM office, but the office where the management team that "owned" your product area was located. Because relocating was not an option for me or my family, I opted to leave IBM. The situation reeked of hypocrisy, since I did not ask to start working from home, and I feel that IBM reneged on an arrangement that they imposed. In truth, the "back to the labs" decision was just a way to reduce headcount. Layoffs disguised as policy decisions have become rampant the past few years, and anyone who thinks they can join IBM to make a long term contribution should think twice.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with employees - we can handle it. Don't pretend that employees are your greatest asset when you're discarding people left and right. Work on finding ways to keep employees engaged and loyal as opposed to coming up with creative accounting measures to get people to leave.

"Challenging Environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the largest technology companies in the world. Depending upon where you work in the company it can be interesting work.

Cons

If you are not in one of the "strategic growth areas" the prospects are not good as IBM tries to reinvent itself.

Advice to Management

Do a better job at looking after the long time employees rather than mass layoffs, which are called resource adjustments.

7. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting project work, great coworkers (for the most part)

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement and raises

Advice to Management

Give control to project managers and direct managers for employee's compensation and career path

8. "IBM"

Former Employee - Senior Enablement Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Enablement Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well, plenty of growth

Cons

Too large of an organization, impersonal

Advice to Management

everything cannot be automated

9. "fair"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

They have a lot of projects

Cons

its salary is not competitive

10. "Good Company to start your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to build your reputation, network and meet some smart folks, a good way to start learning about the technology industry as well as the government sector.

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape, set in their old ways

Showing 106 of 34,482 reviews