IBM Account manager Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Bad work life balance in the company" (in 1011 reviews)

• "Long Hours suck sometimes but not too bad" (in 474 reviews)

1. "Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Coppell, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM has always been a company that understands work life balance not only in words but in policy.
    IBM has always given me the benefit of the policy of family and work in that order.

Cons

IBM is a challenge because it is always changing. That can be a good and a not so good thing.

Advice to Management

Continue to make it possible for employees to bring there diverse talents to the corporation

2. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Has been around for 100+ years

Cons

Alot of lay offs that had a major affect on customer service

Advice to Management

Keep good people

3. "I was in charge of Contract Extension/Cross Sell"

Current Employee - Regional Strategic Account Manager in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Regional Strategic Account Manager in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager helped with the overwhelming issue of every large company by introducing me to the stakeholders. Love my team and the wonderful options to move within the company. A lot of options to continue education and work with others on projects.

Cons

Decisions are made at a level that do not know the impact it will have. Some managers will hold good people back so they can keep good employees with them. Layoffs are many and sometimes they are not based off of performance, more political.

Advice to Management

Be willing to give mentors to all of your employees so that they can make the best assessments after they truly look into the mirror.

4. "GTS Sales"

Current Employee - GTS Account Manager
    Current Employee - GTS Account Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can work from home. Good health benefits.

Cons

Little to no training on IBM unique systems/process. Antiquated back office so quotes take a long time. Below industry comp. Constant turnover & cutting cost.

Advice to Management

Use your technology to streamline & improve sales tools. Give sales people the ability to create their own quotes without contacting 3-4 different organizations. Don't continually layoff people. Give them a chance to learn your systems and succeed. Listen to your employees - it is not an excuse but trying to help the co.

5. "Good place to learn but there are tradeoffs in compensation"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Good technology
    Good place to learn about cloud, blockchain, big data

Cons

Too much focus on cost cutting
    Management has a "not my problem" attitude
    Raises are few and far between

Advice to Management

Stop reducing line performers and look at reducing overhead. 7-9 levels of managers from staff to Ginny are candidly 2-3 levels too many

6. "pick a direction..."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM has tons of great technology, and many great people, and is, in general, very well thought of by customers.

Cons

The various elements of the sales organization don't really work together much at all. At a high level, the company keeps reorganizing sales coverage, and make the comp plan more complex and less lucrative.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating stability for both customers and employees, particularly by stabilizing account assignments and customer relationships.

7. "Solution Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are better than many companies

Cons

Many cons. Poor management. Stale culture.

"Self Sufficiency is key"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. Really smart co-workers. Good Work/Life balance by way of Remote Work option. Opportunity to move around within the company and experience different positions.

Cons

IBM stands for I've Been Moved or I'm By Myself. Manager changes every 12 months. Sales coverage (territory) changes every 12 months. People come and go in your ecosystem rapidly so it is hard to develop long term working relationships. Mentor(s) will change as people leave. A lot of layoffs have affected morale. Sometimes you get a manager or find a mentor that will help you think through how to grow your career. Sometimes it seems like no one cares about you and your growth. I felt like every time I got a new manager or territory, I would have to start over again to develop my reputation as a high performer. Most of the time, I suffered from new guy syndrome. A tenured rep was laid off for a low performing territory and IBM would give me the crap territory and 12 months to turn it around. Hard to make a lot happen in a short amount of time. My colleagues told me not to be so hard on myself. If a tenured rep couldn't make the territory perform, there was not a lot more that I, the new guy, could do. But I tried my damnest, and after 4 or 5 restarts with new territories, IBM finally gave up on me.

Advice to Management

Reorganizing / Restructuring the sales team every 6 to 12 months is not going to stop the 20 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Customers are tired of IBMers showing up saying "I'm your new sales guy, let's met" Because they know that 12 months later, someone new will be saying the same thing. Pick a strategy and stick to it. You have fallen so far behind in cloud, mobile that I think y'all should just move on. If analytics (Watson) is the next big bet, then drop the price and start getting some wins. Work harder on what happens after the sale. Getting kicked out of MD Anderson and State of Texas are a major embarrassment.

"Good Company if you can navigate"

Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM is a wonderful company, they have generous salaries, good self-directed training, and a good corporate culture. Their Summit Program is quite nice and I graduated from it with a good sense of sales.

Cons

Company is too big to get out of it's own way sometimes. I was disappointed in the lack of support I got in sales from senior members of my team when I asked for help, even though I offered to assist them with their grunt work. They move their sales force around too frequently for them to get traction with their accounts. After the initial training reps need to self-direct their training and it can be monotonous.

Advice to Management

Stop shifting sales accounts every half. Enable your new sales reps with better mentorship.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Brazil, IN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Brazil, IN

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity: company's respect to minorities is awesome.
    Technology: it is great to feel like you are part of the next big thing.

Cons

Oldfashioned Management: middle and higher management feel like they are stuck in 1980/1990. A lot of talking about "The New IBM", but no action to fundamentally change the structure.
    Prevalent Disorganization: everything is caotic and disorganized. None of the departments talk to eachother and the customer (and those representing the company before them) are penalized. It went as far as having someone elses bonus paycheck cashed into my account.
    Payment: under the market average... no matter the area or position.

Advice to Management

You need to start acting as one of the largest IT firms in the world and get the whole thing organized!