IBM Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

IBM Director Reviews

Updated Oct 4, 2019

3.4
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

"Getting better but a tough ride"

Current Employee - Program Director in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Intellectually challenging environment High calibre (for the most part) people A new willingness to empower employees Decent pay and great benefits

Cons

Layoffs, Layoffs, Layoffs Too many changes/churn Unable to commit to a strategy Diffuse measurements

Advice to Management

Understand who your good people are vs. those that talk a good game but are essentially lightweights Value people who have been with the company 15-20 years Remove processes where it doesn't matter Stop focusing on short term financial goals Look to the top to understand where your problems are

IBM2017-09-01

"Sales director"

Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many people to share blame Mediocre all around. Some really smart people in development Most internal tasks can be executed via intranet If you sell to government or a established account, it's an easy job (do not be fooled by he lure of new accounts it's not real)

Cons

Many people to share blame Sales personnel is Ruthless and self destroying Impersonal environment Disconnected management. Ignorance is pervasive at the VP Level and above Lack of resources Find the equivalent product elsewhere (there always is. And it will be more and more as the marker realizes the big competitive disadvantage of ibm) and work there. Pricing is unrealistic

Advice to Management

Change, fast Or the next start up will render you irrelevant

IBM2017-09-11

"The ship is spinning in circles and taking on water"

Current Employee - Director, Sales Management

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having the IBM name on your business card still gets you a seat at the table with many companies, both large and small. The company is truly a global organization, and there are opportunities for international work and assignments if that is something you want for your career - that is assuming that the hiring freeze that has been in place for most of the year is lifted...

Cons

Leadership says one thing, however they do not back up their words with actions. The company baits you in with what they call a reference salary - job seeker beware, this is not the salary you will actually get paid as (in most cases) you will be issued an incentive plan letter AFTER you start and will be told about your comp plan that be anywhere from an 8 to 18% reduction in the reference salary of what you were... expecting. What this means is that in the event you ask for an 8% raise over your current salary with your current employer, and they give it to you, when you start, that 8% will actually be null and void as they take that back to incentivize you over and above your agreed upon commissions numbers - it is a bait and switch in my opinion. In addition to the items mentioned above, the company can't decide on a direction, and therefore the are constant reorganizations. Since joining IBM in December, I personally have been a part of three reorganizations where my role has changed. Not only does this impact the customer, but it makes is almost impossible for a sales person or sales manager to succeed as their teams are constantly changing and there is no opportunity to actually build the pipeline necessary to succeed. Lastly, the biggest issue of all (in my opinion) is the morale within the organization is at an all time low. This is due in large part to the items mentioned above, as well as things like IBM increasing your quota half way through the year with no justification, and making you move from a remote employee to an onsite employee, but also you couple that with the fact that IBM has experienced 22 straight quarters of revenue decline and employees wonder why we continue to try and stick this out.

Advice to Management

Being in leadership at IBM, I have to say that my advice is rather simple - we need to get rid of some of the leaders that are hampering our ability to actively create change within the organization, and start delivering on our word to the field teams. If we start to take care of our employees (which this motto seems to have been forgotten at IBM), the employees will take care of the customers, and the results will... follow. Lastly, I would recommend that when executive leadership does identify that a change needs to be made, you need to give the front line teams the tool necessary to succeed, as well as the time necessary to make the changes and see the results - changing things every four to six month does no one any good as you can't see the fruits of the labor.

IBM2017-08-18
  4. "P-Tech is a Fantastic Program!"

Current Employee - Finance Director in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Simply put, I work at IBM because of the great people and the broad career opportunities -- along with additional opportunities to make a difference. One that stands out to me is Pathways in Technology (P-Tech), a wonderful mentorship program that I've been involved with for 3 years. I enjoy making a positive impact on public education, and IBM has offered me a great way to contribute. New collar jobs are... critical to our future success, and I'm confident that my P-Tech mentee will one day be a star!

Cons

Long hours at times, given global working relationship and dependencies in our business

Advice to Management

Continue to do the right thing for the long term vs. the next 90 days. Maintain your strong support for P-Tech.

IBM2017-07-13

July 17, 2017VP, Communications

Wow - thank you so much for pointing out our innovative P-Tech programs. We are so excited that it has turned into a model for similar programs with corporate partnerships all over the U.S. with plans to move into other markets. It was indeed a proud moment for IBM when former U.S. President Barack Obama pointed to P-Tech as the kind of initiative that could reinvent education here in America.

5. "Finance Director"

Former Employee - Director, Finance Management in Columbus, OH

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many Opportunities for advancement if you work hard.

Cons

Bureaucracy, hard to find your way to improve things.

Advice to Management

Promote from within

IBM2017-07-11

July 17, 2017VP, Communications

Thanks for commenting. And while we are helping to bring in more outside executives to help jump start new areas of our business - it's true that around 8 in 10 executive positions over the last 3 years were filled by IBMers already in the company. So we have established a good balance. To your point about working hard and advancing, we agree: around 20,000 IBMers took on new positions - many of them with promotions - in the last year alone.

"Channel Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large company with lots of resources and training. Ability to move between divisions. Offers large range of IT solutions from data to security to cloud to analytics to commerce, collaboration and integration.

Cons

Horrible leadership and executive management. Top executives have no respect for their managers, employees or customers. All IBM cares about is the correct answers in their weekly, daily, hourly candence calls. Very internal forcused company. Customers hate buying IBM today - they all would like to move off IBM solutions if they could.

Advice to Management

Clean the Swamp in upper level management. Great technology but no clue how to bring it to the market. Respect for your employees and customers. LISTEN to your customers!

IBM2017-08-04

"Program Director"

Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits were good. Work in some areas was interesting.

Cons

Leadership is only interested in their career, moving quickly before the glass breaks. I spend much of my management career trying to convince employees that taking away benefits was a good thing for them. No executive is held accountable, only lower level management and employees - just look at who getting laid off and how many VPs a small organization has. They have no clue on how to grow revenue.

Advice to Management

Take a long term view. There is no culture at IBM and it has become a job shop. Focus on the customer, the employee (you need them in order to focus on the customer), and eliminate most of the VPs who managed the lay-offs that preserved their positions at the expense of the people needed to service the customers. The focus on the shareholder has provided a slow death for a once great company. It may be too late... to fix it without going the HP disintegration route.

IBM2017-07-12

"Program Director"

Program Director in Somers, NY

I have been working at IBM for more than 8 years

Pros

flexibililty, challenge, smart co-workers, most are honest, nice people

Cons

limited upside for compensation increases in current role

Advice to Management

continue to remove layers of management

IBM2017-06-11

June 19, 2017VP, Communications

Thanks for the comment and the four stars. In fact, we are making good progress in simplifying the company, as you advise. We've eliminated about six layers of management in certain parts of our operations and are leaning very heavily in agile decision-making. Smaller, self-directed teams are empowered to make decisions. It's showing up in the outcomes too, so we know that we are on to something, as we shave time off project delivery and development time.

"1,000 "Best of IBM" honorees celebrated in Hawaii"

Program Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at IBM for more than 10 years

Pros

IBM recognized 1,000 employees as "Best of IBM" based on nomination from their executive management in May, 2017 at the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island, Hawaii. This was a HUGE recognition for me as a 19 year employee based on my 2016 performance. Embracing the strategic imperatives, gaining the requisite skills, and driving measurable performance around them is key to success in IBM.

Cons

Resistance to transform operational processes to embrace the Cloud and SaaS.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize the best in the company. The return on this recognition is immeasurable.

IBM2017-05-30
  10. "An Iconic Company Still"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, great technology, great impact

Cons

Still a lot of work to do to simplify internal decision making and processes

Advice to Management

Be even bolder in driving change

IBM2017-05-12

May 12, 2017Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for writing a review. We agree that IBMers, and our technology, are great. Currently, we're working on simplifying our processes through an initiative called the GetSimple Exchange.

Found 219 reviews