ICEF Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Parker Hudnut

1. "Great Organization!"

I have been working at ICEF Public Schools full-time

Pros

Dedicated, passionate group of people focused on educating and enriching the lives of inner city youth. Team-oriented with lots of opportunies to collaborate with others and develop professionally. Communication with executive management is open and productive.

Cons

The work itself is very challenging so it does take a high level of dedication and commitment. Must be willing to work hard to succeed.

2. "Great Charter School Network"

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICEF Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ICEF is a great option for parents looking for a great school for their kids. The teachers are knowledgable and hold their kids accountable for high academic outcomes.

Cons

You have to be willing to wear many hats!

3. "Overpromise and Under-deliver"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at ICEF Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The children were always the best part of the job. The vast majority were eager for a teacher that could match their needs.

Cons

Low pay
    No support from administration
    Teachers instructed to lie to parents about staff departing mid-year
    High turnover, at all times of the school year
    If a teacher achieves results in a manner not consistent with how administration thinks things should be done, they will be forced to conform. My students consistently outscored the rest of the school, but each year I would be asked to stop teaching in my own style and instead focus on writing out and reading the state standards to students every day, which would take up a substantial amount of instructional time
    Office worker was held in higher regard than the teaching staff, allowing them to steamroll over young teachers instead of supporting them as they should have
    High Stress
    Longer hours than your average teaching job
    Vast majority of teachers were not fully credentialed
    Blisteringly low morale

Advice to Management

Build a culture where teachers are valued and supported, instead of chastised and chased out

5. "CEO"

I worked at ICEF Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning communities if you have the right Director/Principal. Those who really care about the students go above and beyond to assist the children and make them a priority. The school cared more in the earlier years, prior to the new CEO.

Cons

Not enough resources available, some management in high level positions aren't qualified to be in those positions and as a result it is frowned upon by other classified and credentialed staff.

Advice to Management

Go back to why ICEF was founded, and the mission to help students in the Inner City and provide a quality education for all students.

6. "Special Education Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Educator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Special Educator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICEF Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

School has made significant progress in the past three years. Excellent School site administration

Cons

better communication between administration and teaching staff

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

7. "ICEF Review"

I have been working at ICEF Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for ICEF for almost a year and a half. I have found that we work well together as a team.

Cons

I do not have any at this time

8. "Great Company!"

I have been working at ICEF Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Let me start of by letting it be known I've not been working here that long, but have yet to see many of the complaints listed here on this site.

1. Great staff and people to be around. I've had the opportunity to meet many of the staff at ICEF and everyone has been a pleasure. The atmosphere is very warm and welcoming. Lot's of group activities and fun to be had, while taking care of business.

2. It's Monday-Friday job with plenty of hours and weekends off with good benefits, what more can you ask for?

3. Things are continually improving I see a great outlook for ICEF going forward, not something I could wholeheartedly say with other companies I've worked with.

If you're interested in this Company but aren't sure about the reviews, give it a shot. I was on the fence and still came in for offer, and very glad that I did!

Cons

My only true complaint would be parking at some locations, which can pretty bad at times. But then again this is LA where it's crowded in general.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. From what I see management has been making sure to address things brought before from staff, and keeping thing rolling.

9. "Teacher Position"

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICEF Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional Development such as Writers workshop and Daily 5 Training; grade level teams are supportive; curriculum, reading, and math specialists available to coach; and opportunity to grow in your craft as a teacher if you have a growth mindset. Overall, I am so grateful for an employer to wants the best for the scholars and the teachers.

Cons

Challenging parents. Some are very involve with their child's education and i love that. Some find it hard, due to life's challenges. it can be frustrating, especially when it is time to assess students' mastery of Common Core standards. It takes a village to prepare these scholars for collage.

Advice to Management

Never give up!!!!!

"Great Place for a "Newbie" but Not for Experienced Teachers!"

I have been working at ICEF Public Schools full-time

Pros

It's a job. That is all I can say about ICEF Public Schools.

Cons

ICEF just adopted a Teacher Salary Table similar to LAUSD. Unfortunately, they are already trying not to honor the scale by rejecting years of experience. Great if you're a new teacher, but veterans should rethink working at an ICEF school unless you're OK with being cheated out of your just dues.

Advice to Management

It would be wonderful if there were actually upper level management people who were educators or have actually had to work in a classroom. It would be wonderful if your site administrators actually appeared on campus daily and on time. It would be wonderful if ICEF promoted people who knew something about administration and not just its "favorites." Perhaps, if this were the case, "they" would understand the needs of teachers and students. Perhaps, the school culture would improve. Perhaps, students would be achieving at higher levels. Perhaps, if ICEF learned to respect the teachers and treat them as people of value not disposable commodities they wouldn't "bail out" so quickly. But, I suppose that is the strategy --- replace teachers quickly, that way, you don't have to really pay a fair wage or have too many people questioning your actions. Here's a revelation for you, upper management of ICEF Public Schools, people are leaving your organization as soon as possible because ICEF doesn't really value education for all. I think it values making money for upper management.

ICEF Public Schools Response

Feb 10, 2017 – HR Director

ICEF Public Schools teacher salary scale was designed after ample feedback was given from Teachers, Principals and other school administrators. We honor years of credentialed teaching experience, as ... More

"Low Expectations, Minimal support, No Integrity"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at ICEF Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits ok, Talented and passionate staff members make the days more bearable. Professional development improved this past school year.

Cons

Minimal support for teachers, lack of integrity, transparency, and clear communication amongst admin. and staff. Home office and CEO completely out of touch with school sites. Teachers feel pressured by parents and administration to provide grades that aren't earned by students.

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with the teachers and staff at the school sites and support them. Run the school more like a school rather than a corporate business. Parents and stakeholders deserve better consistent communication. Maintain high expectations for academics and behavior. Provide more support to new administrators and aspiring admin.