ICF Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

4.0
ICF Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We work really hard on a variety of challenging topics but also have good work-life balance (in 82 reviews)

• ICF provides a laptop so the option to work from home is available (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Not always good work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do (in 26 reviews)

1. "I just started the job and the experience has been wonderful!"

Current Employee - Internal Review Security Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Internal Review Security Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruiting staff (Paula and Laura) were superior!! The hiring process was great everyone was nice and knowledgeable. They made the process enjoyable. I love the team atmosphere within the company. I've been in contact with multiple people in multiple department and everyone has been helpful. Compared to some companies I've worked for the on-boarding process was excellent at ICF!

Cons

I just stared with the company and my experience has been great so no cons as of yet. Fingers crossed there will be none.

Advice to Management

Keep employing staff that makes the sometimes headache of finding a job enjoyable. We tend to complain about everything that is wrong but not what's right! The formula used for the recruiting staff is spot on. I feel that the first person you come in contact with set the tone for your overall experience! Paula and Laura in you recruiting department raised that bar! Thank you!

ICF Response

Dec 19, 2016 – Project Analyst

Dear current employee, we are thrilled to read about your positive recruiting and onboarding experience. We have shared your kind feedback with Laura and Paula directly. Thank you for taking the time... More

2. "Think again before taking the leap ..."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at ICF part-time

Pros

The government client was a jewel to work with. Also, as an ad hoc employee, I didn't earn vacation or most other benefits -- but I DID earn sick leave based on number of hours worked, and I could apply sick leave hours to doctor appointments. This was a nice surprise (but the news was only communicated once in a blast email to the whole company, so it would have been easy to miss).

Cons

The pay rate was abominably low (way lower than the baseline for a beginner in my field – yet I have decades of experience). They wanted a senior person for the position but could only pay junior rates. I took it because it was only for a short time, and it sounded like there would be interesting people and challenging responsibilities (which there were). On a personal level, the ICF team never got together (e.g., for lunch or coffee) except for “happy hours” after work, but I don’t drink alcohol, so this was a turn-off. On a professional level, my team lead never shared with me what our greater purpose was, so I really felt like a stranger. I know she went to a lot of meetings, but that was about it. She would give me little jobs to do, and the hours were erratic, averaging about 16 hours a week though they had promised 20 to 30 hours a week average. It was a short contract, and I am relieved to be doing other things now.

Advice to Management

I was hired based solely on a phone interview, which should have been a red flag, as I never met anyone in person until after I was hired. Even meeting the person to do my fingerprints was a problem as that person sent me to the wrong address! TO MANAGEMENT: Figure out how to explain the onboarding process more clearly. When I tried to discover the name of my business unit, I spent WAY more time than was necessary. The same thing happened when I tried to find out how to see and/or print my pay stub via PeopleSoft. Also, please emphasize that employees MUST use Internet Explorer as their browser to access certain web-based features (e.g., pay stubs on PeopleSoft and the employee handbook on the ICF website). Even contacting the help desk was difficult, as they forgot to tell me that it was mandatory to use IE to access Flash-based features (for years, I have used Chrome at home, so this was vital information I could have used at first). They tried to figure out the problem, but it took a number of calls to resolve until someone figured out I wasn’t using IE. (Note: Not everyone accesses ICF online with an ICF laptop, which probably has IE on it.) Having worked at mega corporations (90,000 employees) as well as small organizations (under 100 employees), I experienced far better employee engagement and communication at those companies than I ever did at ICF.

"Mixed Review but GREAT People!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great people. Lots of contact with high-level government executives. The position has great potential.

Cons

Onboarding was confusing, although they do try hard to make it work. Pay is low, but that is probably due to the contract's requirements. Figuring out who my boss is has been a challenge.

Advice to Management

Provide details about how to access key websites for employees who do not use/have an ICF laptop.

4. "Administrative"

Current Employee - Administrative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF part-time

Pros

Great people who are innovative and intelligent.

Cons

I dont really have any cons at this time. Would not feel any feedback I could give woild be helpful or representative.

Advice to Management

Keep up your professionalism and your attention to detail in your work. Your high standards are a sign of excellence.

5. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very different work culture like casual working environment, open door policy throughout the company lot of visibility on their operations

Cons

Networking is the key, you have to be your own mentor and you will not have anyone offering any support to get started but that is pretty much everywhere in this professional world

Advice to Management

None at this time

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work and a wide range of projects. Big company lends itself to good learning opportunities if you look for them. Very good work/life balance, especially for new parents.

Cons

Wide variety in policies and pay between groups. Very difficult to move between groups once you're hired (your supervisor has to release you to apply for an opening).

ICF Response

Feb 1, 2016 – Project Analyst

We are very pleased to hear that work/life balance, especially as a new parent, is something you have achieved! We can understand that moving across groups within the company can be challenging... More

7. "Need balance work hours and expected performance."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Overall the benefits and salary scales were great. Excellent colleagues.

Cons

Working very very long hours. Some time it was crazy.

Advice to Management

It is good to cap work hours. Also provide a scheme for very very long hours work occasionally.

"Good Company with Good Values"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people that share ideas and are passionate about their work

Cons

A growing organizational structure that refuses to bring high performers up to market rate salaries.

Advice to Management

Dont let your talent leave over a couple thousand dollars

"Best of intentions"

Current Employee - Tech Writer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Tech Writer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great corporate history and mission, heavy on scientific/environmental, expanded into Europe, now emphasizing Federal contracting, but non-DOD -- a good thing, if that tracks with your values. A company with a small-time feel, trying to grow up. There are always trade-offs in this phase, but ICF seems to be trying hard to keep their employee focus. See caveats below.

Cons

No preparation for unwary staff on the difference between being a consultant and being an employee. There is a big difference. You must please your client first or you will not last long. As a result, ICF has lost lots of great staff. ICF could do much better at this. Don't let your clients run your company for gods sake. It's death in the long term. Sometimes a company must say no to the client -- for everyone's benefit. But, hey, thanks for listening....

Advice to Management

See above. Do not let your clients end up running your company. Need better middle managers who are good enough to know how to successfully stand up to difficult clients. It's the make-or-break issue for consulting.

"Potential growth, but too many variables with middle and upper management"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ICF is a company that's been on the up for the past several years, but more importantly this growth has been continuous and consistent over that period of time, which to me is a good indication.

Cons

Unfortunately, much of this said growth may depend on the individual working group and line of business (LOB). Some groups and LOBs have shown growth that is reflective of the company as a whole, but if you're in a part of a group/LOB that doesn't pull as much weight, it can be frustrating to watch.

Having been part of numerous projects so far, I have yet to be part of a ICF-led project.; they have all been as a subcontractor, meaning the prime dictates nearly every aspect. I have yet to experience first hand what ICF's "culture and values" really are.

Advice to Management

If the current business strategy yields little to no growth, then maybe some changes in approach is worth considering, rather than repeating the same strategy over and over again.