ICF Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ICF Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • organized tasks & reasonable work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• Many departments allow you to work from home twice a week- they provide you a laptop that you are able to bring home (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Not always good work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do (in 26 reviews)

1. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming to ICF was like a breath a fresh air. There is no micromanaging here. The culture here is much like a family so all opinions/suggestions want to be heard. ICF provides a laptop so the option to work from home is available. Also, the benefits start from day one. There is so much to do and learn in this company. Coffee, tea, pop corn, and oatmeal is always readily available.

Cons

Currently due to construction of he highway, the commute can be a pain depending upon where you are commuting from.

2. "Don't value education"

I have been working at ICF full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, interesting work

Cons

Micromanagement, hire at a level beneath you

"Not Enough Focus on the Employees"

Former Employee - Management in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Richmond, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good compensation
    - Co-workers are great
    - Work is varied

Cons

- Replacing experienced employees with younger, less experienced employees just to make numbers look better
    - Management does not care about employees
    - Not enough communication
    - Employees are increasingly held responsible for additional work with little benefit

Advice to Management

Value your employees and let them know when they are doing well. Also let them know how they can improve.

5. "Good place to work if you don't enjoy engaging work"

Pros

Monthly happy hour and free breakfasts on occasion!

Cons

Very little engagement for lower level employees

6. "IT Specialist/Software Tester"

Former Employee - IT Specialist/QA Tester in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - IT Specialist/QA Tester in Rockville, MD

Pros

A very eco-friendly, employee and management worked well. Company's internal survey shows very positive.

Cons

Fed project oriented in majority, needs to expand business to business.

Advice to Management

Very nice and really appreciated

7. "Personally absolutely great--but this seems to be rare among others"

I worked at ICF full-time

Pros

Great people who are smart, creative, and so hardworking! My bosses were very much willing to invest time and resources to ensure that I excelled at my job. Per the dynamics of the position, I was pulled into a lot of different things all the time, which made it a bit hectic but also very educational

Cons

Pay is severely lower than other companies - was not paid overtime despite having worked an average of 7-10 hours overtime each week. Benefits aren't that great either

Advice to Management

Pay your junior employees more and make sure that they are supported enough to want to stay in the company. You're losing valuable human capital.

8. "Web Content Manager"

I worked at ICF full-time

Pros

They do offer some flexible work schedules. I was able to work remotely for a time. They also offer competitive pay.

Cons

Too much emphasis on working in an "agile" environment when the project, deadlines, and stakeholders do not support the vehicle.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals that use realistic methods - don't just follow a methodology because it looks good on paper. It has to work for the team.

9. "The Best People"

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people, particularly the management, are professional, extremely helpful, foster an inclusive and collaborative atmosphere, and take pride in their work. I genuinely care about producing quality work because of them.
    -The clients are high profile at times, and the projects are interesting.
    -No day or week is the same- I haven't stopped learning since starting with ICF.

Cons

-The job title Research Assistant is belittling and inaccurate. If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do. It is easy to get disgruntled when you are referred to as an assistant.
    -Compensation does not parallel other medium-large consulting firms. High turnover of junior staff is undoubtedly caused by this.

Advice to Management

-Rename RAs "Analysts", and Analysts "Senior Analysts"
    -Pay bump or increased spot bonuses would attract more bright recruits!
    -Recruit earlier at colleges and universities

10. "Potential, Potential, Potential!"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ICF is a great company that provides employees with a huge range of opportunities in so many different fields. Whether you remain in the division you started in, or if you transfer across LOBs there are endless opportunities here. Some may worry that "contract" work wouldn't be consistent, however ICF has entire teams of people solely devoted to landing new work. I really enjoy the work I'm doing.

Cons

ICF is a big company and although that provides a huge amount of opportunity to its employees, sometimes it is easy to get lost in the motions. The process of moving up feels extremely "corporate." You may impress your manager, and your manager's manager, but if the impression doesn't make it the whole way up the ladder you might not advance as quickly as you expect.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about your employees (reports). If they are doing really well make sure they know it. If they deserve a promotion fight for them. Make them feel like someone is fighting for them. Even if the promotion doesn't come at least they'll feel like someone fought for them.

11. "Good work, less salary"

Current Employee - Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Applications Developer

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great and challenging work. I enjoyed working here.

Cons

salary is less compared to other companies