ICF Reviews | Glassdoor

ICF Reviews

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We work really hard on a variety of challenging topics but also have good work-life balance (in 82 reviews)

• flexible schedule and some work from home possibilities (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Not always good work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do (in 26 reviews)

1. "Excellent opportunities to develop operational and client-facing experience"

I worked at ICF full-time

Pros

Value-driven results were always identified by management who actively supported career development through exposure to various areas of the business. Training and work-life balance were conducive to career development, as well.

Cons

Observed problems typical in management consulting where bid price points were often driven by hard working entry-level teams. As a result, career trajectories became unclear as the leap from entry level to middle management was considered.

Advice to Management

Actively seek entry/mid-level champions to manage RA and Associates.

2. "requirement analyst"

Pros

good, caring and professional project manager

Cons

salary is not that competitive

Advice to Management

na

"Must bill 40 hours"

Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, free hot chocolate

Cons

Ridiculous billing requirements for lower level employees. We must bill 40 hours a week, but we have to go to so many meetings and do so many non-billable tasks that we have to work 50 hours to get 40 billable.
    Flex time is only for higher level employees. The only time I received flex time is when they let me work from home because of snow. Managers use flex time so much they are never in.
    No specific sick leave. Earned leave must be used for any days off, including government shutdown if you are working on a government contract.

Advice to Management

Change your billing system. You claim to want innovation, but how can we innovate when we constantly worry about how to bill the time

"So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming to ICF was like a breath a fresh air. There is no micromanaging here. The culture here is much like a family so all opinions/suggestions want to be heard. ICF provides a laptop so the option to work from home is available. Also, the benefits start from day one. There is so much to do and learn in this company. Coffee, tea, pop corn, and oatmeal is always readily available.

Cons

Currently due to construction of he highway, the commute can be a pain depending upon where you are commuting from.

Dear currently employee,
    Welcome to the ICF family! We are glad to read that your experience is positive so far and that you are able to take advantage of the work from home option. We hope that... More

"Hit or Miss"

I have been working at ICF full-time

Pros

-Working from home
    -Nice office environment
    -Friendly colleagues/staff
    -Free snacks

Cons

-Low pay for the level of work
    -Unable to cross-bill hours for different projects
    -Being stuck on projects in which you have no interest
    -Not much room for growth mentally or financially (Although you may advance in title, your pay does not really increase)
    -Annual reviews are almost worthless (No matter how hard you work or lack thereof, almost everyone receives the same percentage increase)

Advice to Management

-Sometimes it is better to have less events/parties and use the funds to pay your employees
    -Pay attention and be grateful for your employees that actually work hard and make you look good

"Not Enough Focus on the Employees"

Former Employee - Management in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Richmond, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good compensation
    - Co-workers are great
    - Work is varied

Cons

- Replacing experienced employees with younger, less experienced employees just to make numbers look better
    - Management does not care about employees
    - Not enough communication
    - Employees are increasingly held responsible for additional work with little benefit

Advice to Management

Value your employees and let them know when they are doing well. Also let them know how they can improve.

Dear former employee,
    Thank you for your positive feedback regarding ICF’s benefits and compensation.
    We have also shared your feedback and concerns regarding communication with Leadership... More

7. "IT Specialist/Software Tester"

Former Employee - IT Specialist/QA Tester in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - IT Specialist/QA Tester in Rockville, MD

Pros

A very eco-friendly, employee and management worked well. Company's internal survey shows very positive.

Cons

Fed project oriented in majority, needs to expand business to business.

Advice to Management

Very nice and really appreciated

May 10, 2017 – Project Analyst

Thank you for the review and all star rating! We appreciate the feedback and hope you will consider working with us again in the future.

"Don't value education"

I have been working at ICF full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, interesting work

Cons

Micromanagement, hire at a level beneath you

Dear current employee,
    Thank you for taking the time to write a short review. We would welcome the opportunity to chat with you to better your concerns about education. If you are open to it, you... More

9. "The Best People"

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people, particularly the management, are professional, extremely helpful, foster an inclusive and collaborative atmosphere, and take pride in their work. I genuinely care about producing quality work because of them.
    -The clients are high profile at times, and the projects are interesting.
    -No day or week is the same- I haven't stopped learning since starting with ICF.

Cons

-The job title Research Assistant is belittling and inaccurate. If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do. It is easy to get disgruntled when you are referred to as an assistant.
    -Compensation does not parallel other medium-large consulting firms. High turnover of junior staff is undoubtedly caused by this.

Advice to Management

-Rename RAs "Analysts", and Analysts "Senior Analysts"
    -Pay bump or increased spot bonuses would attract more bright recruits!
    -Recruit earlier at colleges and universities

May 10, 2017 – Project Analyst

Thank you for your insight on the career path titles. Great minds think alike! We are currently in the process of reviewing our career path and related titles for a refresh. Also, we are... More

10. "Potential, Potential, Potential!"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ICF is a great company that provides employees with a huge range of opportunities in so many different fields. Whether you remain in the division you started in, or if you transfer across LOBs there are endless opportunities here. Some may worry that "contract" work wouldn't be consistent, however ICF has entire teams of people solely devoted to landing new work. I really enjoy the work I'm doing.

Cons

ICF is a big company and although that provides a huge amount of opportunity to its employees, sometimes it is easy to get lost in the motions. The process of moving up feels extremely "corporate." You may impress your manager, and your manager's manager, but if the impression doesn't make it the whole way up the ladder you might not advance as quickly as you expect.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about your employees (reports). If they are doing really well make sure they know it. If they deserve a promotion fight for them. Make them feel like someone is fighting for them. Even if the promotion doesn't come at least they'll feel like someone fought for them.

Dear current employee,
    Thanks for the detailed review and the 4 star rating! We are glad to read that you enjoy the work you are doing at ICF. We agree that employee recognition is important. Did... More