ICF Senior Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
ICF Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We work really hard on a variety of challenging topics but also have good work-life balance (in 82 reviews)

• flexible schedule and some work from home possibilities (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Not always good work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do (in 26 reviews)

1. "Great Place!"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is definitely diversity in people, and inclusive if you find the right department. Employee engagement activities, professional development opportunities, teleworking options, and meaningful work.

Cons

Lacks diversity in top level management positions.

Advice to Management

Be open to promoting people who don't look like you.

"Couldn't get out faster"

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you on time

Cons

One of the most soulless and profit driven companies I've ever worked for. Micromanagement down to the 15 min increments on time sheets, 95% utilization targets while trying to pull in new business AND win proposals. Management knows targets are ludicrous but sets them anyway all the while doing nothing in the face of changing business climates. When I get frustrated in my new job I think of how bad it was at icf and I feel better.

Advice to Management

Rethink utilization targets and set realistic goals. Set people above profit and profits will come in. Also don't play with people with salaries - pay your good people!

May 10, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear former employee,
    We’re sorry you had a less than positive experience at ICF, but we do appreciate your sharing your thoughts. We plan to share this further with leadership, since they’re always... More

3. "Employees Communication Refreshing"

Current Contractor - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Human resources ensures on-boarding is smooth and informative, best experience I've had in my professional career (efforts led by Leslie Taylor and David Parrish). Company has a robust internal communication plan to keep employees engaged, informed and aware of company happenings.

Cons

Hard to build relationships with team members when working remotely but that's the challenge of consulting, not a product of company.

Advice to Management

Continue to make employee internal communications at the forefront of business practices.

Feb 1, 2017 – Project Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review and for sharing your positive experience with our Talent Acquisition team. We have shared your kind feedback with Leslie and David directly.

"Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I had an excellent experience during the interview and on-boarding process. The HR team and my manager were great. Not to mention my on-boarding buddy! Great concept. It made the process stress-free and fun. Excited about continuing my career with ICF.

Cons

I wish they offered more health coverage options in the benefit plan. They only offer HDHP plans or Kaiser HMO. I didn't want to lose my physician so I had to select a HDHP plan, which will require a lot of out of pocket expenses.

Advice to Management

Keep the on-boarding buddy system. It is great.

Feb 1, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear current employee, welcome to the ICF family! Glad to hear about your positive recruiting and onboarding experience. We will ensure your feedback is shared with the Human Resources team.

5. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've recently joined the company, and so far I love it here! People are great, everyone is helpful and collaborative. I like the professionalism and integrity of ICF staff as a whole. Flexible hours and ability to work from home are major advantages!

Cons

benefits package, particularly 401K matching, could be improved on.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Dec 30, 2016 – Project Analyst

Dear New ICFer,
    We are pleased to hear that your first few weeks have gone well. Thanks for the positive review. We hope you heard the news that our benefit costs remained flat this year, while... More

"ICF(Ironworks)"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time

Pros

Long term projects with clients, Good benefits.

Cons

Have lost the niche/client service that was when part of Ironworks Consulting. Too many acquisitions/mergers. Paltry raises.

Dec 19, 2016 – Project Analyst

Dear ICF(Ironworks),
    It is our greatest hope you (and your fellow ICFers) have the autonomy to provide the individual ‘client service’ your long term clients desire. We believe regardless how large... More

"Senior Research Associate (I would not recommend working here)"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is only for my team- there are dozens of divisions and teams throughout ICF and each one can be completely different.
    - Fascinating projects
    - Passionate staff
    - Good work/life balance (for me. I know many others that did not have a good work/life balance)
    - Good benefits

Cons

- Extremely low salary compared to comparable positions at other companies
    - 2-3% pay raises, if you're lucky.
    - Clear gender wage gap- a male co-worker with 6 years less experience was hired for the same position in a higher starting salary
    - This team routinely hires people below their education, experience, and skill level
    - Inexperienced senior management
    - Zero flexibility for telecommuting on this specific team, even though large portions of ICF employees are telecommuters. This was despite having a 3-5 hour commute per day.
    - Very high turnover in staff- can't keep good staff members because we're not treated well.

Advice to Management

Hire people for positions that match their education, experience, and skill level. Pay people what they're worth. Simply saying that ICF's salaries are the same as other companies doesn't make it true.

Oct 3, 2016 – Project Analyst

Thank you for your candid feedback on your experience with ICF. We strive to pay salaries that are competitive in our different lines of business, and provide merit increases based on performance... More

"Low Pay and Raises+Slow Promotion+Poor Health Insurance"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Communications Specialist/Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at ICF (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most groups offer pretty flexible telecommuting options. The office spaces are okay. Other than the flexible schedule, there's really not much else to say.

Cons

I was there for 5 years in the strategic communications dept. and got promoted once. They like to say they are a real "pr agency" but they really aren't they are third-rate business services firm. The upper management (i.e. manager level and above) are untalented and not serious about their own careers so unsurprisingly they aren't serious about moving mid-level employees into entry-level management. This place was a waste of time for me. Please don't get trapped! I held out hope year-after-year thinking next year I'll get a decent increase (i.e. anything above 2%) but it never came...after asking around, I learned that almost everyone received annual increases of around b/t 1-2 percent! I knew I had to go...no flexible schedule is worth being stuck in the same position/salary for 5 years. If you're serious about a communications/pr/marketing career...you should steer clear of ICF.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to be respectful of mid-level employees who are serious about their careers and assist them with moving to the next level in a serious way.

Nov 17, 2016 – Project Analyst

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with ICF career management. ICF fosters workforce mobility and encourages employees to take charge of their careers by offering rich internal learning... More

9. "Decent"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

recruits talented people, cutting edge, gives opportunity to grow carrer

Cons

pay, lack of promotions. glass ceiling. to get what you're worth, you need to leave get another degree and come back.

Jun 21, 2016 – Project Analyst

Dear former employee,
    Thanks for leaving a review of your experience.
    We wish you had considered staying and capitalizing on our tuition reimbursement. This is something we are happy to offer our... More

10. "Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office and location. Friendly colleagues. Work/life balance is great especially compared to the company I came here from. Tools available for employees are top-notch. The overall environment is perfect for me. Definitely recommend ICF and extremely happy I decided to come here.

Cons

I have no Cons to report

May 20, 2016 – Project Analyst

Thanks for the review! We are glad to hear that your experience is positive thus far!