ICF Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

ICF Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not always good work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do (in 26 reviews)

1. "ICF is for sure a GO company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Super diverse. Co-workers are genuine and friendly, management is open-minded and inspire you to be creative and yourself. Lots of benefits and perks - like telecommuting and even pet insurance.

Cons

ICF grew a lot by acquiring other companies, so they are still working on building one single culture. There is no clear career path for Project Controls yet.

Advice to Management

Great company, with hand-on leadership. Need to work more on unifying the culture and reviewing the career path per the diversity of work the company manages.

2. "Senior Community Health Advisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A place for creative, innovative and determined individuals

Cons

Not having enough Paid time off

3. "ICF is a wonderful company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ICF has been a great company to work for. I enjoy the work I do and have had opportunities to take on new tasks that i'm interested in. I have learned a lot and appreciate the flexibility that ICF offers.

Cons

For me, there haven't been any cons to working here. It has been a great fit for me.

4. "DIRECTOR AND COO / CFO"

Current Employee - Director and Chief Operating Officer/Chief Financial Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great company, a very impactful organization.

Cons

Limited mandate, wish did not have a finite mandate

Advice to Management

Replicate the results in other companies

"principal"

Former Employee - Principal in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Principal in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent work environment with open door policy with most managers; good opportunities to work on key policy and current issues; opportunity to grow quickly at junior levels; well known for expertise in environmental issues; decent level of independence for senior managers

Cons

no structure for growth beyond manager position; constant pressure to keep yourself billable with client work; very little opportunity to switch domains or verticals; no support on career growth beyond manager level - you are on your own to get projects.

Advice to Management

start looking beyond quarterly results to sustain the company; invest in your employees, especially those who have been loyal; develop a plan to rehabilitate employees when there is business downturn in one area; cut the fat - too many senior folks who do not bring in revenue and are simply "in-charge" of something - too many darn layers; give junior staff better salary (currently below even the average); stop making unrelated acquisitions with vastly different work cultures (employees have paid the price for past misadventures); be a bit more honest with employees (constantly stating that business is doing well when things are going downhill is obvious to employees, only to be later on followed by the annual layoff cycles)

6. "Senior Assiocate"

Former Employee - Cancer Program Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Cancer Program Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, Excellent employee benefits such as paid vacations paid educational opportunities. Annual bonuses. Company Travel Office handles all travel.

Cons

No pending new opportunities when nearing the end of a contact.

Advice to Management

none

7. "Learned"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a member of the Talent Acquisition Team, I learned a lot and gained valuable business experience and insight. I worked with some talented individuals who like me worked hard to provide great service and quality to my internal customers. The working environment was always professional with the exception of the small cramped offices with no windows. (Window offices were typically reserved for managers. Or, for those recruiters who were really liked by the recruiting managers).

Cons

Working at ICF was not always rainbows and butterflies. The business groups were often difficult and preferred to re-create the process wheel so that it would benefit them directly. A handful of leaders within these groups were frankly obnoxious which contradicted executive leaderships’ philosophy that ICF does not hire or tolerate mean spirited behavior.

If you plan to work for ICF as a recruiter you need to accept the fact that the businesses you support will often control your career destiny. There were several occasions when my colleagues were treated unfairly by the business simply because a business executive did not like the recruiter. You'll also need to realize that the career paths for recruiters is very limited.

Compensation is another con. You can’t continue to pay seasoned recruiters or recruiters with long ICF tenure below market. If this isn’t addressed more recruiters will resign. In addition to compensation, the cost of benefits is high compared to that of other similar companies.

On a final note, recruiting teams need to have the ability to market/brand and communicate their openings as they see fit. They need to own their creativity. Most of all, they need to have the support of their corporate communications team. This is not the case at ICF. The corporate communications team was extremely difficult and was often combative of TA’s marketing/branding efforts. It was their way to no way at all.

The problem with belief is that most marketing/communications professionals have no concept of a job applicant’s mindset. TA knows best in these instances and should have full control or least the support of corporate. At the end of the day, it’s one ICF!

Advice to Management

Improve compensation, find more effective ways of lowering costs of benefits, and treat your staff consistently.

"Review of ICF"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, not intellectually demanding

Cons

Contracts ended very quickly, and it seemed I was constantly scrambling to be placed on a new project. Also difficult to get promoted.

9. "Technical Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Teams have a lot of independence.

Cons

Been here a while. As the company has gotten larger become a bit more bureaucratic with internal processes.

Advice to Management

Talk more about what corporate growth means for individual advancement and career opportunities. Less about stock growth.

10. "A good place to work"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful/Caring team
    Off-hands generally
    Great pay an benefits
    Great company filled with great people

Cons

Slow in career growth
    Not many cons but when there is the "slow season" expect to be twiddling your fingers, waiting for work