ICMA-RC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Robert Schultze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Since the company is in a state of transition, there are still times when new ideas take a while to be accepted (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICMA-RC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth and to learn a lot of new skills

Cons

Unrealistic work expectations at times

Advice to Management

Making more strategic decisions that allow the company to operate more efficiently. We are moving in the right direction but we need to continue down that path

"A Mom and Pop place for an easy life"

I have been working at ICMA-RC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Business Casual
    -People are friendly
    -Easy job = easy stable life to retirement
    -Benefits
    -If you are friends with a high up, you'll get the promotion
    -Professional development classes
    -If you don't feel like coming in, just "work from home"

Cons

-Product and technology is dated
    -Everyone gets a presidential award for no reason except they're manager had time to write why they deserve a financial reward
    -Mostly mid to bottom level talent pool works here. No go getters or A types.
    -Competition is better

Advice to Management

-Let employees grade/review the management
    -Let's become a subsidiary of a big competitor so we can have better financial and technological resources. Clients don't care about our mission, just the cheapest bidder
    -Try to be more proactive with competition instead of reactive.
    -Fire half the senior leadership and replace it with some Ivy League millenials that could change what we do wrong(almost everything)

3. "Very Laidback"

Pros

Job security and location. If you look for routine things at job, then this is he company

Cons

No scope for progress. No IT processes and good technology leaders.

4. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICMA-RC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ICMA-RC is a well run company with a mission that you can feel good to be a part of. The pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Commuting to DC can be a pain in the neck, but ICMA-RC is located 2 blocks from Union Station so that is good.

Advice to Management

Management seems to be very smart and has been making good decisions in order to meet competitive challenges.

"Company in Transition"

I have been working at ICMA-RC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very accommodating in terms of benefits. As well, the company is in a place of transition which makes working here very exciting with new challenges every day.

Cons

Since the company is in a state of transition, there are still times when new ideas take a while to be accepted.

6. "Very Happy"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICMA-RC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and benefits. Good compensation and job security.

Cons

Company is going through a lot of changes but is handling them all professionally and openly so staff are aware and kept informed.

"Great place to work - challening times - but they are facing them head on"

I have been working at ICMA-RC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I have worked with have been very respectful, helpful, and caring. Compared to my previous companies, less politics.
    Very good benefit program. They put like 10% to my 401K every year and I believe the bonus will be a good percentage of my salary as well.
    Commitment to success - there are a lot of challenging things happening in the industry, but I am very hopeful as I see all the signs that ICMA-RC is doing all they can to face those challenges head on.
    Very diverse group of people.
    Great location - right next to Union station, this is big for me

Cons

There are tons of changes in the industry with a lot of competition; therefore, there are a lot of changes happening at ICMA-RC - this could be challenging to some people.

Not too much fresh leadership coming from outside at Senior Manager, Director, VP levels. I believe this could cause stagnation, and complacency, and the less likelihood to continually improve processes, which is needed for great customer service. However, recently a new VP was brought in that I do believe is helping to raise the standards.

"Managing Director"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at ICMA-RC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission helping public sector employees solve retirement problems. Rank and file workers were good to work with; dedicated, hard-working, caring.

Cons

Management is isolated from the rank and file and operates in a different sphere. Seems to be unaware or uncaring regarding the needs of the average worker. Resources necessary to accomplish job were often scarce. The organization is a sales organization even though it is not-for profit. This was not well understood and affected the acquisition and retention of business.

Advice to Management

Recognize what the organization is and apply it to the mission. Don't be afraid of the sales culture, simply "sell" it to the clients with the help of the staff under you.

"Retirement Plans Specialist"

Former Employee - Retirement Plan Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Retirement Plan Specialist in San Jose, CA

I worked at ICMA-RC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall a good group of people to work with if you're out in the field.

Cons

A high level of incompetency in the home office.

"Get What You Need and Get Out"

Pros

Good location, decent benefits, some nice people. Good products.

Cons

- Departments with too many VPs who do a lot of nothing, but think it's their job to point out everything you did wrong instead of actually lead. Some of them literally stay in their offices all day with their doors closed. The others walk around with their noses in the air or scowling.
    - A completely useless HR department that enables inefficient, widely despised managers and VPs by not acting on employee complaints and well documented problems. There are a few managers in particular who have had terrible reputations and dysfunctional teams for years, yet they still have jobs. Meanwhile, new talent leaves in droves while the dinosaurs stay.
    - Inefficient processes and outdated technologies. Very resistant to new ideas and fresh perspectives, which is why they are losing business to larger, more effective competitors. People have been there so long they have no perspective on how the big picture looks - and it shows.
    -Limited mobility. Only a handful of people seem to move around and advance, even though recruiters sell the company on being a place you can build a career. That is until you find that there are literally people all over the company who have never worked anywhere else and will probably never leave - and they don't want to see anyone new get ahead or grow. If you have a brain and a solid background outside of that place, forget it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the managers and VPs you know are running unhappy, unstable, revolving door teams. You know who they are and refuse to fix the issues. Deal with it or you will continue to see good workers walk out of the door.