ICU Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Vivek Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is easy, excellence or high performance is not demanded (in 3 reviews)

• Generally friendly people, relaxed dress code, profit sharing, employee stock purchase plan, smaller company feel (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If I had to think of something it might be that one or more of the upper management is quite the micromanager (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover in most departments (in 3 reviews)

1. "ICU Medical Quality Laboratories"

Current Employee - Chemistry Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Chemistry Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Committed peers, critical medical products to the US health system makes the plant a very stable business. New owner of plant is open to making changes to improve.

Cons

Little innovation historically, generic products lead to low profit margin for products. Aging facility needs quite a bit of work to stay working.

Advice to Management

Compliance is of utmost importance to maintain the perception of high quality product from our facilities, but changes must be made to enhance ease of correct job performance hand in hand with corrective changes to reduce errors.

2. "Working at ICU Medical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn manufacturing process. Good people to work with.

Cons

Employment is based on how well sales are doing, so either need emoyee numbers and shift change based on needs.

3. "Production worker in automation"

Pros

Free coffee, nice supervisors and leads at night willing to help. And an in house Gym to work out in.

Cons

Working night shift with no shift pay differential. Every night there is some crazy HOT project that got over looked. No support groups on nights with same expectations. High turnover in most departments.

Advice to Management

Give employees more opportunity to voice opinions on improving the work place.

"Bare Minimum"

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company with a solid record or producing profit

Cons

Corporate views all wins in market share as their effort's success not as a team effort; throw some pennies to the underlings

A solid track record of reducing employee benefits over the last three years.
    - Paid time off (sick and vacation) went from 20 days down to 16 in 2015
    - As of 2015 they refused to pay you for time off you accumulated upon departure (however they still do in California due to state law requirement)
    - No negotiation for vacation upon being hired. 16 days is it.
    - The best benefit, the employee stock purchase program, has been eliminated as of 2017
    - No raise in pay (not even a cost of living increase) was given to any Salt Lake employee in 2016 (at least middle management and below). This was despite a VERY successful prior year.

They have a very hard time recruiting people and they have lost an alarming amount of experienced manpower in the past year and a half. Many positions have been open for over a year. That's not just because of a good economy.

There is a growing feeling that corporate and local top management cares little for employees (I felt this when I left and I still keep in contact with friends there)

Advice to Management

There's nothing mentioned above that management isn't aware of because it was their making. Four years ago ICU was a good company with good management. Every good manager or director has been replaced by the CEO's or plant manager's regime.
    Advice:
    Start realizing that the company is successful because of the good people you have left. Start treating them like human beings instead of begrudged expenses.

5. "Lost ESPP benefits"

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time

Pros

The working environment is good. Decent PTO amount.

Cons

Loss of ESPP benefit is substantial.

6. "Quality Control Technician"

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, benefits are okay.

Cons

Too much is expected from employees. Not willing to let anyone work overtime.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, make sure your department is adequately staffed.

7. "Good company to work for would recommend"

Former Employee - Material Handler
    Former Employee - Material Handler

I worked at ICU Medical (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shift benefits and the people I worked with.

Cons

Lay off and lots of favoritism

Advice to Management

Get rid off them

"Upper management operates with dollar signs in their eyes."

Current Employee - Operational Excellence Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operational Excellence Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like being complacent, dislike change, and want to give lip service for project completion for the rest of your career: work here! Frankly, it’s rewarded

Cons

Upper management (known as “staff”) are not in touch, whatsoever, to the reality of how the plant operations are performing. Their metrics are fundamentally flawed. When you arrive, the method for tracking performance seems meticulous and could make sense, but after closer examination it hurts rather than helps.

This organization believes that doing fancy paperwork can make certain areas of the plant appear in the green vs red. What is our cost in this area? “Well right now we are in the red with our cost, but if I calculate it for next year, we are fine.. so we don’t have to worry about it.”

Every week, management boasts about great financials being achieved, but there is a huge push on saving money. Why do we have to save money if we’re already making it? No answer. What is our goal? “$X million.” How did you get that figure? “Oh, we made it up.” (This is NOT an exaggeration)

Certain staff members are treated as authority, even though there are others in the organization that have way more training. This is a money hungry bureaucracy at its finest. “They are on staff and said this, therefore, you’re wrong”

The most alarming thing about this plant is: in the halls/where people can hear, safety is a #1 priority. Behind closed doors, though, I was told specifically “do not focus on safety, our goal is cost savings”

Talk about putting money before people.

Advice to Management

The sad thing is.... you can’t give management any advice because they’re so narrow minded and self-preserving that they won’t take it.

"Client Relationship Executive"

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have a good HR department that follows through on requests.

Cons

Do not appreciate loyal employees. Within a month of buying Hospira, they had a conference call and laid off all the CRM/CRE folks.

"Call Me Maybe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This from a Hospira to Pfizer to ICU perspective. Most people are friendly and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Below market salary. No annual pay increases. Bad work/life balance. My manager is a micromanager (some are and some are not). Little to no opportunities for career advancement. Very little communication from San Clemente to Lake Forest. More importantly, lack of communication regarding the strategic direction of the company. It's more than likely ICU will be sold to a proper Pharma company by 2020. CEO is good for investors but not employees. A lot of nepotism and hiring of friends who are useless.

Advice to Management

Please let us know what your grand plan is. How are we supposed to know how to go about our work if we don't know what goal we are striving for?