ICU Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Vivek Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is easy, excellence or high performance is not demanded (in 3 reviews)

• Generally friendly people, relaxed dress code, profit sharing, employee stock purchase plan, smaller company feel (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If I had to think of something it might be that one or more of the upper management is quite the micromanager (in 5 reviews)

• High turnover in most departments (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work for a self starter"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the freedom to do your job and get results without being micromanaged. You are judged by the results you achieve, not by how some mid level supervisor thinks you've done. Great environment for someone who knows what they want and knows how to do a good job without constant supervision. Very little politics. Work hard play hard kind of environment.

Cons

Could use more formal training for some aspects of the job and the clinical education for reps could be beefed up, but the tools are there if you need them. Lots of long tenured employees, so upward mobility may be tougher than at some churn and burn companies out there.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and keep the good parts in tact.

"Great products, great people, great company"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has grown from a "Who?" company to THE leader in its field in just 20 years......I have been in the medical sales industry for 30+ years; 15+ with ICU Medical. It has been a long and fun ride. We knew what we wanted to accomplish then, and we became the leader in this industry. That mentality will live forever at ICU Medical......

Cons

At times I feel we grew to quick. Sales management, at times, has a lot to be desired. Thoes promoted into management, again, at times, were not deserving and promoted for the wrong reasons.

Advice to Management

Delegate, delegate, delagate..........

"I like this place . . ."

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products that always focus on solving a clinical need. Good environment, not a lot of politics. I like being part of a company that makes things that help people. We do.

Cons

It's hard having headquarters and manufacturing be separated by two states. Feels a bit disconnected and siloed at times. Not sure how to fix it other than moving headquarters to Salt Lake City, but I don't think many people would want to make the move from San Clemente to make that happen.

Advice to Management

Keep building the company and provide opportunities for people to grow in their responsibilities and be recognized for the good work they do.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Junior Product Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Product Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Managers, Great people work for this company

Cons

Restructured after 20+ years of success

Advice to Management

None

"Moving in the right direction . . ."

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has been very successful for a very long time despite very lax oversight and management and a jock culture that was sometimes difficult to figure out, let alone break into if you didn't play hockey. New CEO came in and reorganized the company, cutting some positions that were redundant--especially in the field sales force. I think it was the right thing, but time will tell. At least he was trying to actively make a difference, something that hasn't happened for a while. And he promised to use the company's vast cash reserves to build and grow. I hope the moves prove to be successful. I like it here.

Cons

The restructuring is new, and whenever something new is put in place it takes a while for people to get over the shock of change and begin pulling in the same direction. Some people, who may have liked the fact that they weren't really held accountable in the past, have left. Others are grumbling and missing the old days. Others are stepping up and embracing the new roles. At the end of the day, I think we'll pull this off.

Advice to Management

Be flexible, listen to people, and don't allow the negative murmurings stop the positive changes. And don't be afraid to make changes in senior positions.

6. "My Review"

Former Employee - Automated Machine Operator in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Automated Machine Operator in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Terrible HR department that is stuck on themselves.

Advice to Management

Great management

7. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at ICU Medical (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance with a new PTO program and really good benefit plans.

Cons

Nothing I can think of now

8. "Critical Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Critical Care Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Critical Care Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company from any angle

Cons

Don't like to work you won't get paid

Advice to Management

Keep it up

9. "Distribution"

Current Employee - Distribution in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Distribution in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Been working for Hospira/Pfizer/ICU Medical 10 years.
     We take tremendous pride in what we do. Hospira was the leader in IV generics.
    ICU medical acquired Hospira from Pfizer for 50 cents of the dollar. Company is undergoing growing pains.
     ICU Medical is destined for growth in 2018-19.
    traditional benefits. Great 401k 7% match with 5% contribution. Reputable products. Great CEO with passion and vision.

Cons

Very poor medical benefits.
    No profits this year in solutions Pfizer siphoned our pipeline. = no raises.
    Hospira legacy has been dismantled, for that reason we are in ICU recovering.

Advice to Management

Legacy employees blamed for Pfizer decisions. Believe in Hospira legacy.
    Stop trying to source things out. Losing too many great people. Invest in Austin TX. Grow back consumables such as vaccines and too will the reputation.
    Don't outsource your logistics, it will bite you back in 5 years. Service- service- service levels that's what we do best.
    Reduce staffing by trimming the fat and overlapping positions. Remember Hospira was a leader with a culture of sustainable growth. Trust we beat the competition again and again. Training wheels need to come off and make separation form Pfizer.

10. "Great Family Oriented Company"

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for if you're after something long term and reliable. Everybody here wants to do good in the world, since the company is so patient and caregiver oriented. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Because everyone cares so much, this can cause some tension and division. It is fairly one-dimensional in the way of career advancement.