ICU Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Vivek Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance with a new PTO program and really good benefit plans (in 3 reviews)

• Generally friendly people, relaxed dress code, profit sharing, employee stock purchase plan, smaller company feel (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If I had to think of something it might be that one or more of the upper management is quite the micromanager (in 5 reviews)

"Completely Oblivious and Incompetent Senior Management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The only pro to working here is the slightly above average pay but it quickly is overcome by all the cons that you have to deal with from day to day.

Cons

Pretty much all of senior management has absolutely no clue of what is actually going on in the company. When they make decisions it has a negitive impact on the business 95% of the time. I have never witnessed the level of incompetence at any company I have ever worked for in my life that I have experienced while at ICU Medical. It is as if they are trying to do everything in their power to drive the company into the ground.

The unfortunate part is that they do actually have a few very talented employees working there but I can't imagine that they will stick around very long term with the way the company is being run.

Talent is never recognised. The company is plagued with internal politics. I have seen many people relocate to take a position here to regret it later. If you are looking at possibly working here or are offered a job from here, the best advice I could give you is drop it and never look back, this place is a disaster and the way it is going it will never improve.

Advice to Management

Fire all senior management ans start from scratch, it is the only way it can possibly improve.

"Lies, deception, and loathing"

Pros

Pay is good. Benefits are good.

Cons

Employment by fear. Trust no one.

Advice to Management

Go pound sand. You're truly worthless.

3. "Issues constantly regarding nonpayment of commissions and company nepotism."

Former Employee - Oncology Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Oncology Product Specialist

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of managerial oversight. The only good thing about working for this company was the bond with the great people in the sales division and the fact you didn't have to work much because you wouldn't be compensated for your efforts anyway.

Cons

Horrible, ambiguous commission plan. Poorly developed products due to management ignoring feedback from field reps.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about executive compensation for upper management who does little or nothing to generate sales and concentrate on field reps compensation. They are the ones driving the sales and lack of compensation for them created apathy and terrible morale.

4. "New CEO= bad news!"

Pros

The products are the best on the market.

Cons

There Is a lot of competition in the market and more to come. They need more products to survive. Will probably sell the company soon. Management knows nothing and they make really stupid decisions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees in the field and reward those who succeed. Get upper management to delegate responsibilities instead of having one man run the entire company.

"Quality"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was slightly higher than other locations and fairly compensated. Cell phones for each technical employee. Great database tracking of a high volume product. Employee Stock Purchase Plan at a discount. Investments in new equipment. In-house machining. Benefits were on par with surrounding area.

Cons

Limited career growth within business. Lean culture was void. Loosely based on lean tools. Company reached its stock and growth apex under former CEO Dr. Lopez. The company has a bolus of projects that often are unresolved actions from product launches. It seemed like product quality essential risk mitigation and safety verification testing were often sacrificed for rapid design development. Its philosophy of getting the product out quickly and "letting the market determine whether it is good through discovery of the defects", was an unnecessary risk game with the public health.

Advice to Management

Improve quality management through a restructure with educated, experienced people. Initiate a supplier quality program.

"Difficult, toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO has recognized the need for radical changes. Salaries are above industry' averages. They want to attract talent. Work/Life balance is easy, excellence or high performance is not demanded. New Upper Management is attempting to improve performance.

Cons

Toxic environment created by long tenure employees. Many of them lack any significant empirical knowledge, or experience prior to ICU; creating a pervasive tunnel vision syndrome in so many areas. A number of them were promoted within from the assembly/front lines to office positions; which could be positive, if the promotions were based on proven skills. Unfortunately, due to their tenure there, those long-tenure underperforming employees are almost impossible to remove. Most of them have not invested any energy in education (not improving overall team knowledge), or making themselves marketable; therefore, they are unable to find similar jobs/salaries elsewhere. A significant number of them are ill prepared for their decision making roles. A number of Mid Level Managers, Supervisors and even "Corporate" Managers have not achieved pertinent training beyond GEDs or High School Diplomas at the most; and that will be perfectly acceptable, if they were skilled AND had had other significant leadership roles prior to ICU that could had prepared them for their current roles, (which is not the case). Granted. Substantial training and higher education do not necessarily define competence; however, this education void is so evident in the prevalent incompetency hindering this organization that it merits your attention. Results: environment where unskilled individuals will lie, and throw others under the bus at any opportunity in order to keep their jobs. Unhealthy work environment; which can be traced back to people knowing that they will not qualify for similar roles in the job market. Talented, marketable employees do not stay beyond the time required to fulfill signing bonuses, or relocation agreements. If you want to be part of a winning team, and feel proud to represent your employer, then, this might not be the right environment for you. When I accepted their offer, a colleague warned me about ICU's reputation, but I dismissed his observation as just another disgruntled former employee's opinion. I thought that I would be part of the solution. I wish I had listened. Maybe, it will work out for you. I finally left after accepting a decent job offer. Good Luck.

Advice to Management

Review titles, and salaries. Titles are exaggerated for their skill levels; resulting in having untalented, inexperience, and uneducated people making inappropriate decisions at so many levels. Implement performance review processes to weed out under performers, and with some effort, removing them or, at least ,demoting them back to more appropriate roles.

"Worst Company ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good products
    Hard working employees
    Right off the freeway
    Offer benefits
    Stock has doubled in less than a year.

Cons

Management cares only about making money for the company. They are a no debt company with millions in the bank. Their employees are overworked and they won't hire anyone. They keep promising that we would get shift diff or that we would have a PTO program and still we have nothing.

Advice to Management

Care about the people who make the product and not just about yourself.

ICU Medical Response

Apr 5, 2016 – Vp of HR

Great news! ICU Medical implemented a new PTO program at the beginning of 2016. New employees are eligible for up to 3 weeks of PTO in addition to 11 PAID Company holidays on an annual basis.

"Horrible company and management"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ICU Medical (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent but not worth working for a horrible organization

Cons

Very high turnover, tyrannical upper management, horrible training, sink or swim mentality, have zero respect for their employees, very disfinctional culture

Advice to Management

Change everything

9. "Poorly ran HR"

Former Employee - Material Shift Lead in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Material Shift Lead in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and some people were nice to work with. Since I was a shift lead I could do what I wanted to.

Cons

You can't be open with HR. Fired me for time theft because I told on someone else that was doing time theft. Worst company EVER!!

Advice to Management

Agree to what you say in the interviews. Get rid of the HR and start over.

"Blind Leading the Blind"

Current Employee - Manager in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good.

Cons

If you're looking for an employer that's competent in communication, vision & execution your wasting your time joining this one. For a publicly traded company it sure seems like amateur hour.

Advice to Management

Step up and get your arms around the people & business or step aside.