ID.me Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Blake Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working at ID.me"

I have been working at ID.me full-time

Pros

- Ability to make a difference both as a member of the team and as an individual
    - Start-up culture with a corporate trajectory
    - Autonomy and creativity are honored and encouraged
    - In the quickly evolving sector of digital identity, there's an opportunity to learn something new every single day

Cons

- Both a pro and a con, there is a lack of middle management.

"Great people, great environment and a fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ID.me is the example that work CAN be fun. There are a lot of times that you buckle down and get things done, but at the same time, there are a lot of times that you can take a breather and have a little fun. The opportunities to learn at ID.me are endless and the people are fun, energetic, and highly intelligent. Another point to highlight is that there is a great deal of autonomy and very little micromanagement happening. You are entrusted and empowered to do your job the way you want to do it, as long as you stay within the guidelines.

Cons

There aren't a whole lot of negatives to be found working with ID.me. It's not all rainbows and roses though. It's very fast-paced and it's a living, breathing entity that is constantly evolving. If you want a job that is monotonous and slow-paced, ID.me is not for you. If you are looking for an average 9-5 job, ID.me is not for you. That's just the fact of how startups are. Every job has it's ups and downs, but at ID.me, it's up to YOU to decide whether you sit there like there's nothing that can be done or whether you celebrate the ups and learn from the down's so that you can offset the down's with more up's in the future.

"Creatives Will Feel Right at Home"

I have been working at ID.me full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're someone seeking a work environment where can cultivate and apply your imaginative, innovative side, then you'll feel right at home at ID.me. If you have a good idea, think it will augment the company and want to see it blossom, you won't have to go through thickets of bureaucracy and red tape to make it a reality. If you have the work ethic, there's really no ceiling.

Cons

On the flip side, if you're someone who needs all-encompassing direction and orchestration to get things done, then this startup probably isn't for you. It's not for someone who either wants or is accustomed to a strict, rigid existence. It's very fluid, so if you're not quick on your feet or easily adaptable to change, you're not going to be comfortable here.

4. "Great Place to Be!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at ID.me full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ID.me is a start-up and as such everyone has to work hard in order to enjoy being able to play hard. Everyone you work with is extremely smart and talented. There's never a dull moment, and there's always work to do. Of course, since it is a start-up it comes with all the bells and whistles you might expect. There's time for a match of foosball, ping pong, drinks by the truckload, and plenty of positive energy.

Cons

This is not a job where you can simply punch the 9-5 clock and hope to hide in your cubicle. You will be expected to finish the job or even make corrections at a time that is inconvenient to you. However, that is a small price to pay for working with great people on a purpose driven mission.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees think about ID.me as a whole. Keep the focus on the user, everything else will follow.

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at ID.me full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities
    Excellent people
    Excellent work environment
    Not a typical 9-5

Cons

Low job security
    Confusing company vision
    Constantly shifting leadership (but that's to be expected at a startup)

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

"Employment experience"

Pros

ID.me created an environment that constantly promotes growth for individuals and for the company. They thrive off of challenges, always working to improve any aspect of the company or of a team. The people have always been amazing and it has never felt anything less than a family. There is constant support and motivation for inspiration and self improvement. It was absolutely enjoyable to be surrounded by such a smart and fun group of people, collaborating on projects and ideas and to see those ideas grow into working products, kept things enjoyable and rewarding. My time at ID.me was impactful to my personal growth and development as a person and a professional.

Cons

As in any company, there is stress and occasional people you don't mesh well with. With that said, because of the culture, everyone was able to work and battle through each situation to keep things moving. Stress comes no matter what and people come and go, but that's how it is no mater where you go. ID.me does the best they can with the resources they have to help improve the Internet and keep personal identities more secure. So yes, that can get overwhelming, but at the end of the day it becomes more rewarding because you know you are working for a cause that is trying to benefit others.

"A fun and challenging culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Pros

Great people with novel ideas and super-power abilities. If you want to be a part of an organization with the potential to drastically change how we think about and use identity, this is the place for you.

Cons

ID.me could use some talented, mid-level managers.

"Don't walk- run from this place"

I worked at ID.me full-time

Pros

The team of employees I worked with were incredible- smart, dedicated, driven, funny, experts in their field. The core product, identity verification, was a really fabulous thing to stumble into.

Cons

The CEO- just impossible to work with. Total micro-manager and narcissist, has to have the last say on everything. Literally, everything. He's an expert on all the things- from statistics to copywriting to marketing to foreign policy. Has micro-managed some really incredible people with unimpeachable backgrounds in their field out the door.

Expect to work weekends, holidays, and get calls at 11pm on Friday nights over things that are not urgent at all, except in Blake's mind. The constant shifts in strategy and direction are exhausting. Be especially careful if you are a younger woman, you may be expected to manage things like keeping the kitchen clean and making runs to Costco, in addition to your role as a designer or engineer.

They also managed their money so poorly that they had to lay off a significant percentage of staff last month, even though they had just built out and moved into fancy new offices.

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO.

ID.me Response

Jun 25, 2015 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. I completely agree with you about our team of employees. We are very fortunate to have such an amazing group of people throughout the... More

"Start up company with a bright future!"

Pros

As with any start up company, ID.me has a very fast pace environment. But it doesn't stop us from having a blast at work too! We wear different hats, we jump in and help out in other departments, we have fun and we make things happen. I enjoy the environment and the people I work with. A group of very talented, smart and funny people, like someone else pointed out in another review.
    I have 2 small kids and having the flexibility at work is so valuable to me. I have worked from home when I needed to take care of my children. Management is very flexible and understanding when it comes to family. It's a young office and several of us have little ones at home.

Cons

As with any company, small or large, communication is always an area where we can improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on the culture of the office. We are still small and we are still finding our way. The "no jerks allowed" policy works!

"Very disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at ID.me full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ID.me started as TroopSwap and had a fantastic idea to provide benefits for Veterans and Active duty military. No one else was doing it as well as they did and I felt like we were doing something meaningful.

Cons

Where do I start? If you aren't in the office, you aren't working in the mind of management. Job first, family second or third. I have a special needs son and had to take time off to take him to medical appointments. Blake made it clear that they hired me to work for the company, not look after my family. I told him my family would always come first and I knew my days were numbered. There is only one way to do things and that is Blake's way. No room for input from seasoned employees. Most people work in fear of being let go. Take your life in your own hands and find another job quickly.

Advice to Management

Go back to the original idea of providing benefits to a select group: Veterans, First Responders and Teachers. Don't try to be everything to everyone. It never works. Look after your employees. Replace the CEO with someone who actually knows how to run a business.

ID.me Response

Jun 25, 2015 – HR

Yes, we are all hired to work for the company. It's the same for any company. But, as an employee of the company, you do have the flexibility to arrange hours/days if needed. I can only assume the... More