IDEXX Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
IDEXX Laboratories Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers
Jon Ayers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, nice bonus structure (in 32 reviews)

• Good work life balance and benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance as working from home not recommended (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is compensated very well (in 24 reviews)

"Avoid this company if you value you health, family and professional career."

Former Employee - IT Would BE A Dead Giveaway If I Said in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - IT Would BE A Dead Giveaway If I Said in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Its the only "real" company in Maine to work for.

Cons

Horrible, horrible management. No work - life balance. You will be paid crap because they are the only option in southern maine. Your boss will take the credit for your success and then blame you for not following procedure in that effort.

Advice to Management

All of Idexx IT management is a cavalcade of mediocrity. Work on progress not process. Fire anyone who cannot actually contribute in an skilled tech manner. Your company is weighed down by "wellfare workers". They have been there for a while but now serve no purpose but to drag those doing real work down so that they can maintain the status quo.

"A toxic environment that will eat away at your soul. Upper mgmt completely oblivious to horrendous middle managers."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

Pros

IDEXX offers a decent salary for the state of Maine but is not competitive with the rest of the East coast.

Cons

The Westbrook corporate offices are hyper-political environment filled with bullying, emotional abuse, back-stabbing, nasty gossip, stress and thankless overtime. Nobody trusts anybody else because it's every man/woman for him/herself.

Advice to Management

Hire an outside consultancy to shadow and objectively evaluate everyone from the manager level up. IDEXX could be a truly great company if some of these self-serving, spoiled brats were weeded out..

"Idexx needs to make integrity, honesty, communication, work/life balance and employee retention a priority."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Excellent products, dedicated employees and a good business model.

Cons

I've heard that Idexx used to be a great place to work but in my 5 yr tenure, I was consistently amazed at the unethical, inept and "old school" senior operations management - especially in HR. Management thru intimidation by managers who are not SME's in their field, they often use power, manipulation and control. I witnessed several instances when management intentionally lied about excellent employees (most threatened teir managers) and intentionally set them up to fail and eventually using this as an excuse for termination.

Also, listening in on phone calls and spying using employee laptop webcams is not an uncommon practise @ Idexx.

Advice to Management

Remove Idexx upper HR Management and make integrity, honesty, communication, work/life balance and employee retention a priority.

"Your professional growth will stagnate and you'll learn to accept mediocrity and unfairness"

Current Employee - Operations Mgt in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Operations Mgt in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Southern Maine's strongest employer
    Easy to bluff your way through if you are not fully qualified
    New facilities

Cons

This company is one of southern Maine's only large employers, especially if you work in technology or engineering or desire a corporate environment. Knowing this, salaries are comparatively low, morale and retention are not priorties, unfairness for promotion and raises runs rampant, and the political "cronyness" makes hard working honest employees stomachs turn. Once you are in, its hard to find another local comparative company. Turnover is still high however and every now and then a stunning firing takes place that no one can justify. There is an embarassing undercurrent of a few employees with consistant professional and personal indiscretions/slimy behavior.

People who have worked for Idexx for many years leverage their tenure as they tend to be "small town Maine" narrow minded idiots who cant actually manage or run anything. If you come in from outside, what you bring with you is what you will have to work with. There is no one inspiring or innovative to learn from, especially in Operations. The company has no idea how to set goals yet is quick to pat themselves on the back for attaining them. If there is ever a competitor in the area or in the industry for Idexx, they will be in trouble.

Advice to Management

Fire all of HR- known in the Southern Maine area as the worst HR department, even compared to companies 1/10th Idexx's size. Idexx HR is not for the employees- they just cover management's ineptness and errors. Employee fairness and morale really are important.
    Innovation is no longer Idexx core competancy.
    Dont tax your operations to achieve profit and growth. It will have diminishing returns.

"Pitiful executive and sr. mgmt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Beats the bread line, barely
    Executive management has a handle on managing ahead of the downturn but leadership team is AWFUL, HORRID, completely without merit and vision. They apparently care little that the leadership team across the board has little idea what's happening in the world of their science other than biology and chemistry. Granted there are a few who can do their job pretty well but it is DEFINITELY not the case in general. Just read the other comments, they are consistent in critical remarks about leadership and competitive initiative. During my tenure of more than 3 years I was rarely given one bit of positive feedback. Completely negative, received top bonus pay though, indicating work was perceived as excellent but never once told by anyone "Good Job".

Absolutely worst company to work for in my entire lengthy career.

Cons

Massive frustration as 20 year LBN's run a company with no idea of what comprises leadership and management excellence and little if any desire to learn or listen to 'outsiders'.

Advice to Management

Do yourself and the company a favor, leave, go work somewhere else for five years, learn how modern leadership and management executes then come back and try to help stave off the inevitable competition that will wipe the place off the map.

"IT department reduced to a sweat shop in the last 3 years and nothing done to stop it."

Former Employee - IT Manager in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Company promotes better pet health
    Unlimited challenges
    Personal Growth Leave
    Good benefit package

Cons

HR department is ineffective
    Millions spent on IT projects with minimal ROI
    Strong moral compass not valued in IT

Advice to Management

Back the company mission about valuing employees. Investigate the steady exodus of tenured & new employees leaving certain departments.

"IT Talent Leaving in Steady Stream & IT "leadership" Hiding Behind Empty Words"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Company works to promote better pet health
    Good opportunity for people (outside of the current IT department) to move around departments and gain experience in a dynamic company
    Personal Growth Leave

Cons

The HR team, who support Sr. IT managers treating people outside their "circle" as expendable
    The Sr. IT Management team who has made the environment unbearable, unproductive and soul stealing to the point of driving out tenured AND new employees.
    The lack of transparancy as to how the IT department is spending the company's money in order to support "skunk works" that promote the agenda of the IT Sr. "Leadership" team.
    No professionally well rounded or well read Sr. IT " leaders" in the department. Leads to drones that follow the "leader"

Advice to Management

How many more people have to leave the IT department before the reality of whats going on comes into your per view? IT professionals have taken their skills and knowledge to other local companies because of the poor "leadership" and re-discovered how satisfying work can be again.

"Depressing work environmnent, poor morale."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Living in Maine is a wonderful setting -- quality of life. Most of your co-workers will be very nice people.

Cons

Veyr poor leadership. Very hierarchical. People get pigeon-holed. Every admin is a woman. Almost no women in leadership roles. The CEO is not respected.

Advice to Management

Be honest and communicate clearly. Offer mentoring and coaching and professional development opportunities. Give real raises. Don't stuff people into the new "collaborative" workspaces to save money -- it is dehumanizing.

"Condescending Management & Bad Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

Pros

Near the gym where I workout. Good 401K match program. Easy parking. Onsite cafe (very few healthy food options.) Lots of snow days mean you have to drive in, but at the very least they will buy you a slice of pizza and a donut for showing up.

Cons

The company also has very bad benefits and extremely low annual increases. You'd think since it's a big company we'd have better health insurance but not much is covered. The new provider plan just denies routine visits and testing. We used to get decent increases for good performance but the last two years they've been paying garbage raises. Last year I had an "above and beyond" annual evaluation but was given a lousy 2% raise. In fact, I think it was even less like at 1.8% because my boss said they needed to even out raises or something? I recently walked by a VPs office and heard them talking about some of the reps as if we were a bunch of animals. I was completely horrified until I told my supervisor who informed me that it's no big deal and I should just forget about it. The Senior leadership team in the Customer Support division seems to be some of the meanest people in the company, yet they lead CS, weird isn't it? The company recently put out an employee feedback survey which I will probably not take. It's all multiple choice and doesn't really ask any questions about the real problems. There is one small section that asks for suggestions but it's clear they don't really care. Overall, a very tough place to do well. There is also a ton of turnover with supervisors. I have had 4 supervisors in 3 years. They all quit or get fired.

Advice to Management

Better benefits. I'm sick of working like crazy and getting a great review with no good raise. I'm also sick of your cheapo health insurance. I think you have a great staff. We work hard and you know it. Why can't you pay us? The CEO made millions last year and I actually went 3-4 days without fuel oil in my house because I couldn't afford it. A good friend works in marketing and is a mid-level manager and she doesn't even have good pay either. She was promoted recently and given a bunch more work and a tiny raise because HR now locks increases to help lower the overall pay at IDEXX.

"Low pay, poor morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Pros

The facility is clean and modern, though a little like a rat maze. For some reason IDEXX enjoys a good reputation among people who don't know anything about the company.

Cons

Poor pay, poor morale, weak, stagnant leadership, few chances for advancement even after years of hard work and excellent reviews.

Advice to Management

Leaders should be ethical and progressive -- not self-centered and isolated; get rid of middle managers who are only interested in protecting their jobs.