IDT Reviews in Newark, NJ | Glassdoor

Newark, NJ

3.9
Samuel Jonas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, decent benefits, nice co-workers (in 8 reviews)

• Wonderful work environment, new modern building (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • They will fire many valuable and hard-working employees just so upper management can continue to receive generous salaries and bonuses (in 4 reviews)

• The company cares nothing about dedication and hard work anymore (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work. Executives are top notch people."

I worked at IDT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment. Coworkers are pleasant. Atmosphere is nice. Advancement is possible. Common area where you can play pool when you have free time

Cons

Area is depressing. Homeless people beg for money as you walk to get lunch. Have to be alert as you walk to car, bad area.

Advice to Management

Mentor and bring up the next generation. There is a lot of good talent out there. They need guidance to be able to succeed.

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

We do have a great environment in the office! Pool and ping pong tables, arcade games and a flexible holiday schedule are just a few reasons that IDT is a great team to join.

We employ a... More

2. "IDT pros & cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at IDT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Semi start up like. There is flexibility to interface with multiple departments and get work done.

Cons

Becoming too micro management from CEO level. There isn't much flexibility to step up.

3. "Unprofessional Amateurs"

Former Intern - Intern in Newark, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Place and Building
    Gym
    Pool Table
    Air powered hockey table
    Basketball game machine
    Basketball tournaments
    Clean Kitchen

Cons

Unprofessional attitude
    Hal of the time their application is down so couldn't really work efficiently and still, they wanted me to work don't know HOW that works?
    No one really understands what's happening in the company and DO NOT HAVE ANY WORK PROCESS
    My manager appointed manager bothered to communicate to give me assignments and instead I was redirected to work with someone who THOUGHT she was a manager and had absolutely HORIBBLE mood swings.
    Attended several meetings to convey my project solution but every time they were rejected which was fine but I was absolutely pissed off when in the final meeting my SO CALLED MANAGER showed me the exact solution that I had given in the first meeting just by saying that this is how it should be! and I was like...... (totally numb) :/
    I have a very long list of such cons but I think I do not waste my time and energy even putting that stuff... so if you can judge by this... Don't join this company unless you do not have any other option left... KEEP THIS ONE THE LAST ONE!

Advice to Management

Have a professional attitude
    Have a work process that people can follow
    Have a proper management team who understand how to manage their employees and not just sit in their polished cabins shopping
    And much more.... just not interested again putting that up

Jun 6, 2017 – Director, IDT Ventures

We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience interning at IDT. We have great pride in our internship program and are taking your feedback very seriously.

Many of our past interns have had... More

4. "Software development Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Newark, NJ
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a friendly environment

Cons

Not enough communication among teams

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

Thanks for your suggestion! We are very proud of our newly created internship program and the very collaborative culture that supports it.

We would like to hear more about how communication... More

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice place to work. Friendly environment. Casual atmosphere.

Cons

They don't appreciate devotion of hard-working employees who often put the company ahead of their personal lives.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate employees who devote their lives to the company.

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

We try to always provide a great experience for all of our teammates and recognize those who make sacrifices to add even more to IDT.

If you feel that's not the case, please speak up!

We have... More

6. "Long Timer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Pros

Great people to work with. Management is understanding and help and \try to work with you. The company always finds a way to create new areas for the business.

Cons

Not a tremendous amount of growth in the industry and the company is suffering and there are not many chances to move up.

Advice to Management

Profits don't only belong to new lines of business. Take some time to run your businesses, Examine how things are done and audit the business practices for the existing businesses.

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

Thanks for the great feedback! We will definitely incorporate your feedback in our strategy discussions. It is always a delicate balance to maintain current lines of business while investing in... More

7. "Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team , extremely helpful. Most of them have a sound technical and mathematical background. Everyone is pretty hardworking that encourages you to do your job as well.

Cons

Overall the environment is relaxed but its hard to understand the impact of your work overall because of very disparate teams

Advice to Management

A more structured framework for cross - function interaction, more employee interface would

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

Thanks for letting us know. The internship program is currently structured to immerse you with a particular mentor but it is a great idea to have a rotational element too!

We are a large... More

8. "good company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT full-time

Pros

you can get touch with many technology,and have a good work balance ,you can work at home

Cons

it is not convenient to get guide,sometime you solve difficult problem cost a lot of time

Advice to Management

get more guide,more commmication in group

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

We try our very hardest to be a good company, thanks for letting us know that we are succeeding there.

There are many opportunities to work with cutting-edge technology at IDT, something we are... More

9. "Great people but tough work environment"

I worked at IDT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting projects and products

Cons

difficult management, not family friendly or flexible about work locations/ hours, high pressure environment

Advice to Management

Show your employees you value them... listen to their comments and provide positive feedback.

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

We regret to hear that you didn't experience our value of putting family first.

It is not always feasible to work remotely but we do have a flexible holiday schedule and a generous vacation... More

"Excellent supportive place to work with opportunities to advance."

Former Employee - Executive Vice President in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Vice President in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting work environment, featuring many opportunities with new areas of work being added and expanding the current areas to overseas, also offers opportunities to be involved in community work, soup kitchen etc as part of your work day

Cons

Competitive and if you are not on your toes to produce , could result in dismissal, often you are in a certain department and though you have other valuable skills it is very difficult to move to other areas within the company

Advice to Management

TRY TTO EXPAND POSSIBILITIES FOR SOMEONE TO MOVE INTO OTHER AREAS OF THE COMPANY THAT WOULD UTILIZE SKILLS THAT AN EMPLOYEE HAS

Mar 23, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

We are glad to hear that you found a welcoming place in our supportive, exciting and entrepreneurial culture.

Charity and community engagement are vital for us and allow us to live up to our... More