KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.2
IDinsight CEO and Partner Ruth Levine
Ruth Levine

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people at IDinsight are great(in 14 reviews)
  • "Fantastic colleagues who are intellectually curious and committed to development.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Great culture (strong focus on professional development), smart and passionate people working on interesting problems, growing company so you get to take on a lot of responsibility(in 6 reviews)
  • "Great teams and really thoughtful leadership(in 6 reviews)
  • "3. People are amazing and deeply mission(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Incredible people | mission that matters | great organization

Jun 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

IDinsight is filled with some of the best people working in international development. The team is incredibly smart, caring, collaborative, and kind. In addition, the organization genuinely cares about achieving impact. Instead of just paying lip service to working on projects that matter, IDinsight actually cultivates a portfolio based on their best guesses of what will improve the human condition. Finally, IDinsight invests in internal systems and creating a wonderful working environment. While the work can sometimes be demanding, I always felt that the organization genuinely cared about me and was building great systems with the goal of retaining talent and creating a great place to work, all in the pursuit of social impact.

Cons

IDinsight is still relatively small. While the organization is well known in certain circles, there are many people that do not know of IDinsight, which can be a downside. Let's put it like this, your grandparents are likely to say "ID what's it again?" many times over the course of your time with the team.

4 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great place to start your career

Mar 8, 2022 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

IDinsight provides direct client-facing opportunities

Cons

Limited opportunities for personal project interests

3. 4.0

Review

Feb 17, 2022 - Senior Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, opportunity to learn a lot

Cons

Sometimes there can be long hours

4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Admirable mission, interesting work, intense work environment

Jan 7, 2022 - Graduate Student in Santa Ana, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity to work with skilled professionals on interesting and impactful issues.

Cons

Intense and demanding workload which often required additional efforts outside of business hours.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

High turnover

Nov 16, 2021 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great exposure to development projects with high impact potential.

Cons

High turnover especially among associate level staff.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

great

Oct 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

great place to work like

Cons

hard work time management in

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company in the development sector at a key inflection point

May 31, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic colleagues who are intellectually curious and committed to development. Projects are becoming increasingly interesting as IDinsight continues to grow and the brand becomes stronger in the sector. The new CEO has a ton of experience and is poised to make IDinsight better known. Huge emphasis on feedback and professional development. Relatively strong operations team, which is somewhat unheard of in the development space. Overall, the company cares about and values employees. I think IDinsight is fantastic and I really want to see it suceed.

Cons

Not enough discussions about the ethical issues raised when IDinsight works with morally questionable governments. While we have a hard-working operations team, there is a danger that the company can become too process-oriented and overly bureaucratic. Unclear how socially impactful some projects are (some just sound fancy, like sending crypto-currency to x population, but where is the impact?). We still haven't figure out a sustainable life-work balance at all levels, including Directors. IDinsight is still very timid in terms of external communications for fear of not appearing rigorous enough in front of the economics academic establishment.

7 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people trying to make a real difference

Aug 14, 2019 - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Genuinely care about individuals' personal and professional development - Leadership constantly striving to do better

Cons

- Not always time for content mastery in addition to methods mastery - Project cycles are not always predictable, ebbs and flows do not always line up!

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Rigorous, meaningful work with high professional standards

Sep 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I feel really lucky to have found a professional home at IDinsight. To me, the organization offers a unique combination of rigorous, meaningful work and high professional standards. My favorite parts of the job: - Genuine commitment to impact. I'm constantly surprised and impressed by the emphasis put on improving the world, over and above things like getting good publicity or a more lucrative contract. - Opportunities for skill development. This can be easy to lose sight of during a project crunch when all you're doing is writing a report or cleaning data, but in the time I've been at IDinsight I've learned so much. I've gotten to build on existing skills, like writing and using Stata for data analysis; and add many new ones, like public speaking, client management, people management, large-scale data collection, SurveyCTO, etc. When and if I move on to another job, I know I'm much better prepared than I was when I started. - Amazing colleagues. When I catch up with old classmates I often hear about how much they miss the intellectual stimulation of being at university and getting to engage in high-level debates about politics, ethics, and how to make the world a better place. I actually _don't_ miss that, because IDinsighters are an incredible group of people! I think that's partly due to (self) selection, and partly due to opportunities the organization creates to encourage interesting exchanges and build relationships. We often take time out of busy days to hear from a guest speaker or discuss an interesting new paper. Most importantly, people are kind and hardworking. Although people come in with a range of opinions and experiences, there's a common thread of sincerity and dedication that I really value. I know I could message just about anyone in the organization with a question or request and they'd take time out of their day to help out. - The range of opportunities available to IDinsighters at all levels and positions. I've personally benefitted from being trusted with a lot of responsibility early on, and also just enjoy being part of an organization that provides those opportunities to others: from an Associate presenting evaluation results to a high-level government official, to Field Managers running trainings on SurveyCTO for incoming Managers & Directors, to Economists spending weeks on location with a project to pitch in. At the rate we're growing, there are also lots of exciting (albeit sometimes unpredictable) opportunities for professional growth. I know a number of people who have carved out fulfilling roles for themselves by matching their own skills and interests to a newly identified organizational need. - The clients! I know that might sound trite but I'm completely sincere. By and large, we do a great job of selecting inspiring, impactful organizations to work with. I feel incredibly fortunate knowing that if I do my job well, I can help our clients better serve poor and marginalized communities.

Cons

From my perspective, the biggest potential downsides of working here are: - High levels of independence can sometimes feel like a lack of support. IDinsight has taken positive steps to mitigate that (for example, every employee has an 'advisor' who's senior to them and a 'buddy' who's a peer, in addition to their direct supervisor; there are regular 'team health checks' and other opportunities to give upward feedback), but I know it can be tough at times for people who are in remote offices or have a supervisor who's based elsewhere. That level of independence and responsibility is exciting for some people and stressful for others, and I think it's wise to be thoughtful about which camp you might fall in before taking a job here. - A lot depends on your project. Managers and Directors are more likely to work on multiple projects, but Associates generally work on just one project at a time and may be on a single project for their first 1-2 years with IDinsight. On the one hand, this staffing model allows Associates to develop expertise on that project and engage in a deeper way with the sector and client. The pace of most IDinsight projects also means that over the course of two years most Associates will get exposure to all project phases (client development, evaluation design, fieldwork, analysis, report writing, etc, not necessarily in that order). On the other hand, this means there's some luck involved in whether and when you get to work on a particular sector/client type/methodology. If you're at the beginning of your career and already have very specific goals (e.g. you're passionate about health and only want to work on that type of project; or you already know you're applying to econ PhDs and absolutely must work on an RCT in your first six months) then I'd recommend looking for a job with a narrower focus.

21 people found this review helpful

IDinsight Response

COO

Thank you for the time and thoughtfulness in sharing this. I hope all IDinsighters have such a positive experience and that yours gets even better. A lot of what we've been striving to do at IDinsight is captured here- it's really an honor and great encouragement to see that it's coming through clearly. You know how to reach me (and many others!) about ways we can make it even better too.

10. 2.0

Mixed review

May 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart and talented staff who are mission-driven

Cons

Lack of diversity, mismanagement, low pay, and many of the staff are younger and not genuine (also quite immature)

19 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 70 Reviews

IDinsight Reviews FAQs

IDinsight has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 80 reviews left anonymously by employees. 88% of employees would recommend working at IDinsight to a friend and 80% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, IDinsight employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at IDinsight. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

88% of IDinsight employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated IDinsight 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 4.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at IDinsight to be senior leadership, culture, career development and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, compensation, management.