IEEE Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Prendergast

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to move up internally (in 4 reviews)

• It also doesn't feel like there is a lot of room for growth, many people have had the same titles for 5 (in 3 reviews)

"Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

Great benefits, great attitude which allows for a better work/family balance, great location, great progress in making things even better. The pay is good, and the people are friendly.

Cons

It's a medium-sized company, so there is no way to avoid some frustrations in rules and policies, but in comparison to other companies, they do a great job!

"A great place to work, with some management challenges"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

IEEE does good things, and it has good benefits. For me, it's a great place to work, but I think that varies depending on what department you work in. I would not want to work in some of the other departments, as their senior management is not as supportive of their employees.

Cons

There is way to strong a silo effect happening here. Senior management needs to work together and support cross-unit teams. In addition, for some areas, the additional layer of volunteer control makes things very slow and deliberative. That can be a good thing, but too often, pet projects get promoted and other things slowed down.

Advice to Management

Work on the corporate culture. Show that you trust and support employees, and be fair across the organization. Keep the good things, and don't become too focused on being like a for-profit corporation. We're a 501(c)(3)--and that should show in our mission and how we treat employees.

"Excellent Place of Employment"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people; great culture; fair pay; telecommuting; autonomy; supportive of professional development

Cons

None that I can think of now

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex Time, benefits, colleagues, location

Cons

Bureaucracy is the only thing I can think of

6. "Enjoyed it, grew a lot, and wish I could have stayed."

I worked at IEEE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For many years they were great at striving to keep people even when the work changed. They retrained and were committed to the people who invested their lives in the organizations work. Good benefits too.

Cons

Change at least at the Computer Society to much more corporate and ruthless sort of attitude from the top down.

Advice to Management

Keep moving beyond the publications into the newer ways of communicating.

7. "Very satisfying work environment with challenges that keep you on your toes and get the best out of you."

Pros

1. Diversified network globally
    2. Supports new initiatives and ideas
    3. Due recognition for contributions to the IEEE Society and mankind
    4. Amiable work environment with the IEEE blood running thick in the veins of every IEEEian across the globe i.e. everybody is very co-operative and supportive in each other's endeavour and work together to achieve the common goal of benefitting the society.
    5. Work is balanced by equal opportunities to have fun!

Cons

1. Have to be on your toes and give the best shot possible to deliver results
     (however, failures, if come after good amount of sincere efforts, are NOT looked down upon, rather , the efforts are appreciated!)

"Important job, too much volunteer control"

Current Employee - Director in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. I love my team, my boss, and my boss's boss. In addition, I feel a real connection to the mission of the organization and the work we do.

Cons

Volunteers control too much, and don't always think about the big picture. Like many organizations, there are significant issues with silos, and these aren't getting better, and may, in fact, be getting worse.

Advice to Management

Management Council needs to be on the same page. Staff leadership needs to lead! Lack of speed in decision making and communicating where things stand creates major uncertainties.

9. "Data Analyst at the member services"

Pros

Good atmosphere, amazing work ethics and an excellent place to work at.

Cons

not much opportunity for growth as an intern. Getting to a full time employment was difficult.

10. "A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR"

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Finally a company where management understands the concept of "A happy employee is a productive employee." There has been positive team building, innovative ways to move the company forward and they actually listen to what the employees have to say (both good and bad). It is not surprising to see the CEO walking through the halls with a smile on his face and being very friendly or stopping to chat to the employees. The employees are amazing to work with and very friendly. The benefits are great and they are constantly implementing new things to help keep us both happy and healthy. Some programs offered are onsite chair massages, a bicycle program (where you can check out a bike and take advantage of a nice bicycle ride in the park next to the office), medical premium incentive programs and onsite yoga & rumba classes.

Cons

Depending on what department you work in promotions are slow in obtaining.

"Wonderful place to work!"

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many wellness benefits, the campus is beautiful and the organization does a good job of providing opportunities for employees to network and get to know co-workers. There is also ample training opportunities and a tuition reimbursement program. And most departments offer the opportunity to work from home one day a week.

Cons

If you are used to corporate life and generous bonuses you will not find that here unless you are an executive. Performance review policy is a little strange because leadership peers discuss who can/should get a designated level and increase.