IEEE Reviews | Glassdoor

IEEE Reviews

Updated April 1, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Culture is great - company cares about employees and encourage work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Strong financials, good benefits, exceptional reputation (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to move up internally (in 4 reviews)

• It also doesn't feel like there is a lot of room for growth, many people have had the same titles for 5 (in 3 reviews)

"Good benefits, poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonia, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonia, NJ

I worked at IEEE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work times, relaxed atmosphere mostly, and the knowledge that you are working for a not for profit.

Cons

In short: management and leadership. They have to stop thinking of themselves only and begin thinking of what is best for their people. HR: stop protecting your friends and those who are managing and leading poorly.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your people and find out what is really causing them frustrations. Stop hiding in your offices and stop hiding behind your per-conceived notions.

"Toxic, Politically Supercharged, and Teetering on Unethical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IEEE employees are friendly and courteous with the exception of those in the upper branches of the org chart.

Cons

The IEEE Management Council more closely resembles a group of warring kings battling for the Iron Throne than a leadership team of a major association. Their actions over the past decade have cultivated an environment where enterprise level faction wars dictate long-term strategy and senior staff hold prized volunteers in their pockets, like so many nickels and dimes.

I work in IT for a company that claims to advance technological innovation. Who's leading the charge? A Chief Information Officer who has never before held a job in technology. Ever. She's an accountant who made it to the top of IT the same way Sarah Palin almost made it to the WhiteHouse: shortsighted, politically-motivated decisions.

Since her promotion I've witnessed a mass exodus of technical talent, considerably reduced Towers Watson employee engagement scores, and new department priorities that trade things like patch management and firewall updates for what seem like favors to those who helped her rise to the top. In this past year we have learned to keep our mouths shut if we have concerns about a project or deployment. Even our Senior Directors smile and nod at directions that defy basic enterprise technology best practices. To quote a member of our leadership team, "We're doing it to pay the mortgage."

I'm sure this sounds like an exaggeration of the truth. It's not. It's easy to look at LinkedIn and see the technical staff who have left IEEE in the past year. The sad thing is it's not getting better. It's getting worse.

Each year we take the Towers Watson Employee Engagement Survey and inform IEEE's leadership of the challenges we face in our work environment. It's the same story year after year: the results depict the dysfunctional environment I describe. And the problem is at the top.

Advice to Management

I challenge Jim Prendergast, our Executive Director and CEO, to hold himself personally accountable for the results of the next Towers Watson Employee Engagement Survey.

Remember your roots as an engineer, Jim. Dig into the data in front of you. Make it about the numbers. How can you improve them? How can you fix the problem? And if you can't? Step aside and let someone else try. A 130-year old pillar of modern science depends on it.

"Lots of deadwood"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being a non-profit they have no shareholder pressure and hence goals are not aggressive.

Cons

I worked in IT dept and found that the folks in IT dept have their personal goals which outweigh the corp goals. The company overall has good policies but there is lot of deadwood that needs to go. The same goes for the HR team.. they are unsure if they should work for the benefit of employees or be a tail wagger to the senior management. They are unable to perform independently and lot of decisions (hire and fire) are made by the senior management and HR has no role in it. Ethics has become a big issue there!

"if you do not want to work too hard, this is the place for you"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

Good work-life balance, nice pay and job security, a lot of people work with the company for more than 20 years. not deadline driven, which means less stress

Cons

IEEE is definitely Not a nimble company, very bureaucratic, laid back. staff needs a lot of training. lots of power struggle among the directors and senior directors

Advice to Management

stop playing the power games! Do things that will move the company forward in this challenging market; hire people who have the skill sets for the jobs

"Business development and sales for a leading global professional technical organization."

Former Employee - Director Business Development in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Director Business Development in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great atmosphere in may respects- smart people at leading technology companies were the constituents. Worked at a global level influencing technology, policy and trade. Financial stable, growing organization, that is respected internationally

Cons

Very process driven culture. Influence of board members from leading academic and technology organizations sometimes conflicted with goals of the organization. Slow to change in many respects. Many "second wage earners" who are less interested in career progressions means that it is low key in some respects but also that there is a lot of "dead weight".

Advice to Management

Better alignment of incentives and communication with employees would make it a more rewarding work environment.

"Wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many wellness benefits, the campus is beautiful and the organization does a good job of providing opportunities for employees to network and get to know co-workers. There is also ample training opportunities and a tuition reimbursement program. And most departments offer the opportunity to work from home one day a week.

Cons

If you are used to corporate life and generous bonuses you will not find that here unless you are an executive. Performance review policy is a little strange because leadership peers discuss who can/should get a designated level and increase.

"observation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

Cafeteria, location, somewhat work-life balance

Cons

"If there is a hard way - we will find it" - should be a motto for this .org

Advice to Management

Retire and don't torture e-es with idiotically horrendous 6 mo reviews. Learn how to work among yourself.

"Gangs of Politics with No responsibility and accountability"

Current Employee - IT Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can join IEEE and plan for retirement.
    Only three rules to survive:
    1. Say what majority says
    2. Play politics or be a puppet of someone who can
    3. Always remember rule 1 and rule 2.

Cons

People made it to top management in IT based on politics and favoritism. This makes them head strong and less adaptive to any change for good.

Advice to Management

Fire Senior Staff Directors, Staff Directors, Sr. Directors, and Directors, not CIO's. This the main source of contamination. Think about it, how can a CIO will go bad for every 2-3 years in this enterprise? It does not make sense. Don't just make ONE person scapegoat when something bad happens.

Favoritism kills the innovative/smart working talent left in the enterprise.

"Great company to work for, smart people, but bad upper Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Where do I start? I work with some of the most engaged, smart and hard working people in industry. People who genuinely care about you as a person and about the company they work for. The culture at IEEE has been unmatched for years. Middle management is great. Workers are great. Most people have worked for the company a long time and understand everything about it. Good benefits, work-life balance, telecommuting, travel opportunities. Great company mission of Advancing Technology for Humanity.

Cons

The current Management Council lacks direction and has many newer employees (since 2010) who do not understand the unique organization and culture. They are slowly converting the company culture to that of a for profit company, including mistrust, cutthroat, silos, etc. There are also good people on the MC so I don't want to drag everyone down, but the toxic people give the MC a bad reputation overall.

Advice to Management

Need to replace a good 3-5 members of the Management Council who do not understand our organization are not fit to lead large groups within our company. Surveys should give you a clue as to who they are. Embrace the "old school" culture of an engineering not-for profit society with a mission to make the world a better place.

"People are awesome, management needs new direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are wonderful and make the craziness worthwhile. It's a place you go and stay. Benefits are wonderful, flexible scheduling depending on the department you work in.

Cons

New management council members are screwing it all up. Bringing in people that don't fit the culture and therefore create a negative work environment.

Advice to Management

Management Council -- You have great people leaving the company because of your inability to work together.