IEEE Reviews | Glassdoor

IEEE Reviews

Updated January 31, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Culture is great - company cares about employees and encourage work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Strong financials, good benefits, exceptional reputation (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to move up internally (in 4 reviews)

• It also doesn't feel like there is a lot of room for growth, many people have had the same titles for 5 (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place, great company!"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so friendly! I have been working here since July 2015 and 95% of the people that I pass say hello and/or smile at you. Depending on what department, working here can be a lot of fun. I have met so many great people while working here, and have worked in 2 completely different roles. There is a TON of room for advancement. Not only that, but people who work here tend to stay here for a long time. Someone told me you don't ask people how long they've been with the company, you ask how many decades! There is also an onsite cafeteria with very fair prices, good food, and an even better staff!

Cons

Confusing internally because there are so many departments, but other than that nothing else.

2. "Corporate Development"

Pros

This company was all about nurturing growth and seeing that each individual met their potential. Starting off at a lower level I was able to meet various people from different departments who took time out of their day to give me some perspective and insight through their backgrounds. It was a really rewarding experience. Corporate Development is also very tight knit and stays focused no matter what on the goal of benefiting humanity.

Cons

Sometimes everyone is so focused on their work that life and spirit of working at IEEE seems obsolete.

"Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Society Products and Member Engagement Manager in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at IEEE (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, especially for families

Cons

Too many priorities from leadership prevents strategic and understandable movement forward

5. "Great company but not alot of chances to move up- only latteral"

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company, benefits, colleagues, cafeteria, vacation days/personal days, cell phones, etc.

Cons

you can move around easily but director and manager positions dont open up too often

6. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Tax Accountant
    Current Employee - Tax Accountant

Pros

Great place to work on a daily basis

Cons

You really make it how you would like your work atmosphere to be

"Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at IEEE (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible, lots of vacation time, sick time

Cons

can get hectic during summer months

8. "Depends on the department in which you work"

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, excellent benefits, the organization as a whole is doing good things

Cons

There are a few people in leadership positions playing "big corporate executive". If they were actually talented and knew how to properly lead a company, that would be one thing. But, they have never actually done anything in their lives and must have read somewhere that working 60 hours a week, for no particular reason, is an accomplishment. And then there is one particular member of management council who just Googles stuff and passes it off as his own. If you can manage to stay away from these people you can have a nice, long, satisfying career at IEEE. If you get stuck working for one of these your life will be miserable and you won't have time to look for another job.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and get rid of the phonies.

"Structure is a challenge"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, trying to do good work. Dedication to employee training and trying to have everyone feel.like they are all on a Team.

Cons

The constant penny pinching makes moving forward difficult... Very rigid hierarchy, antiquated notions in some depts. and hard for women to succeed. Ultimately, the nonprofit structure that also has shades of govt and academia makes real sustained improvement nearly impossible. Not great for the long haul.

Advice to Management

End the boys club...it can't be the AT&T executive retirement club forever.

10. "Cultural Shift from Old To New. Bright Future Ahead."

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific organization. Strong financials, good benefits, exceptional reputation. I feel good about what I accomplish at IEEE. I've been lucky to be assigned to some cool teams, especially in marketing. It's rare that I'm not excited to come to work. Impressive leadership at the executive level, especially the new leaders. The exception being execs in their current jobs 10+ years.

Cons

I wish the incentive program was better. I'll be honest - it's a joke. There is no pay for performance culture, which leads me to my next comment: a lot of the complainers have been here so long that they don't realize how good they have it. Those of us that came here from other companies praise God for how lucky they are to work here. It is very clear top management is working to change things; but it's slow going. I don't fault the new execs....they often encounter a buzz saw of resistance from entrenched staff (and their volunteers) who work behind the scenes to run interference. I do have the sense, though, that the culture will continue to evolve and change for the better.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the complainers. There are plenty of people looking for work, who would be happy to replace them. Significantly improve the incentive program. The economy is improving, and more attractive offers are out there.

"Major leadership and culture issues"

I have been working at IEEE full-time

Pros

The organization has a good mission, decent benefits, telecommuting, and honorable goals.

Cons

The leadership within this organization needs a major overhaul. The culture is bad.

Advice to Management

Clean up your acts and those that report to you. Stop playing favorites. Please do career planning with ALL of your reports.