IEM Reviews | Glassdoor

Madhu Beriwal

1. "Great team!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at IEM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment with plenty of opportunity to grow and move up the ladder. Willingness on the part of management to support goals, professional development, and mentoring.

Cons

Some of the office spaces could use a facelift.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing by investing in your employees.

"They've lost something..."

I have been working at IEM full-time

Pros

The best thing about IEM are the people. I have never before worked in a place with so many smart, funny, genuinely likable people. Other good things include flexible working hours and a very casual dress code

Cons

Sigh. I used to love working at this company. I was proud of the company and of the job that I did. In the last year or so, however, IEM has lost a lot of what made it special. There used to be an atmosphere of collegiality, collaboration, and respect, without all the politics present at most other companies. That is gone now, however. The company has made a lot of changes to structure and focus in the past year. While that is not a bad thing at all, they made them without any kind of change management plan, and seemingly without thinking through how some initiatives that sounded great in theory would work in real life. Communication has been lacking, there are definitely political games going on behind the scenes (or at least there is a perception that there are), and that sense of collaboration is gone. In addition, in the past, employees were encouraged to take initiative, suggest innovations, and otherwise look for ways to improve the company and its operations. Now, however, those things fall on deaf ears at best, and sometimes result in a dressing-down. In addition, work-life balance is non-existent. I have had people indignant that I didn't immediately respond to emails they sent well after midnight. I have take to turning my phone and computer off at 9 p.m. and not turning them back on until morning for just that reason. In short, this place that used to be a pleasure to work in is now a misery. Now, instead of being excited to go to work every day, I wake up dreading another day of drudgery, another day of feeling like just a tiny, invisible cog in a machine that is careening out of control in the wrong direction.

Advice to Management

Find a way to recapture what made this company so special. so different from every other contractor out there, or you are going to lose the last remnants of that very strong core that made this little company able to compete with the big guys in government contracting.

3. "Outreach Specialist"

I have been working at IEM part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company prides itself on having a warm, family-like environment. It is a small government contractor so employees can get to know each other well, even if in remote position. Innovation is highly valued.

Cons

Pays less than other government contractors.

"Innovation and Proactive Pursuits Encouraged"

I have been working at IEM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having been at IEM over 5 years, in a variety of positions, I have seen a wide range of perspectives within the company. What I have found is a group of people who are largely committed to the mission of the company of building a safer, more secure, and more resilient world.

The relational aspect building is still a major positive of the company, where you aren't a position, or a number, but a valued part of a team, and over time, a family.

My growth within the company has been based on my capabilities, and my initiative. This isn't necessarily the best place if you expect to be excessively trained on basic functions, or want things handed to you, but if you're driven, talented in communications across a variety of mediums, and thinking critically and analytically, I'm not sure of a better place to work.

Cons

As with any company, communications are not always clear, with expectations and outcomes explicitly delineated and regularly laid out.

Like I mentioned above, if you expect this to be a place where you'll be sent to a bunch of training, have a lot of personal development time, this isn't the right fit for you. But, if you are driven to learn and grow as an employee, and are willing to fill in on projects in whatever capacity is needed, and can research, read analytically and comprehensively, and write well, you can really do whatever you want.

6. "Awesome Firm - the best of the best....."

Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in New York, NY

Pros

IEM is an "amazing" firm to work with. It was one of the best firms that I have worked with in my 20 years of professional experience.

Cons

I wish they had more job opportunities in the US - but several great teams are working on growing the firm on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

The entire IEM Management team is supportive, encouraging and honest. The are the BEST of the BEST

7. "Great people"

Former Employee - Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

IEM gives the opportunity to work with creative, smart, and interesting people from many fields. There is a truly collaborative environment that relies on a cross pollination of ideas to provide innovative and effective solutions for IEM's clients.

Cons

As is the case with all government consulting firms, there can be ups and downs in the workload. My experience was that IEM attempted to retain good employees during lean times, but only if they were especially proactive in finding opportunities on existing projects.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering this culture and take care of your employees. Your culture is your greatest asset. Investing in your employees will sustain it over the long term.

8. "Lacking vision"

I have been working at IEM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some extremely smart people work at IEM working on projects to keep the homeland safe. The mission of the company is great and exciting.

Cons

The company has graduated out of the small business program and like many similar companies is lacking the foundation needed for growth. The vision for the company is not based on reality.

Advice to Management

Create a strategic vision for the company that includes the employees and their needs, and has a basis in reality. Growth does not come free.

9. "Useful only as a gateway to other jobs"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at IEM full-time

Pros

Will sponsor you for your clearance, which can lead to additional job opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

No professional development
    Mediocre benefits
    No potential for growth
    Poor management
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Offer college or other training opportunities to develop the workforce, like many smaller companies do. Develop a career mentoring/ladder for employees, to show that there is a future with the company. Less smoke and mirrors from management with regards to opportunities. And learn to compensate employees appropriately for the level of work expected.

"Great reputation, talented team, camaraderie make IEM desirable!"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Oakland, CA

Pros

Over a nearly 25-year career working for various organizations, I can truly say that IEM is a healthy, well-run and satisfying workplace. Staff are highly talented and friendly, creating a collaborative, solutions-focused environment where everyone helps each other do their best. Managers are refreshingly candid and accessible and don’t micromanage but instead encourage staff to exercise their expertise in directing their own programs. Also, because IEM is somewhat of a boutique contracting organization, it is nimble in its decision making and employees have more direct influence in management decisions than in many organizations. Team spirit and camaraderie are fostered through companywide communications, which is really a plus for those of us who work remotely on contract. And while work quality standards are high, IEM values a strong work-life balance, providing flexibility in work schedules and time off. One of the best things of all, though, is the pride everyone takes in working on projects that have a major impact on communities throughout the country.

Cons

While on balance there are many pluses that make IEM a great place to work, the pay differential with similar positions in other local markets can be significant. Running a company too leanly can ultimately do a company a disservice and affect its competitiveness if employee turnover is too rapid and historical knowledge must be relearned.

Advice to Management

In this up market, IEM management might do well to better match local pay scales to continue to attract and retain its high caliber employees and reduce employee movement to workplaces with higher compensation.

11. "Great place to work, but still room to improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at IEM full-time

Pros

You have the ability to perform challenging work that affects public safety and security. Coworkers are the smartest, most dedicated people I have ever worked with. It’s easy to move from team to team and get exposed to a variety of projects. The company’s benefits programs have improved tremendously. Unique company culture and the flextime policy.

Cons

Moving up in the company is a challenge, although there is a renewed company focus on career progression. Work/life balance can be a challenge. Salaries have become much less competitive. Employees who contribute little are sometimes allowed to hang around for a long time.

Advice to Management

People are your core asset and should be your primary focus and investment. Look for your most promising and focus on investing in them.