IES Abroad Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2020

3.1
IES Abroad President and CEO Dr. Mary Dwyer
Dr. Mary Dwyer
Pros
  • "Organization's growth, work/life balance, support, and excellent benefits(in 5 reviews)

• "Great colleagues, good opportunity to gain entry-level study abroad experience(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "As an entry level employee, pay is criminally low and not worth the stress of the job(in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn't get it(in 6 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Positive experience working for IES Abroad"

5.0
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The IES culture is positive and supportive overall. There are a ton of great colleagues, and every team has its own mini-culture. I truly believe the vast majority of employees believe in the mission and have the best intentions. My manager trusted me to do my job without getting too involved, but was quick to jump in if I asked for assistance with an external relations or internal politics issue. Many older reviews complain about lack of opportunity for growth, and while I agree that it was certainly the case then, I will attest that in recent years I watched the organization change its attitude and begin making significant numbers of internal hires for open mid-level positions. No organization is perfect but I don't think I would have been happier working elsewhere. I was there for 5+ years and would have stayed much longer had it not been for COVID-19 layoffs, unfortunate but necessary since the international education field was heavily impacted.

Cons

Not all managers are created equal, and some are much better advocates and more trusting of their teams than others. Outdated technology and systems hampered my workflow, though we were in the process of a tech overhaul before COVID-19. While I did witness many changes happen quickly, at other times internal bureaucracy seemed to be a hindrance to taking timely action.

2. "Mission Oriented"

I worked at IES Abroad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and a great area to work

Cons

Nothing really, it was a good place to work.

"Rocky road ahead"

2.0

I worked at IES Abroad full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You will work with some wonderful people, passionate about the mission of helping students.

Cons

Upper management is staid and preferential towards a select group of staff; there is a revolving door of HR staff with at least 4 HR Directors in the past 2 years; and there is a lack of market research to drive development.

"Great Culture"

5.0
    Former Employee - Diversity Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

Great work life balance there.

Cons

Not too much opportunity for growth

5. "Okay place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

Professional environment with nice atmosphere.

Cons

To much emphasis on enrollment with out ensuring the support structures are in place

6. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Assistant

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

Nice people environment everyone friendly

Cons

Low pay, management needs diversity training

"Nonprofit"

4.0
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time for less than a year

Pros

supportive co-workers, location, health benefits

Cons

some unclear expectations and communication from management, diversity, earned PTO instead of set amount at start of year, work-life balance, unpaid overtime

"Good mission but terrible culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

Nonprofit, helping students, good coworkers

Cons

Corporate culture, lack of true leadership in many departments, many entry-level positions seen as disposable, being an Advisor felt more like being a part of a call-center. Some departments held to very high standards of customer service ("respond within 24 hours!"), while other departments would take weeks to get back about an issue -- causes major frustration between departments, which are completely siloed. There was a lack of transparency from higher up - some departments got salary raises while others were left out, even with almost identical roles. Colleagues would often talk about not feeling fulfilled and how they were looking for employment elsewhere. Lack of good compensation and career development for those who were truly talented and dedicated.

9. "Not a very stressful place to work but very low pay"

I worked at IES Abroad full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and a genuine mission

Cons

Very low pay with many advisors struggling to make ends meet

Continue reading

"Worst Company I've ever worked"

1.0

I worked at IES Abroad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office location is good and convenient. Coworkers are nice and supportive. Benefits are decent.

Cons

BEWARE! These guys are scam. Worst management I have ever came across. Favoritism and special privileges to certain employees despite of their work performance. There are no regulations or red tape how to run the business, extremely unorganized corporate structure. Very old school mentality and slow/ laid back working atmosphere with no deadlines/ organized structure. This is the most pathetic workplace I ever worked at.

Found 54 reviews