IES Abroad Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr. Mary Dwyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "VP"

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

This is one of the best companies to work for that I have come across. The organization really cares about it's mission and the people that work there. Truly an outstanding organization that I was privileged to work for.

Cons

None. This company is truly outstanding in every way.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing as it is very successful and you are touching lives on a daily basis.

"Great people, great mission, huge turnover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IES Abroad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people are wonderful, supervisors care, inter-department communication is improving, you gain a wide network of contacts in the field

Cons

bonuses are given based on numbers outside of employee control, turnover rates have risen sharply since I've been here, upward growth is dependent upon who leaves and most moves are lateral

"Toxic Senior Management/Uninspiring work environment"

I worked at IES Abroad part-time

Pros

Entry level and mid career employees are the most hardworking/talented but never stay long as there is little progression, good work life balance for most roles, especially senior management!

Cons

The Senior Management are old school and inflexible, and resistant to change. Many of them have been there a long time and are out the door at 4:30pm every day, some even earlier and before their own people leave (i.e. Finance/Marketing). They don't want to rock their own boats or challenge the status quo (because they would have to work and do something about it and wont be favored by the CEO/COO anymore!) and don't want to make any decisions on their own. In addition, they all have their favorite employees who get promoted time after time. These people stay for years because they are priced out of the job market and so can't ever leave which creates a stagnant and uninspiring environment. This is not a place for ambitious, driven people but more lazy/9-5/city type employees. The top management do not empower or let their management make any decisions and so the lower level employees suffer each time. They pride themselves on being strategic but aren't organized/don't have any real plans/structure to execute. It's basically what the CEO/COO decide at the time. This isn't a place to grow your career but more end or stagnate it.

Advice to Management

Promote your middle management to the top tier and you would be much more successful!

Jun 5, 2018 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as an IES Abroad employee. We strongly believe that work-life balance is important for employees’ productivity and health and that showcases how... More

"Salaries and growth are seriously lacking"

Former Employee - Prefer Not Sa in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Prefer Not Sa in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had many capable and pleasant colleagues.

Cons

IES does not pay the baseline entry level salary for a college graduate in Chicago. But the president makes more than $1.2 million and the COO makes over $500,000. There is no mobility for most positions. But they are surprised when people leave.

Advice to Management

They won't listen

"College Relations Manager"

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, passionate about study abroad. Good overseas and travel opportunities.

Cons

Low pay and lack of ability to move up.

Mar 13, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

IES Abroad is very committed to the continued growth opportunities for our colleagues—this has been a specific internal goal for us. As a result, we are proud to report that internal promotions are... More

"Campus Relations Manager"

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

There are some amazing people who work at the organization

Cons

C-level does not allow any creativity or individual input from employees. They have a choke-hold on the business totally disregarding the talent that they bring in and creating a toxic environment

Mar 13, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. Although not all ideas can be implemented, we work hard to provide an open working environment where people are safe to be creative and offer up new ideas—we’re sorry... More

"Great Provider, but Management Change Needed"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IES draws in the fields brightest and best employees. While there I made great friends and grew my professional network. The opportunity to work with students from all over the U.S. and colleagues from all over the world on a daily basis.

Cons

As others have noted, there is a disconnect from upper management and day to day work. Creativity and innovation by staff members is not valued and input is not welcome. There is a knee-jerk reaction to financial fluctuations.

Advice to Management

Make people feel valued. Investment in your people. Send dedicated employees to the places they are advising students for, provide professional development opportunities, allow for more collaborations between Chicago and abroad centers.

"This is a not-for-profit?!?!"

I worked at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

Pay was OK. People were ok.

Cons

Very hard to be motivated. People at the top just want more money. Board just wants their overseas junkets. Friends who really wanted to do a good job were shot for being the messenger or for having an opinion. My manager was great & got a lot done but the politics & work load were overwhelming & there was NEVER positive feedback for the people in the middle. Or for the people overseas who do the real work.

Advice to Management

Go work for corporations & let people who believe in the mission do their job!

"Management is out of touch & out of control"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IES Abroad full-time

Pros

Great people at the worker level. Committed. Smart.

Cons

Management is a white old boys club that cares more about money then students. "Transparency" means believe everything even if it doesn't make sense. Upper management has no idea what people really do. Everyone is suspect. Something goes wrong, look for a scapegoat, and it won't be one of the chosen few working close to those at the top.

Advice to Management

Why bother. They won't listen.

"American micromanagement"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Vienna, VA

I have been working at IES Abroad part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many good employees

Cons

The Chicago office controls everything. I saw my colleagues fight to do what they had to do for local laws. The Chicago office didn't seem to understand that laws are different outside the US. We wasted a lot of time and energy.

Advice to Management

You are not working in the US everywhere

Apr 21, 2017 – Assistant Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. As a global organization that is headquartered in Chicago, you are right that strategic decisions originate from the Chicago office. We take into account local laws and... More