IFF Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 7, 2017

3.1
Joe Neri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Solid Organization, Must Keep Up"

I worked at IFF part-time

Pros

Growing organization with opportunity to meet many great people.

Cons

Easy to be forgotten about - fast pace growth often times comes at the expense of the guys at the bottom.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow - but grow together.

2. "A lot of politics - Ratings below apply specifically to individuals with technical backgrounds."

I worked at IFF full-time

Pros

1. The company is a lender to non-profits, so if social change is important to you, then working here feels good.
    2. The HR Staff does a very good job of helping employees achieve balance & helping maintain a very positive 'wrapper' around the organization.
    3. The accouterments, such as the location, view, building services (cafeteria, gym, etc.), are phenomenal.

Cons

If you are in IT or other technically based field & want to increase your skillset, you will find working for this organization to be frustrating.

1. Political considerations are often more important than the work that gets done, in part by definition, because social change is inherently political. However, some of this bleeds into areas where it doesn't really need to be.
    2. Co-workers will go behind your back (politics). One of the stated goals of this organization is to improve their IT acumen. However, if you go beyond the abilities of others, those others will complain.
    3. Management will favor the complaints, despite having asked specifically for the more advanced work.
    4. This is because management waivers in its commitment to the robust technical change they espouse during the interview process.

5. Do not confuse their 'commitment to technical change', which I am reviewing, with their 'commitment to social change' & progress - that is very robust.

Advice to Management

I admire the organization as a whole & I believe in its mission. I don't believe it is a very welcome place for people who have robust technical backgrounds, & I believe that is because the work you do is, traditionally speaking, not very technical. Lending is based in math, and will certainly be subject to the same changes that are sweeping through the economy, but in many cases it isn't necessarily technically robust. My advice would be to work on the cohesiveness of your overall approach to the changes that data is bringing to our economy. It feels like a little bit of a mixed message in this regard. When hiring someone for their technical skills, placing them into a context where that proficiency is adversarial is bound to create conflict. My suggestion would be to be really clear about what you want (do you really want to make these changes) before you hire for those skills.

3. "Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IFF full-time

Pros

Great benefits, convenient/ office location

Cons

Employee's outside "the click" are not recognized for their hard work and dedication. Lots of opportunities for advancement, if your popular. Lots of favoritism and looking the other way.

Advice to Management

Management should pay closer attention to their employees deemed super stars. All employees, janitor to CEO should be given the same level of respect,

4. "Business Development"

I worked at IFF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Dedicated team
    -Great learning environment
    -Amazing project/goal

Cons

-Not overly communicative on tasks
    -Can feel understaffed

5. "High Turnover, for a reason"

I worked at IFF full-time

Pros

Very successful nonprofit that can provide plenty of opportunity to learn about multiple sectors. Great for finance people

Cons

Lack of camaraderie. Numbers are more important that mission.

6. "summer intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at IFF as an intern

Pros

It was nice and easy interview, had a quick tour of the team. Relax and easy talks.

Cons

Not able to know much about the company culture and just for the summer vacation season. Not so formal interview.

7. "Internship"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at IFF as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, flexible and creative. Always challenging and demands innovation.

Cons

As an intern I would have like more regular feed back, and would like to have observed more of what goes on at meetings and in presentations.

Advice to Management

N/A