IGI Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.6
Dr. Mehdi Khosrow-Pour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Department I worked in had a very relaxing work environment (IT)."

Former Employee - Data Specialist in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Data Specialist in Hershey, PA

I worked at IGI Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost my director was and I'm sure still is an incredible leader. Boosted morale with humor and encouragement. He had the ability to give real time solutions for time sensitive critical issues. Freedom of work computer use allowed me to gain self taught experience I carried over to my current career.

Cons

Pay is extremely low across the board in all departments. Old school business tactics and poorly made products made for steadily decreasing revenue. Employee suggestions are either disregarded or stolen by higher ups. Training and career development are non existent. The only hope in advancing is waiting for managerial staff to leave and praying the quater did well so positions that others held wouldn't be dissolved. Employee morale was the equivalent of prisoners getting outdoor time to break rocks in a shale pit. To be clear, I observed this in other departments not in my own. A testament to how capable my director was.

Advice to Management

Dedicate time to employee training and development. Take consideration to their ideas and strategies to help improve the company. Raise salaries to industry standards. Doing this will keep hard working, faithful employees.

"There Are Much Better Options."

I worked at IGI Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- When I was there, there was flexible scheduling, so you could arrive at anytime between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and work your 8 hour shift. From what I understand, now you must clock in and out at a designated time, so flexible scheduling may not be an option anymore.
    - Once a month, there is an "Employee Appreciation Luncheon" offered to the staff. On occasion they ask the employees to bring a dish of their own rather than providing the meal. On those days I recommend you just bring your own lunch and eat at your desk, rather than having to pay to feed 50 employees out of your own pocket.

Cons

- Salary is well below the industry average. I was tasked with running an entire imprint one month after I started as an Editorial Assistant in the Acquisitions division. I was doing Acquisitions, sending and reviewing Contracts, Development, and some pre-Production work for almost a year with no pay raise or title change. The Managing Director of the company stated they would be performing an evaluation after six months and adjusting my salary at that time, but it never happened. Once they decided to get rid of that imprint, they again said I would have an evaluation and title change review based on my previous work, which still never came. By the time I resigned, three managers of the Acquisitions department had quit and I was next in line. I stated I was not interested in taking on anymore responsibility without compensation for my extra work, and I was told that an evaluation and title change review would come in six months once they were able to see my progress, but that I should keep in mind that some departments do not really need a manager in title, so the evaluation may come to nothing. As far as I know, in speaking with my co-workers, raises do not happen often for lower employees, if at all, so be prepared to have the same basic salary that you are hired with for quite a few years.
    - Transparency is a huge issue. People would come and go extremely quickly, and management felt it best not to announce the departures, just in case anyone else felt they would like to leave, as well. They also never announced new ideas to the company, so when a new product or initiative was being introduced, many of the staff had no idea about it until they found out on their own. The flexible scheduling was also a transparency issue. Every few months, the management would ask that we clock in and out using a time clock. Then they would change their minds, tell us not to be "clock-watchers" and remove the time clock from the wall. They clearly wanted us to work over our 40 hour work week, but didn't want to have to pay us overtime. Interestingly enough, in one email sent to all company employees, the CEO's assistant told us that we must use the time clock because working over 40 hours as a salaried employee without being compensated was against the law. We used the time clock for a few weeks and then it was ripped out of the wall, with no explanation. It is back now, but that will most likely change in a month or two.
    - Company ethics were extremely lacking, as well. In one meeting, the head of Marketing explained that they don't bother marketing the books they deem "terrible material", and they were using a rating system to deem which books they would spend their time and materials on, and which were just "filler" in order to tell shareholders that they had met their projected numbers on. In Acquisitions, the department was always asked if we would recommend a book or not based on everything we knew about it (since we were the only ones that reviewed the books), and almost every book we reviewed and rejected was actually accepted by the CEO and upper-management since it would add to our yearly numbers goal (a goal made up by the CEO , and one changed often throughout the year). I cannot stress enough how much I would recommend potential authors and contributors to take their work elsewhere, so they can get the attention that they deserve.
    - The atmosphere is extremely tense. Upper-management does not encourage employees to bond or associate with each other. I cannot count the times I was working with my co-worker in our private office and someone came in to "check" how we were doing. This made both of us extremely uncomfortable, since the man who came to stand in our room with 5-10 minutes each time was the same man who was known to have made sexually inappropriate interactions with previous employees. All of the employees that I had spoken to preferred to keep quiet, work their eight hour shift, and leave as soon as possible.
    One of the biggest issues with the company as a whole stems from its inflexibility. Even small decisions need to be run through the CEO of the company, mainly because of his need to micro-manage, but the overwhelming suspicion is that this tactic originates from the fact that the business must be failing. The acquisition of new authors is unethical, the sales are low, authors compensated poorly, and the products are overpriced.

These are just a few examples in the almost 2 years that I spent with the company. I have had the dream of working in the publishing industry since I was in school, and took this position at entry level to gain some experience and hopefully grow. Being constantly belittled, having no avenues for progression or mentorship of any kind, and experiencing such a tense and anxious culture has forced me to shift my career goals.

I gave 9 working days resignation (1 day short of the two-week requirement), which I believe to be generous, considering our treatment. The very next day, I was walked out of the building like a common criminal, having no access to other employees (again, because of the fear of a mass walk-out). This is a message to current employees, who I believe have been told that I walked out without any notice given whatsoever.

Please understand, reader - that this is not just the words of a 'disgruntled employee' - this is the internal dialogue of almost every employee that works at IGI Global. I urge any prospective candidates, or possible authors, to consider other companies in the industry.

I truly wish everyone who works at IGI the very best, but some major changes need to be made before it becomes a successful, reputable publisher.

Advice to Management

You don't build a business, you build people. And then the people build the business - Zig Ziglar.

"A Textbook Example of Mismanagement"

Former Employee - Development Editor in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Development Editor in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at IGI Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent flex time and affordable benefits. Because of its terrible reputations—and the efforts of a very forward-thinking and proactive HR rep (who was fired for his efforts, when I worked there)—the company was essentially forced to offer these, in order to recruit new hires, which it has to do a lot, because of extraordinarily high turnover.

That leads us to another pro: there is certainly room for advancement (thanks to the constant and inevitable firings) but only in the sense that there's a lot of social mobility in Westeros, what with everyone getting assassinated constantly. If you're a sociopath with a Trump-ian level of narcissistic ambition, you could do very well for yourself here.

Finally, the job looks good on a resume...provided your next prospective employer does not Google the company and wind up here!

Cons

IGI is by far the most corrupt organization I've ever worked for, and I frankly wonder whether there might not be tax-fraud or some other kind of money-laundering scheme going on behind the scenes. This is a vampire press: they publish plagiarized material cobbled together by pseudo-academics with degrees from questionable (and often fictional) universities. All processes of peer review and quality control are hopelessly compromised, and the result are frankenstein doorstops written in broken English, and the company's sole customer base consists of the oblivious libraries of the universities of the few legitimate academics snookered into contributing to their anthologies.

But all this would be fine, if they treated their employees well. They don't. I've worked in warehouses where employees were treated better. Employees at IGI are screamed at in executive meetings, chastised for efforts to improve the quality of publications; entire departments are laid off without warning. You come in one day, and the KGB is ushering your friends out in black hoods, and you sit there bewildered, with an inbox stacked sixty emails deep, full of angry Indian PhD's who have just today realized they're being taken advantage of and are very mad about it.

Run. Run far and fast. If you're a young college graduate, you may be incredibly flattered to receive an offer from a ~Real Life Publishing Company~...but resist the temptation. This place is toxic, and it will scar you, and then you'll be trapped because you're too afraid to quit a new job so soon. And then you'll be stuck there. Like everyone else.

Advice to Management

There is nothing that could be said to management here that has not already been said more eloquently by dozens of employees dozens of times.

Quit.

Sell the company.

You are cogs in a machine of evil.

"Anonymous"

I worked at IGI Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with made coming into the office worthwhile. The office also had a convenient location on Chocolate Ave.

Cons

Expect to be treated unfairly. Expect to be underpaid. Expect to be unappreciated by CEO. Expect awful benefits and a couple days of PTO a year. Expect to have your arrival time at work monitored by cameras and to get in trouble if you're 2 minutes late because God forbid you get stuck in traffic. Know that any 4- or 5-star posts you see on here are posted by the CEO or one of the high-level managers.

I took the job for some experience after college and was completely turned off from the publishing industry. I worked hard while I was at this company despite its unrewarding structure. I left years ago but have communicated with former coworkers and friends, and it sounds like the place is getting worse every single day.

The entire publishing process is a joke. The books are plagiarized and authors are acquired through spam. The CEO just wants to make money and has no integrity, which has earned this company zero respect in the publishing industry.

Advice to Management

Start with treating your employees like they matter.

"Unique place to work in Central PA"

I have been working at IGI Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You aren't going to find many publishers in central PA. IGI Global allows you to work leading research projects while being where you want to live. There is a lot of opportunity with the publisher's international reach and the company is straight-forward about what they expect.

Cons

You will need to work hard. I would rather work hard and know what is expected at IGI Global, than play games with other employers.

Advice to Management

Keep providing opportunities for training, communication and collaboration.

"Vampire Press"

I worked at IGI Global full-time

Pros

Mostly friendly and hardworking co-workers.

Cons

This is a small company run by a CEO who is playing a very clever game with his business. The idea is: hire inexperienced workers, pay them well below national average salaries with meager benefits for technical jobs, and then produce publications for the lowest bidders in international academia. These employees are often given unreasonable expectations and expected to produce publications with often poorly presented manuscripts and materials (lowest bidder material), but because the company seems like a foot in the door for these young people, they put up with it. It's a vicious cycle. It's like an abusive relationship, or a vampire, feeding on you but keeping you alive. The CEO presents himself as a hands-off leader who can one month reward employees with commendations and a loosened leash for their performance, and then the next drive quantities of people to quit, or even in some instances, go on a haphazard firing spree.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers a respectable salary based on national industry standards, or set reasonable expectations for the kind of material you're willing to produce and sell.

"Enough is Enough"

I have been working at IGI Global full-time

Pros

The singular pro to this horrible place is the people that they somehow deceive into working there. The staff is a collection of some of the most hard-working, thoughtful and fun people you will ever have the good fortune to meet. It's not unheard of for somebody that is leaving to feel guilty for leaving behind their former coworkers. Survivor's guilt, in a sense.

Cons

Where to start.

Well, the upper management seems to think that a great alternative to having a good environment is to lie about it online. Every 5 star review on this site is by one of the owner's inner circle. Not only do they write knowingly misleading reviews, but they have concocted a strategy to attempt to game the system since the poor reviews on this site were leading to a lack of people applying.

There are so many reasons why this place is a terrible place to work, but the biggest two would come down to the owner and his sidekick. For a long time, it seemed like a lot of the bad was coming directly from the owner, who is rarely ever there. It has since become apparent that the biggest issue is the people he is surrounding himself with. Since he is rarely in the office (twice a week maybe), he only hears one side of the story from sycophants and charlatans. This has lead to a toxic environment that eats away at you the longer you are there. Talk to one of the employees that have been there longer than a few years and you'll see what I mean.

This doesn't absolve the owner of blame. He is quick to anger, dismissive, arrogant, and, at the worst of times, completely uninformed at the running of his own company. He can have swings where he is nice to his employees, but the next day, he'll be back to screaming at people until they are in tears.

A lot of the management are nightmares. They has way to much control over everything and one spends most of their time watching the cameras set up around the building making sure people arrive on time and are working a full 8 hours (spoiler alert, they are, but this person has called people out for being 1 minute late when there is flexible scheduling). The same person throws their weight around constantly and when they have been confronted about something, they runs to the owner.

A lot has been made about the sexual harassment claim, as it should. Unfortunately, that wasn't the first, or last, time something like that has happened. Same person committing it, just different women. It's very sad and it appears that nothing will be done about it.

Outside of the owner's inner circle having way too much control, the expectations fluctuate widely from month to month, week to week, and day to day. They will go from being widely unrealistic to insanely unrealistic on a daily basis based on the mood of the owner and certain members of management that is based on reports that nobody else can see or substantiate. When these unrealistic goals aren't met, people will usually be fired, or at the very least threatened with being fired. That happens very, very often.

The whole turnover thing is actually a bit of a joke among the staff. There are several lists floating around naming who has all left and when. The amount of names on each list is staggering. You may be able to look at that as "this is a great starter job, look at all the people that have gotten elsewhere", but that's simply not the case. Of the ones who weren't fired, the others ran screaming from this place to anywhere that would hire them. Some took pay cuts, some got out of the industry entirely.

That's what this place does to you. You either stay long enough to be defeated, or you leave and the well is poisoned for you. Everybody deals with this employment a different way. Some get so mad they walk out, never to be seen again. Some give up, going through the motions everyday. Some stop caring and spend most of their time looking desperately for something else. Everybody's different. But when you work at a place that you can compare with PTSD, something is wrong. Something is rotten at IGI Global, and I'm not sure it can be fixed.

Advice to Management

Instead of wasting time making fake reviews on a job review site, use the site for what it was meant for. Read the negatives, and work on them. These people are your employees and want to work in a better environment. Just look at what happened when you gave everybody flexible scheduling and started treating them remotely like people. Production went up massively to the point of putting out record numbers. People were happier and you didn't lose anybody for a few months. I'm not sure what happened to cause that backslide into bad, but it might not be too late.

"The Literal Worst Place I've Ever Worked (And I've Worked in Food Service)"

I worked at IGI Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My only fond memories of this place were the people that I directly worked with that were not sucking up to management, and my first weeks there when I wasn't fully aware of how horrible a place to work this is. My and my coworker's mutual lowered spirits and continual battering from upper management bonded us encouraged many a talk about how soon we could "get out" and finally move to a place that would appreciate us. I enjoyed getting to know my very under-appreciated coworkers and still enjoy speaking with them today. Thankfully many of them have moved on. Another final pro was having a short commute to work.

Cons

Where to begin. So many cons to working at IGI Global. From the very beginning when I was hired right out of college and offered my first "real job", I was under-appreciated by being offered a salary that was amazingly low. Being brand new to the professional world, I didn't realize this at first, but after all of my predecessors moved on and I was offered the position to manage my department, my raise was so insanely minimal that I was making the same as my newest employees (whom I helped to hire). Talk about taking advantage. Someone from upper management couldn't even look me in the eye as she offered me my "raise". I couldn't even ask for a greater raise to a salary I deserved, as the previous employee to do that was promptly fired. Thankfully I moved on to a company that actually appreciated my work, and paid me significantly more for a fraction of the work I was expected to complete at IGI.

Salary aside, meetings with the owner were such a joke that I dreaded them every week. One week I would be (literally) yelled at for not having specific information and numbers right off the top of my head that he suddenly decided he needed. When I came prepared with that information the next week (because he finally calmed down and asked me to bring it the following week) the owner fell asleep while I presented this oh so important information (an no, I am not kidding. I had to say his name quite loudly to wake him up). After finally waking up, he proceed to (again, no exaggeration here) count the money that was in his pocket, read his receipts, and then leave the room without a word and return 15 minutes later with a cup of hot tea. Only then, once he had missed my entire presentation, did he begin yelling at me again. There was literally no point in presenting information to him, as he clearly didn't care about anything but yelling at his employees and expecting that to magically make the company do better.

While most of my coworkers were lovely people stuck in a horrible situation, there were a few who would do anything to look good in the owner's eyes. When the owner was confused about an email update I sent to him each week and began asking someone who ran marketing why some information didn't look to be updated, the the marketing employee immediately blamed me and said that my numbers had to be wrong, and searched through the rest of the report and began accusing me of not making any changes to my own information and not doing my job, when none of that was being questioned at all. I finally had the chance to explain that the owner was looking at the wrong email update and that all was well, but I was appalled that another manager would so quickly rip me apart to make him and his department look better, rather than rationally assessing the situation and asking me personally where the problem may have stemmed from. Communication in non-existent at IGI Global, and with the fear that anyone may be fired at the drop of a hat, those looking to stick around are quick to belittle and trash their fellow employees. Wonderful teamwork environment....

Finally, I could go on about the lack of an actual HR department, lack of training to anyone in a new position, and lack of care for the quality of their publications. There were many a meeting I sat in where the owner said, quite clearly, that checking for plagiarism wasn't our problem and if any legal action ever comes, we have a copyright agreement saying we can shuffle it off on the authors....but many other reviews below have already touched on that, so I'll let you check them out for yourselves.

Advice to Management

Please just sell the company to some who:
    1) Knows what they are doing and how to run a publishing company
    2) Appreciates their employees
    3) Actually cares about the quality of what they publish

"Stay away Little pay"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Hershey, PA

I have been working at IGI Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex time as long as your manager allows you. Some departments are allowed to come in earlier to leave earlier, some are encouraged to come in earlier, but leave at the later time.

Cons

I wouldn't stress working over 40 hours if the salary hit the 30 mark, but to give 10 extra hours of your time for a wage equivalent to working at Walmart? No thanks. To the comment about working where you want to live and that IGI Glob is the only publisher around... Yeah, ok. People laugh at the fact they call themselves a publisher. They are a mockery to others in the publishing industry and the CEO makes 7 figures a year on the record, on the record seven figures, while his employees are brought in at 28,000. He makes seven figures on the record for copy and paste material. He makes seven figures a year with only having 50 employees. What?

Advice to Management

Publish for comedy writers because that place is a joke.

"The Things One May See as an Intermediary"

Former Employee - Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at IGI Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting some of the most wonderful people you will ever have the pleasure to work with; although it will not last, as the company needs to insert a revolving door, making it easier for those they expend at will.

The luncheons were good.

Cons

Unfortunately theses wonderful employees are under a rule polluted in arrogance and doltish management.

The company begs for leadership, but the CEO is unwilling to dedicate training time. HR created and put forth monthly leadership training modules, which they also conducted to save the company thousands per month. They only ran for two hours per session, but was seen as a waste of production time by management. To IGI Global, investing time into your leaders so they can work more efficiently and ethically is a waste of two hours per month.

The luncheons are most likely not the regales they once were, since prepared sandwich cuts are much cheaper and much easier to coordinate. Because homemade vegan dishes were prepared to suit the diet of a few employees, HR was yelled at by someone at an executive level, stating HR needs to stop catering to a select few. They failed to understand inclusiveness. Something that is contagious amongst management.

Most disturbing was the way HR was treated during an investigation of a sexual harassment case. After statements were taken from the employees involved, HR received a phone call from the CEO stating, "You not the police. You don't take statement." When the CEO was reminded of HR's obligation to the employees and EEOC, he countered "You work for me, not state of Pennsylvania. If don't like, I can fire you and you can work there." Needless to say, HR felt threatened and needed to close the case the best they could with the pressure from above. From that moment on, the environment grew virulent for Human Resources and the department was disbanded a few months later, spreading the work out amongst three managers. Leaving yet more people to work in human resources without the experience or the education. Related? Who knows?

Advice to Management

I don't care enough to offer advice. Go under. Please.