IGS Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott White

Pros
Cons
  • What I didn't know until I started was that this was a door to door sales job (in 11 reviews)

• Door to door sales are the big intern positions, not beneficial for certain career paths (in 7 reviews)

"HEC (Home Energy Consultant)"

Current Employee - Home Energy Consultant in Jenkintown, PA
    Current Employee - Home Energy Consultant in Jenkintown, PA

I have been working at IGS Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People you work with are great! Every employee gets equal beat down for sales. Allow you to work for charitable organizations and help out in the community.

Cons

Door to door sales - Work Mon. thru Fri. but if you don't meet sales quota you have to work Saturdays. Be careful, if you don't meet sales, verbal warning 1st, written 2nd and
    3rd written for termination. Plan on working 6 days a week. 2 days out of the week are meetings so your day will be extra long - 9 am to 8pm. Gift card bonus - so you have to pay taxes on them by the next check and 20 cents per mile on travel expenses. Too low, federal is like 57 cents now. Won't talk about health benefits. Better for your health to have a less stressful job.

Advice to Management

Employees understand that if we don't sell, management doesn't make the money. Pyramid type of thing. Would be nice not to get so many messages on the work I-pad beating you down to "keep pushing" and "sell strong" as you are working. Employees need to make the money, so they don't have to be reminded when they are having a hard time closing. If you sell good, the quota will change for you so you have to work even harder! Huge turnover of employees. Need to go back to original shorter hours and show better appreciation so that sales force can have a life.

IGS Energy Response

Apr 20, 2017 – HR Business Partner

I’m sorry to hear that you have not had a positive work experience. We are always open to employee feedback and want employees to feel positively about their experience working for us. Please ... More

"Tier 3 Infrastructure Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I worked at IGS Energy full-time

Pros

Great pay and good community outreach programs. MOST of the teams had great cooperation and respect for each other.

Cons

Incredibly full of itself and constantly "clicks" forming among favorites within upper management. You were more valuable if you played nice and never disagreed with a select few.

Advice to Management

Nothing said here will matter

"Not for most people"

Former Employee - Home Energy Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Home Energy Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at IGS Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Potential to earn excellent money. Excellent front office people. Competency of regional management varies from excellent to poor.

Cons

Long hours - Noon to 9 pm minimum. They tell you you can have Saturdays off if you meet quota, but then they raise the quota to make that impossible. Miss quota 3 times and you are out. Some months are good, but others your price is too high and you won't make any sales.

Advice to Management

Offer more short term rate options to be price competitive with the utilities year-round, not just winter gas and summer electric.

"Not what they tell you"

Current Employee - Home Energy Consultant in Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Home Energy Consultant in Maumee, OH

I have been working at IGS Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you 20 cents per mile, except you might be traveling 70+ miles a day... Not really a pro

Cons

At first they make you believe this job is no ordinary door to door sales, and then for orientation they take you down to Dublin, OH and put you up in a really nice hotel for one night. The term for this is "HoneyPotting", they show you all the amazing things they can offer, then once you get sent to your branch reality sets in.... Im a door to door salesman and 99% of the people i talk to want nothing to do with you... THE END

Advice to Management

DONT SOLICIT PEOPLE

"Unprofessional to say the least."

Former Employee - Consultant in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Modesto, CA

I worked at IGS Energy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Must be self motivated to succeed
    Great for people who want to start over
    Great for people that love talking to people
    And very good for FEARLESS people.
    I'm guessing good pay, considering there are people still working for the company on commission for more than 2 years.
    Green energy and actually wants to save it's customers money unlike a lot of the other gas and electricity suppliers.
    Means well.

Cons

Only payed on commission
    Working long hours despite working "part time"
    If you don't get any pick up's, you're screwed.
    The people I worked with in California are...Unprofessional to say the least. They know their things, but the way things were conducted was ridiculous, but one of my biggest gripes with this company was that they would have people working in a dangerous city up until 7 in the afternoon with drug attics out. Even the people that we were trying to get to sign were upset that they'd have us working out there at night, which really made me question if the company,"cares" about their consultants.Even less when I asked one of my co workers why they do that he replied,"Oh that's nothing, they'd have us work until 8 p.m then we started getting complaints so we stopped." It made the impression on me that they only cared about making sales and money.

Advice to Management

Take some control over your employee's. Be more of their boss and not their friend, take into consideration the surrounding of where you drop off your consultants. Also if you are going to buy a house and rent the rooms to employee's, set some STANDARDS. The house looks like a frat house, with stains of all kind on the walls to the carpet. Mind you this is (WAS) a nice 2 story house in the rich part of the area. Become more professional and if that means firing certain people and re accessing how to manage again, then do that.
    Another thing is to discuss hours with new employee's or people inquiring about the job. Be truthful to them if they will be working 4 hours (normal) or literally 10 hours out knocking on houses. Also discuss pay, do not say you get payed weekly, that you will be payed every 2 weeks for the work you did prior.

"Hard Work doesn't Pay off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IGS Energy (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great facility, a lot of great people work there

Cons

Company went from a small nice family owned company to a large corporate monster.

Advice to Management

Reward those who actually do hard work. IGS Energy has lost a lot of great employees because of their failure to acknowledge those that do work. They say they want "rock stars", but a rock star by definition is a self absorbed drug addict.

"I was misinformed of the products, therefore involuntarily lied to people"

Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Modesto, CA

I worked at IGS Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was there, just out of reach. They put you up in 2 bed hotel rooms...3 or 4 to a room...

Cons

They lied to me completely. I was misinformed of the reading of energy bills, so I thought i was saving people money, but really I was raising their rate. I have recieved angry calls from customers who have my personal line...ugh. a nightmare.

"Not Great"

Former Employee - Field Agent in Boardman, OH
    Former Employee - Field Agent in Boardman, OH

I worked at IGS Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talking to people, Exercise, walking Alot, Got Breaks

Cons

Not making money, rude People, Cops, feeling like i worked for free.

"Sales"

I worked at IGS Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IGS Energy is growing extremely fast however so is Energy in general. Most business is done through broker relationships and sales departments do not get along.

Cons

Its extremely competitive to get into the door and management only cares about a few reps who bring in the largest accounts. Competitors typically price us out of deals.

"Home Energy Consultant"

I worked at IGS Energy full-time

Pros

Pays well for a door to door job, 401k, great amount of PTO time, uncapped commission and they give a cell allowance.

Cons

Usually a 6 day a week job (Sundays off), Was told to lie to customers about contracts, theres not much room to grow within the company. Lots of wear and tear on your personal vehicle.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful with you employees, calling unnecessary meetings that took away hours of knocking was stressful. Maybe look at the hours of knocking, lots of negative responses from customers when you would show up at the door in the pitch black.