IGT Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Marco Sala

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Communication from upper management can be lacking at times (in 53 reviews)

• Lacks work life balance as a priority - Technology is pushed hard year round (in 20 reviews)

"Tech Writers - Not a good job"

Pros

Reno is a fun city due to all of the events like Hot August Nights and the shows that come through town.

Cons

The pay was substandard (compared to other jobs across the country) for the work expected. Several times, we were put in the position of writing a product guide under the gun. The pressure was completely intense. When we did well, we got a pat on the head, and that's all. When it came time for raises/promotions, there was always some excuse as to why we didn't get one. I finally got so fed up, I left the company - by doing so, I got a 10K raise!

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they are worth.

"Honest review of what used to be a very good company (GTech)."

I have been working at IGT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company operates on a somehow stable line of business (people throw away money in casinos and lottery, hoping to get rich even during desperate times).
    Health insurance is ok.

Cons

Horrible leadership, they do not walk the talk.
    Don't believe me? Google "IGT NYSE" and see for yourself how "Diverse" management is on the pics when they rang the bell at the stock exchange. Not a single female, not a single person from a minority group, no one younger than 55; hypocrisy more like it when they are supposed to promote and be proud of "Diversity and Inclusion".

Salaries are way below average.
    Engineers and support people are pushed to the extreme. No work-life balance. Non-existing raises (unless a 0.5 to 2% annual raise may be "potentially available" only if you "perform above and beyond your regular duties" sounds like a good deal to you), extreme cut of "unnecessary" costs (training and development included of course), people is expected to be available to work after hours and weekends as the norm and not as the exception.

Long timers have no state of the art skills at all; management, "leadership", engineering, project, processes and work procedures are very aged. For instance, some managers want to "teach you Agile" when they are clueless about what Agile means. The Human Resources "partners" are the worst I have ever seen: they have zero respect for people and care more about how employees dress or "patrol the desks" instead of ensuring they have the right conditions and tools to perform their very demanding work. Individuals are promoted to management positions because of the number of years at the company, experience (read, doing exactly the same tasks the same exact same way for years), closeness (read, friendship) to Directors or VPs without any regard of what people and soft-skills they may have.

On the flip side, if you are a Tech Director or HR partner, you can very well do your grocery shopping during work hours, go to happy hour or leave for home at 2:00 PM; yes, that is a fact.

Advice to Management

What's the point when they only care about their profit and quarterly numbers regardless of how they make it even if that means burning people.

Brilliant employees are leaving the company or looking to go to greener fields.

"Would not recomend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at IGT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work 'directly' with, are for the most part, awesome. Average to good benefit package but could be greatly improved. Large company

Cons

Work Life balance can suffer greatly at times. The upper level management always gets their perks, bonuses, etc. Where as the grunts, yea, not so much. We should be happy and thankful for .5 to 2% raises? If they do them at all this year? The folks from 'on high' are so out of touch and or dont care that right now there is a major push to change that via 'employee engagement'. I've heard that before. Prove it this time.

Advice to Management

If the employee engagement is real this time around, prove it, and then that would be a start. How do you go about making up for all the years in the past where the little guys (that do all the work) got screwed?

"Company is Dying"

Current Employee - QA Tester in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IGT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, good people locally.

Cons

This company used to be a good place to work. I have always cared about this Company and i still do to an extent but I'm frustrated. The Italians who now own it are running it into the ground. This Company has always demanded a lot from it's employees but if you put in the work it usually would pay off. That is not the case anymore. Employees are clearly not this company's top priority anymore. If it does not start doing more for its employees the next 10 years are not going to be any better. This company is getting purged of it talent and the effect are easy to spot. The quality of the SW we bring is just not there anymore. we constantly are missing timelines for our customers.

Advice to Management

I think collectively they need to go to upper management and just flat out tell them they need do a better job of taking care of there employees. There is a reason they are losing all there talent.

"A former great company that may never recover from mismanagement"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at IGT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A 5 hour workday. There is usually someone else that does the actual work. Directors are seldom around so freedom for long lunches reducing the workday to 3 hours.

Cons

The bonus amount gets considerably smaller each year. Stock grants are gone for managers. Most managers can't do their jobs while a large minority do not even know their product line. It is very hard to be motivated for even the simplest tasks.

Advice to Management

Keep track of your direct reports, no one else will. Focus on the product, not the process. Bring benefits back before all the talent is gone.

6. "RLT II"

I have been working at IGT full-time

Pros

The people in my immediate area are great.

Cons

A lot of backstabbing and blame is pushed to the people at the bottom.

7. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at IGT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and time off

Cons

Top heavy management; micro management has reached new levels.

Advice to Management

Let your people run the business and stop analyzing to the "nth" degree.

"Not Predictable"

Current Employee - Technician in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Technician in Reno, NV

I have been working at IGT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance is about the only Pro

Cons

Company lays people off frequently. It is always a surprise to still have a job.

Advice to Management

Close the doors.

9. "Stock is up, employees down"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IGT full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, good local people, flex hours

Cons

Company is very creative moving numbers around to increase shareholder value at the expense of talent leaving or being pressured out through attrition. R&D has a bad connotation now. There won't be any talent left to innovate to remain competitive at this rate.

Advice to Management

The legacy divide is still far to obvious, and is heavily biased. Communication is non-existent in the CTO org. Having a patent portfolio does not equate to innovation if the talent is out the door. Sayonara.

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at IGT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Provides trainings at various times of the year.

Cons

Lack of flexibility and mobility in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Have consistent policies within departments. Allow more flexibility with work schedules. Management does not incorporate trainings into practice and is not receptive to employee feedback. Promised growth opportunities when hired but they have failed to follow through