IHS Markit Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.1
IHS Markit CEO Lance Uggla
Lance Uggla
Pros
  • "great work life balance great colleagues(in 481 reviews)

• "Work environment is really awesome(in 189 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Middle management is not upto the standard(in 83 reviews)

• "Senior Management don't want to be or are unskilled in people management(in 60 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of IHS Markit and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Great organisation to work for.

Dec 11, 2020 - Assistant Director in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good organisation and environment to work in, the team is collaborative and helpful. Good work life balance. Integrity is key within the organisation. Management is very approachable and supportive.

Cons

Like any big organisation there is always room for improvement, it is evolving. Some departments greater than others.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Work

May 6, 2021 - Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair, caring leadership that pays generously.

Cons

Huge company so it is easy to get lost

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic culture, reasonable hours, adequate pay, plenty of learning/development opportunities

Apr 13, 2021 - Global Markets Intelligence Analyst in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working here. Managers are extremely understanding and appreciative of analysts. Very rarely do I find myself stressed out. Hours are definitely reasonable compared with other firms, and allows for a comfortable work/life balance. Managers are very flexible when it comes to taking vacation. A lot of learning opportunities as we deal with market activity daily. Frequent communication with clients helps improve your confidence on the phone/knowledge of your sector. Plenty of opportunities to stand up and stand out within the company. Plenty of opportunity for internal mobility if you aren't happy with your role.

Cons

Some of the daily/weekly workflow can get monotonous after a while. I've seen a lot of turnover since I began. If you're placed on a good team, you will likely have a very good experience, but I've seen it go both ways.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

True Work/Life Balance

Mar 9, 2021 - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has an amazing CEO who truly cares about the people who work for him. They are very involved in true diversity and Lance isn't just another CEO who says the right things to win people over - his actions speak very loudly. Management as a whole is a really good group of people. I feel very supported in my role. It's an ever-changing job as I work in financial services so I never feel stagnant. Benefits are great, the work culture is fun, but challenging, and they offer a lot of PTO so I don't feel like I have to work a lot of hours just to gain time off. During the pandemic, the company immediately took care of their employees. They even gave us "sick-leave" for COVID which didn't use our personal time off hours. I thought that was a nice touch considering a lot of people may have had the expectation we would need to use our PTO for illness. The Dallas office also issued out a bunch of laptops so we could be accommodated to work at home without disruptions. A year into working from home and our productivity has not dropped - couldn't have been done without a great support system.

Cons

Communication between management and their teams could always be improved.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

long term growth

Apr 13, 2021 - Principal Solutions Architect in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the first large company I haven't felt the need to leave after a few years; they're stable and growing, and take the active effort to grow their employees along with them. There's a focus on career development with a transparent promotion process, and plenty of opportunity for lateral or vertical movement as they hire from the inside. Most of my team has been working here at least 10 years.

Cons

Stable growth isn't always fast, and mastering a role while preparing for the next does take time - if you like changing jobs every few years chasing the top salary IHSM might not be the best fit, but if you value long term stability then give this place a look.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A great place to grow and learn!

Apr 14, 2021 - Executive Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many great reasons to work at IHS Markit. As an analyst, I find the diverse nature of our various business lines extremely compelling. I learn something new every day, both within my area of expertise, as well as with other industry verticals. The company is very employee-centric and particularly focused on nurturing talent. There is truly an "air of innovation" within the firm, as well as a very supportive career pathing process allowing for personal development whether one is a people manager or an individual contributor. IHS Markit is truly an exceptional place to work!

Cons

As firms grow, it can be challenging to retain focus in key areas whether business unit related or employee related, yet IHS Markit has navigated those waters quite effectively in my opinion.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company to work for, good career pathing.

May 5, 2021 - Associate Director, Sales in Southfield, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunities to learn, grow, and move around in the company. Senior management is close to employees in a good way.

Cons

Products are vast...it does take time to become a SME.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very supportive leadership, recognize and reward success, emphasis on work/life balance

Apr 20, 2021 - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Englewood, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership team truly cares about their employees and recognizes our contributions and success. There is a strong emphasis on work/life balance, a sense of belonging, inclusion, and focus on making improvements in areas where the corporation can do better.

Cons

There are some limitation on career advancement in certain areas where management positions are limited. Some organization are siloed so it can be difficult to learn about opportunities in other lines of business.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Executive role leading business unit.

Apr 26, 2021 - Vice President in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company has amazing resources across a wide-range of industries. Very employee focussed and strong interest in building a workplace that is balanced.

Cons

It's a large global entity and a person has to understand working within a 15,000 employee company.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

typical multinational corporation - stable bureaucracy

Mar 8, 2021 - Director of Web Development in Boulder, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance can be good. There are a lot of cracks for things to fall through, so getting little to nothing done for long periods of time can be easy, if that is your goal. It's a stable company with good future revenue growth, so if you're a director level or above and get stock options, it can benefit your bank account.

Cons

You are just a cog in the machine. Your job is to read process documents and press the buttons on the computer just like the documentation says. There's very little chance to learn how or why about anything. Virtually all roles are administrative by nature, as the company reformed into a "policy driven company" in 2017 or so. Your daily tasks will primarily be tracking down proprietary internal information so you can fill out forms to submit to the multiple layers of approval and task distribution teams. There is a strong culture of "pushing" on tasks, which strongly correlates to a culture of bullying. Your production is tracked, measured, and evaluated by unknown people that are likely not in the same office. Salaries are deeply under valued, and compensation increases are virtually non-existent. All levels of management will give a pat answer that their hands are tied and they can't do anything about it.

2 people found this review helpful