IHS Reviews | Glassdoor

IHS is now known as IHS Markit. Merged together we harness the deepest sources of information, analytics and expertise to forge solutions for industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. We call this The New Intelligence. We serve over 50,000 customers in over 140 countries. Visit our new page!

IHS Reviews

IHS President and Chief Executive Officer Jerre Stead
Jerre Stead

1. Featured Review

"Working at IHS"

I have been working at IHS full-time

Pros

Great people, great culture
    Great place to work for people wanting the right balance of opportunity & recognition
    Fast paced and constantly changing
    Fantastic success over the last 10 years

Cons

If you want consistent structure & predictability, this is not the place for you
    Rapid growth comes at a cost - not everything is a slick, sharp or efficient as it needs to be. However, with the right people asking the right questions and working together, every day is about evolution, improvement & achievement

Advice to Management

Keep communicating and involving employees
    Protect and continue to build the culture of achievement, reward & recognition

IHS Response

Jun 10, 2016 – Talent Acquisiiton

We are so glad to hear your thoughts- thank you for sharing! We continue to strive to improve our communications to colleagues.

"Polk / IHS pre Markit merger"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at IHS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of experienced and knowledgeable employees make up the majority of the Automotive business line (pre-merger, R. L. Polk & Co.). This was a diverse group that all worked together toward common goals and customer satisfaction.

Cons

Post merger of Polk and IHS some of the working together as a team was lost. This was sad to witness in a company that had been around for over 100 years (Polk).

Advice to Management

Don't dismiss experience. As much as you don't want to hear "we've always done it that way" also dig deeper into why it was done that way, there are reasons you may not fully comprehend behind practices that may affect your customers, both internal and external.

"Benefits"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at IHS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company merged recently and is adopting some of the other companies benefits, which seems nice thus far. Hoping for a few other changes overall.

Cons

The work from home policy is lacking. The company supposedly allows it, but depending on your leader, the rule is seriously lacking.

Advice to Management

Transparency is everything.

"6 years, no loyalty from management or team. Be ready to worry about your job every quarterly earnings results..."

Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at IHS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was very competitive, insurance cost very low, bonus' still given out, and very fast paced work environment. Management style promotes hands off(to a fault)

Cons

Management only worried about bottom line, mentoring non-existent, watch out for the white boxes every 3 months when the stocks drop in price. The acquisition rate was so fast that they never fully got integrated. If you disagree with anyone above you watch your back.

Advice to Management

Care a little and don't get complacent with your team and care about them as people not just another company assert.

"Corporate Takeover"

I worked at IHS full-time

Pros

Company was great when it was Polk

Cons

IHS is all about acquisitions

"Customer Solutions Advisor II"

Former Employee - Customer Solution Advisor II in Pinole, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Solution Advisor II in Pinole, CA

I worked at IHS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Able to work remotely for a global company. Company willing to upgrade computer and mobile phone equipment. Global intra-net to maintain contact among colleagues across the globe.

Cons

Very structured, so limited flexibility. "Top down" chain of command structure. Some software, especially the CRM, was outdated.

Advice to Management

Allow Customer Solution Advisors more authority/flexibility to delight customers.

8. "Great Company, Great Team"

Pros

The team I worked with was amazing, and helpful.

Cons

The company structure is a little unstable, and the internship program wasn't well defined.

9. "Marketing and Conference Planner"

Pros

Great team of professionals to work with. Company transitioning presence on the web

Cons

Company downsized many departments due to cutbacks

Advice to Management

I loved working with my team. Miss them tremendously.

"Zero culture- the office felt like an asylum"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at IHS full-time

Pros

working with some of the brightest people in the country. plenty of seminars and presentations to learn other areas outside of your expertise.

Cons

Zero transparency with higher management. only talked to my manager once a week, if even.. culture is non-existent-- felt almost dungeon like. minimal training. minimal collaboration.

Advice to Management

Lighten up, get to know your employees. Focus on team building and support. communication is the biggest issue.

"Director of Sales"

Pros

Paychecks show up on time although each year the strap you with an unachievable goal so they don't have to pay you what your target is

Cons

The worst executive team I've ever run into in my 27 year career. I worked there 7 years and each year they would give us a new VP that was even more clueless than the one the replaced. The administrative burden kills sales people and the clients are treated like they are the problem!

Advice to Management

Turn your focus away from an operational focus and trying to survive the next reorg and go see clients for a taste of reality. Your products don't deserve the prices you are trying to sell them for because besides energy, they are me too at best.