IKA Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Refika Bilgic

1. Featured Review

"Good People, Good Process, and Good Product"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at IKA Works full-time

Pros

I've found the people at IKA to be respectful towards one another in a professional manner. When the owner visits the Wilmington subsidiary, he'll walk around and politely greet everyone. The CEO knows everyone by name, and respectfully greets IKA employees when she's walking by. IKA also makes a conscientious effort in employee appreciation. From professionally catered Christmas parties, to subsidized lunches, free yoga classes, employee exchange program, IKA kids camp, free farm produce, and surprise German chocolates at Easter, IKA does more for its employees than many other companies. IKA also provides fair pay and benefits, as well as a beautiful modern building to work in. Vacation is better than most US companies and time is managed in a honest manner.

Operations at IKA are very well managed. Overall business seems to flow smoothly through the facility. There is a healthy pool of experience at IKA, and well qualified employees in both the senior and entry levels. The business system at IKA works well, supported by its continued growth in sales and operations.

IKA’s products are the highest quality in both of their divisions, Laboratory and Processing. IKA continues to design and offer new products to grow its market share.

Cons

As IKA continues to grow, it's evident that more manufacturing space is needed. Furtunately, IKA is expanding the US facility to increase manufacturing capability and capacity.

2. "I enjoy working at IKA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at IKA Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great company
    - Great work environment
    - Awesome products and technology
    - Motivating vision
    - Lots of investments into the future
    - Great incentives to employees
    - Wilmington very important to the company group + expanding

Cons

Can't think of any atm

Advice to Management

Keep the company running

Feb 8, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your positive review and advice. It encourages us to work even harder and ensure our employees have a great place to work.

"Not the best work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I worked at IKA Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IKA offers subsidized lunches two times a week.
    Generous paid holiday leave between Christmas and the New Year.
    New facility with lots of natural light.
    Quality products

Cons

IKA does not offer competitive pay and typically had not offered bonuses. Raises; even with an excellent review, are minimal. The environment is very toxic and people do not strive to maintain a professional atmosphere, despite the polished appearance of the facility and the employees. The company as a whole is very superficial and cares little for the well being of their employees. Many managers are very poor and do not provide the structure and support that their employees need to flourish, grow or perform well at their job. Some managers resort to hostility and make the work environment unpleasant. There is a lot of sexism and favoritism in the company. What is good for one is not good for all. Rules are only applicable to some individuals. The lab and process division seem to be treated differently. The lab division will go on elaborate outings and trips, where the process division does none of this.
    There is little room for advancement or growth int he company. There has been a large amount of turn over in the past 3 years.

Advice to Management

Reward those that are deserving. Provide competitive salaries. Ensure that employees are being treated fairly, especially when considering race and gender. Be open to suggestions. The high rate of turn-over is telling that something needs to be fixed. If multiple people have complaints about a manager, listen to them, there is probably something to what they are saying. Turn-over will continue with poor management - look at your managers carefully. Really listen to what is being said in exit interviews, people typically don't leave unless they are really unhappy. Remove the drama from the work place.

Jan 18, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback. We carefully review and reward the performance of our employees and are always open for suggestions. For 2017, we are very happy to introduce our Employee ... More

"Great place to work IF you are GERMAN"

I worked at IKA Works full-time

Pros

There are some really remarkable individuals throughout different departments of the company. My manager was really good. Also the free produce, subsidized lunches and vacation time once accrued.

Cons

The current structure of the company is not designed to allow any individual to climb the corporate ladder. The annual performance appraisals are irrelevant. Even if you receive a great performance evaluation you could still only receive a 1% salary increase. The annual increases are not based on the documented performance evaluations, but rather on the personal preference of the CEO. Unfortunately the CEO is incompetent and cares more about the aesthetics of the facility than the employees in it. The CEO is completely clueless nor does this individual genuinely care about the well-being of the employees. The employees tend to operate in fear that they might lose their job because of the CEO's personal preference. Unfortunately the CEO's personal preference varies daily and usually doesn't have anything to do with work ethics or achievements. I have seen an excellent worker fired because of CEO's flippant mood that particular day.

A major concern is the high NEW HIRE turnover rate; nearly 15 employees have resigned in the last ~90 days. The new hires tend to stay with the company 2 years or less. These new hires are not temps or contract workers, these resignations are from salary based employees. Although 15 employees may not seem like a lot, IKA of Wilmington only had 100 employees prior to these resignations. Once senior management begins to retire in the next 5-10 years, IKA will essentially become a revolving door for employees.

Moreover, the production manager is intellectually insecure. This is also a major concern because this individual strives to make themselves feel superior and is a major contributor to the decrease of morale in the workplace. This individual is self-centered and arrogant. The production manager proves their incompetents by lacking the ability to solve even the most basic problems without referring to their personal support system. The morale throughout multiple departments is significantly lower when this individual is present. This individual is destructive and in essence, toxic for the morale of the IKA community. The worst part about this individual is that they appear to be really friendly but their actions are simply malicious.

Advice to Management

There are some really amazing workers at IKA, but until the CEO values these individuals OR if an unbiased structure is implemented then IKA will become a REVOLVING DOOR. Show the employees that you appreciate them. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on random facility upgrades or spending $100,000(guesstimate) on one random company function; perhaps provide employees with a BONUS. A BONUS is the step in the right direction to boost morale instead of last year's “bonus” of a ~$10 phone charger from the CEO.

Oct 8, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. The new building is only a minor representation of the hard work and dedication our employees have demonstrated over the years. Without their presence, time and work, we ... More

"QC/ lab assembler"

Former Employee - QC- Lab Assembly in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - QC- Lab Assembly in Wilmington, NC

I worked at IKA Works full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Renee and his mother has made the company a family atmosphere. We were treated like family until about 4to 5 years ago. It's a strong company and you can make money there but as the years pass there won't be any fond memories. People now leave there, where at one time they stayed and hoped to retire around in the family atsmophere.

New management doesn't concern themselves with the departments bickering between themselves. Tried nothing to solve issues mostly adds to it. Griping between shipping, lab assembly, service and QC doesn't make for a pleasurable day. Money is good vacation and holidays are wonderful. But if you don't have that caring element then it's all lost. It will no longer be family just corporate.

Cons

Renee if you could live a week as an ordinary employee 5 yr ago and then today you would see such a dramatic change amongst the long time employees. I would tell the new ones when they ask questions about the OLD days how good it was but unfortunely they won't know that family atsmophere. I was let go unfairly because of new management. I didn't know how to assemble as many units as my coworkers. This is used as a tool to choose you when someone needs to be let due to less production needed. But if your manager says to work where you are the fastest THEN I'm QC (that is what I was hired in to do). Then when new products come in and you are not given a chance to learn anything because she puts others doing them, this also helps to end my employment with IKA. In another time when family did for family, if any positions were open then you would be given an opportunity to do that position instead of being laid off. There were 2 positions open and I put in for one but I wasn't given an opportunity to work there even if it would have filled an open position and eases up on another that was supposedly over staffed. Our manager brought on an intern which is wonderful, every one needs a break in life. But not sure how the times for our build was dispersed when she was doing our job and even though manager said her time was different than ours. The job still had time on it that was for lab to count for us!

Advice to Management

Renee IKA is as I said a wonderful company and I thank you for the opportunity of having been able to work there almost 14years and being chosen to visit your beautiful Staufen and meeting the IKA Germany people. It's a memory myself, daughter, and granddaughter will cherish forever. For all the employees still there please take an active part in putting the family feeling back.

Dec 8, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We care about our employees very much and provide them with support when needed, even in their hardest times. Giving back to our employees children through our Kidscamp ... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I worked at IKA Works full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good vacation with competitive salary. Very interesting product. IKA Wilmington has a great group of employees, many who have been with the company for over 20 years. This level of experience and know-how is a rare occurrence in today's workplace so that sets IKA apart from the rest.

Cons

The corporate culture took a nose dive after 2011. In latter years, the focus shifted from rewarding employees for great work and high sales, to slashing bonuses and to punishing employees for drinking coffee from cups other than the assigned Tervis mugs (you may think I am joking, but this really happened). Deep disconnect between upper management and employees and many people getting fired for no reason. Lacking employee empowerment.

Advice to Management

Listen to and encourage initiative from employees. Reward them for achieved sales targets.

"Think twice aboout working for this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Nice Facility (Wilmington, NC)
    Average benefits at best.

Cons

Employees are not valued.
    Low pay across the board.
    High turnover.
    Declining sales (declining company outlook)
    Distrust of CEO permeates throughout.

Advice to Management

Return to the old ways (5 years and beyond) where it was run as a family business that values employees. This would give you dedicated and hard working employees who care about the company instead of the current trend where most employees are there for a pay check and/or health insurance.

Oct 8, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. While our turnover was higher than usual in 2016, we look forward to celebrating the hard work of our employees with 5, 10, 15 and 20 year milestone anniversaries.

"Technical Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Good salary, nice benefits. Nice facility to work in.

Cons

Very pressure-driven environment, with a super competitive sales environment.

"It is nice working for a company that cares."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at IKA Works full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and great products make the day to day fun. We manufacture high quality products, and we are never bored. There are new applications for our products everyday, and the changes present a contant challenge.

Cons

Heavy workloads and space restraints. We have had some heavty growth spirts, and we have not kept up with personnel and building space needs.

Advice to Management

Listen objectively to experienced management team !

"Family-run business growing on a global scale"

I have been working at IKA Works full-time

Pros

Not your standard corporate red tape issues.
    Very fluid and growing.
    Great benefits, some rather unconventional, making IKA a unique place to work.
    Very employee-oriented

Cons

A few growing pains in regards to some new ventures of the company, which is understandable. It can only get better in time and with experience.