IKA Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Refika Bilgic

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good People, Good Process, and Good Product"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at IKA Works full-time

Pros

I've found the people at IKA to be respectful towards one another in a professional manner. When the owner visits the Wilmington subsidiary, he'll walk around and politely greet everyone. The CEO knows everyone by name, and respectfully greets IKA employees when she's walking by. IKA also makes a conscientious effort in employee appreciation. From professionally catered Christmas parties, to subsidized lunches, free yoga classes, employee exchange program, IKA kids camp, free farm produce, and surprise German chocolates at Easter, IKA does more for its employees than many other companies. IKA also provides fair pay and benefits, as well as a beautiful modern building to work in. Vacation is better than most US companies and time is managed in a honest manner.

Operations at IKA are very well managed. Overall business seems to flow smoothly through the facility. There is a healthy pool of experience at IKA, and well qualified employees in both the senior and entry levels. The business system at IKA works well, supported by its continued growth in sales and operations.

IKA’s products are the highest quality in both of their divisions, Laboratory and Processing. IKA continues to design and offer new products to grow its market share.

Cons

As IKA continues to grow, it's evident that more manufacturing space is needed. Furtunately, IKA is expanding the US facility to increase manufacturing capability and capacity.

"Oh really"

I have been working at IKA Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working employees. A number of products

Cons

There are a number of fake reviews. Not only fake but entirely inconsistent with the remaining reviews, or reality.

Reviews such as "Happy Employee", "Good People, Good Process, and Good Product" and "I enjoy working at IKA". With all of the negative reviews unfortunately, these reviews do not have any negative CONS....I believe it's upper managements (CEO etc) desperate attempt to "save" their image to the general public.

Advice to Management

Instead of writing fake reviews, change the internal processes that are unfair to employees. The CEO should enroll in a leadership course, at minimum treat us as valued employees. If leadership valued us, we would actually enjoy coming to work and perform above and beyond.

Oct 3, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. The reviews are not fake. We welcome any feedback or suggestions on our processes and if you are a current employee, please share them with your direct supervisor or... More

"Unsecure"

I have been working at IKA Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work here are very kind and fun to work with. Lots of time off family-orientated.

Cons

CEO does not treat everyone fairly she clearly has her favorites. Treats certain people with little to no respect rude at times. Very unstable work environment poor planning poor applications that require babysitting not sophisticated enough for you to perform your work duties in an effective And Timely manner. Very disorganized which makes it difficult for one to focus at the task at hand with numerous interruptions and not have enough people to cover. Poor management and there are favorites. Also, 4 people fired within 3 mos.

Advice to Management

You need a new CEO and revamp your management teams or send them to managing classes so they are aware on how poor their skills are perhaps their team will do better.

"Years later still the same one issue"

I worked at IKA Works full-time

Pros

Absolutely the team and coworkers. Could not agree more with what others have said. Great unconventional benefits include the farm with fresh produce for the employees and an all expense paid trip to Germany for the children of employees. Great experience for your kids!

Cons

Looking at the reviews, not much has changed with the (now) CEO. How did she get there you might ask? She is the girlfriend of the German owner and had no previous leadership experience. I was hopeful she would have learned how to be an effective leader in these last few years but the negative reviews prove that's still not the case. Look at the company responses given to negative reviews. Most don't even address the common themes people have mentioned and just talk about the benefits as it would be enough to offset an ineffective leader. If you have to work with this CEO on a regular basis, you'll get the picture pretty quickly. Also, look at the recent review that's all rosy. Sounds very corporate and thus fake to me. I don't doubt she's ok with business side, yet she's horrible with people.

Advice to Management

If you haven't discovered the common denominator yet, either send your CEO to a leadership class on how to effectively engage with her staff or replace her as CEO.

Aug 15, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review and finding the time to think of us. Hopefully and sincerely, you are doing well in your new organization. All the best, Refika Bilgic, CEO

"Hostile work environment"

I have been working at IKA Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is difficult to mention the pros of working here. I guess the benefits are good and also the coworkers are nice people.

Cons

Search online the phrase "IKA-works hostile work environment" and you will soon see what kind of dysfunction and culture exists here. The court documents are all public records including a very lengthy deposition from the owner and CEO.

I am in an active job search and so are many of my work colleagues. I just try to get through each day.

Advice to Management

My advice is not to management. They don't listen. If they did they would have a CEO with real life experience and leadership.

My advice is to job seekers. If you accept a job don't say you weren't warned. If you do take a job here, good luck.

Mar 24, 2017 – CEO

Dear "current anonymous employee",

It is really sad to see this as a post on here rather than having a constructive conversation about your feelings working in the organization.

We... More

"DYSFUNCTIONAL COMPANY IN MORE THAN ONE WAY!!!"

I have been working at IKA Works full-time

Pros

some of the people are nice to work with. Company has brought in yoga sessions that you can attend for free although working here you will need as many as you can take to keep your sanity.

Cons

This is not a place to work if you have a career or want a career. At Ika you are so micro managed that you will not have your own job duties. A few key management run the show and you just show up to do what they say, how they say and when they say. If you are the type of person who just wants to show up and have someone tell you what to do and how to do it and not be relevant to the job other than that, then this is the place for you.
    Although you are hired at a Salary position you are truly an hourly position - every minute is accounted for and if you are short then it will be taken from your vacation time, you do not have the freedom to come and go or to work from home.
    The Key management team that runs the operation of the place do not seem to work together or even be on the same page at any point and time which results in chaos that you are left to deal with and no support from your own management to help resolve for future similar situations.
    It is obvious that the few positive reviews are from the upper management as it tries to "market" the company - so please really do your research before applying here to work and take to heart what the current employees are posting. There is a very high turnover and no room to grow into management positions if that is what you are looking for.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing a true management staff. Treat your staff with respect instead of the dismissal wave of the hand.

Mar 16, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We would encourage you to talk with your direct supervisor or any one in our Leadership team. We are very much interested in having an exchange and addressing concerns... More

7. "Happy employee"

I have been working at IKA Works full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Family oriented.

Cons

Cannot say anything bad about this company.

Feb 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to continuing the hard work and effort to making IKA a great place to work for and for our employees to enjoy their work-life-balance.

8. "I enjoy working at IKA"

I have been working at IKA Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great company
    - Great work environment
    - Awesome products and technology
    - Motivating vision
    - Lots of investments into the future
    - Great incentives to employees
    - Wilmington very important to the company group + expanding

Cons

Can't think of any atm

Advice to Management

Keep the company running

Feb 8, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your positive review and advice. It encourages us to work even harder and ensure our employees have a great place to work.

"Modern facility, more like prison"

I worked at IKA Works full-time

Pros

Timely pay and nice staff.

Cons

Leadership, toxic work environment, adults are required to drink out of sippy cups, emotionally unstable CEO, work culture is sad and depressing, extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Some people cannot be bought.....you have to change the company leadership.

Feb 23, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review. Our leadership team is an established team with many years of experience. We have high expectations for our employees and are excited to reward them for their hard work. We... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at IKA Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, great coworkers, service is ok

Cons

CEO terminate you for no reason, nitty picking and stressful environment even when exceding goals
    Would have loved to stay working if it wasn't for Refika Bilgic. Feel sorry for the employees that need to walk on eggshells.

Advice to Management

Remove CEO

Jan 25, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We set high expectations and in sales, not only hard, but also soft goals are important. We invest a lot in our personnel and want to ensure that our investments in... More