IKEA Reviews | Glassdoor

IKEA Country Manager Lars Petersson
Lars Petersson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "hard to get a work/life balance" (in 74 reviews)

• "Can be a bit difficult to be absent as a part-time; although you can do shift swap, or take some days off your given holiday" (in 61 reviews)

1. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in West Chester, OH

I have been working at IKEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a relaxing environment they keep you informed on next steps

Cons

It took a little longer then what I was told to here back so I was starting to wonder

2. "Call Center Representative"

Former Employee - Cal Center Representative in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Cal Center Representative in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IKEA (Less than a year)

Pros

Ikea call center agents had a great training program that took two weeks to complete. The office was friendly and staff leads were always helpful providing individual coaching everyday. Strict schedule that provided structure to the office.

Cons

Customers could be a challenge to resolve conflicts with at times.

"Not a company to work for long term"

Former Employee - Home Furnishings Consultant in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Home Furnishings Consultant in Emeryville, CA

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun co-workers
    -Casual atmosphere
    -Decent starting pay for retail work
    -15% discount off everything in store
    -Inexpensive lunches
    -Benefits, including matching 401K contributions

Cons

-IKEA restructured, doing away with all the HR investments they had for their co-workers when I started in 2012.
    -No more annual performance evaluations, which used to end with a small annual raise. There also used to be an annual bonus program that ended around 2016.
    -IKEA hides behind a smoke and mirrors display of innovation, inclusivity, and diplomacy. However, the US stores have fallen short to the European stores in terms of technology, overall work/life balance, and co-worker engagement.
    -Right before I left, IKEA changed to a more Americanized business operation, taking away the salaries of upper management and switching them to lower, hourly wages. They created more positions within the store that they do not have the resources to hire for and fill. Current staff is spread thin across many different areas and have not received compensation increases.

Advice to Management

Tell it like it is--Your co-workers can tell when a solution isn't working, and we can all see that Organizing for Growth is failing. You have lost managers who have been loyal to your organization for decades.

"Worried"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a great opportunity for growth and great benefits, PTO is out of this world!

Cons

There are a lot of changes coming. Benefits are changing, store structure is changing and communication is BAD, both within the store and between the corporate office and the stores.

Advice to Management

Realize that sales plateauing/declining isn't your hourly co-workers fault so they shouldn't be punished with benefit changes. IKEA was a great company and it had a loyal fan base and opening a store on every state is just sucking income from your existing stores. IKEA was a destination with a unique environment that worked, bending over for the whims of the american consumer is ruining the company. Yes, multi-channel is important but we're too late to the game and we're quickly becoming a joke. Let Wayfair be Wayfair and let Amazon be Amazon and let us be IKEA. Rushing expansion and launching new services without the infrastructure is ruining our reputation.

"Ikea Costa Mesa"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IKEA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay
    In general company has great values, decent pay, just management and policies need to be properly enforced to retain more workers. Very very high worker turnover rate. Some don't last a week, some don't even show up for first day of work when scheduled and they hardly call in to cover those vacancies.

Cons

High school type of atmosphere where people made clicks. Management favored individuals who kissed butt over those who worked hard and actually showed up on time.
    Sometimes the benefits and pay don't feel like they covered how stressful the environment was. Often understaffed during weekends and managers tend to hide in their office during busy business hours. Mangers helping in the trenches boosts morale, when they disappear during busy hours and are difficult to reach when problems arise leads to an over stressed employee. Sometimes managers broke rules for customers so they wouldn't have to deal with the customer hence making you look like an butt even though you were following store procedures. Back up your workers so they don't feel undermined and the feeling of resentment doesn't develop between management and employee.
    People who kissed butt got preferential treatment over those others who worked hard and didn't kiss butt. Asking for time off needs to be done way ahead of time and most managers aren't flexible if something unexpected comes up. Instead of having policies apply to all workers, sometimes it was whatever the manager wanted and differentiated amongst departments, example in my department you weren't allowed to switch shifts because it occured often yet a different department was able to accommodate schedule changes, how exactly is it fair that some individuals abuse the system and others also take the blame when they hardly change shifts. You don't punish the whole for the actions of the few. You hold those that abuse the system accountable for and correct their behavior, don't penalize everyone. Life happens and every once in a while people need proper accommodation without fearing that their employment may be in jeopardy. Doesn't seem fair. Instead they should limit amount of shift changed to accommodate emergencies. Coworkers don't properly know how to approach each other when problems arise, instead of saying something is uncomfortable or a topic is off-limits they go to hr and escalate it quickly when it can easily be handled without having to go up in command sometimes.
    Policy tends to be up to how HR or managers interpret it, not uniform throughout stores. Example, conflict of interest, not allowing family to hold a position above another family member yet this policy wasn't enforced when siblings where given a position of management above each other yet in my case I was unable to work in same department with a family member where I held no power above said family member.

Advice to Management

Assess individuals on what they contribute to the job, not on how well they can kiss butt. Work ethics over whoever is friendlier towards you, it is a fast paced environment, staff those employees who work efficiently and want to be there over those who you become buddies with.

6. "Great Job but Compensation doeant make up for lack of hours."

Current Employee - Prepand Flow Co-Worker I in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Prepand Flow Co-Worker I in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, friendly atmosphere, great benefits

Cons

Not enough hours, hard to move up within

7. "Great company, Great co workers, excellent benefits pay is okay."

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, OR

I have been working at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and co workers are excellent. Cafeteria food for a 3$ lunch. Bonus. Free coffee. Even better

Cons

Pays not that great and promotions are hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Behind the scenes co workers are in physically demanding jobs. Compensate accordingly. Make it easier to transfer to other positions in the company. It makes for a well rounded co worker

"Might Jump Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, decent discounts, co-worker purchase program.

Cons

Pay is no longer competitive, PTO has been reduced, new organization no longer cares for coworkers, hours have been cut, higher work load for less pay, no growth opportunities unless already in a like position, horrible management, OUTRAGEOUS turnover!

Advice to Management

Stop trying to sugar coat everything, stop lying to the coworkers. We know that certain things are privy to only management but when its information that you have and can share with your coworkers, do so! We have families that we need to provide for and cannot wait for the next schedule to come out to find out that we are no longer getting the hours we were accustomed to getting. We cannot and shouldn't have to use our PTO to supplement the hours we are no longer getting! I work hard for those hours and I want to use those hours for what they are intended for! I shouldn't have to use those hours to schedule a doctors appointment because management cant be bothered to be accommodating anymore! Work life balance? Ha whats that?! You work us closing shifts six days straight and then wonder why we are so tired and so irritable, we have families we cant see because one person is asked to do the work of thirty! Oh but use your PTO take some time off, HOW?! I had to use it to get my hours for the week so that i can pay my bills!! Money! Talking about money! Pay us what we deserve! This whole increase company wide crap is just that, crap! We don't all do the same work and we shouldn't all get paid as if we do! You need to value the coworkers that have stood by your side for years and given so much to the company, that is the only way IKEA is going to get back to how they use to be! Stop trying to Americanize a company that was commended for their Swedish ties! WE Americans are lazy and self riotous and take everything for granted! Make this the company that I and so many others fell in love with! Stick up for those who have no voice anymore! BE the leader that Ingvar wanted us all to be!

"merchandising"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule, coworkers are really nice

Cons

Poor communication from management. After the changes in last October the stores gone to shiit. 4G was supposed to help coworkers but instead has made the problems worse. So much has changed since I started there. Idk what the point of a open door policy is, when the managers don't apparently have the time to listen. Even though they spend most of their shift in the admin office sitting on their butts on the computer, while all the work fall onto the coworkers. Now merchandising gets forced to help out every other department every day but does merchandising ever get help? No we just get to pick up the slack from every other department. Prep and flow is doing the worst. They are weeks behind in the trucks. And so customers come into the store, thinking we have items in stock because they checked online. And then they get mad at us because its nowhere to be found because prep and flow cant get their shiit together. Also active sellers get paid way to much money to just stand around and answer questions, especially when merchandising has to answer most of the customer questions, because no active sellers are anywhere to be found. Funny that they get paid $17 an hour but merchandising gets $14 and does all the work. Luckily I was in prep and flow first and I got to keep my pay when I transferred.

Advice to Management

Make sure you invest into the coworkers you already have. Theres no reason to hire a bunch of seasonal when you have everyone fighting for hours? How does this make sense? Also managers should be held to the same standard as regular employees correct? Because at the costa mesa, CA store they're not, they're apparently above everyone else. Not a great work environment

"Friendly Work Environment But, could use a raise."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at IKEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team Leaders are very good at fostering a open and friendly work space, much more positive then my past Retail jobs.

Cons

$12.00 an hour while working 35+ hours is very difficult to live off of.
    We always seem to be under staffed, which makes it extremely difficult to problem solve and provide service to customers when It's busy.
     from the perspective of someone who's only been there for 3 months, I feel like we are so overwhelmed with trying to get through the day that there is no time to actually improve systems in the store or the way we work.

Advice to Management

Ikea Uses the MIT Living Wage Calculator to determine the bottom of the pay scale. However it doesn't seem like the compensation is up to date with what the MIT calculator is Showing. For workers in King county for a single adult is $13.39. I suggest management stay on top of compensating your workers especially in an area with many competitors.

Showing 1,531 of 2,898 reviews