FilterUS - All Cities Sales Coworker-showroom
I have been working at IKEA part-time (Less than a year)
Pretty sweet co-workers, everyone is usually nice. Decent training program. Pretty nice uniforms.
Takes too long to apply to a different department. High standards for low pay. Very formalized HR process. The efficiency of the department largely rest with the management of the department, so you see a lot of lacking departments and others excelling.
Advice to Management
Less stringent and more flexible... Teach to the core of the values.. Not specificity that is so rigid.
I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than 3 years)
Great people, extensive training, wonderful benefits. Sales is fun and interactive, especially in the showroom (markethall and self serve is much more physically intense). I've learned so much here! Better retail experience than most. Job security = peace of mind. No barriers between upper management and coworkers - you're free to share ideas and concerns without repercussion. Great environment!
- Schedule is never consistent, and it's hard to get a weekend off
- Pay is minimal if you're not at management, and annual raises are measly- I started at $10 and 3 years later, only make $11
- No commission makes it hard for coworkers to stay motivated- you'll make the same amount if you slack off than if you work your hardest
- Very hard to move into management position since there is very little turnover in those positions
Advice to Management
Reward your best coworkers with higher wages!
- FREE IKEA uniforms!!! (including polo shirts, sweatshirts, fleece jackets etc.)
- Staff meal for $3 including soup, salad, beverage, and entree.
- Part-time benefits (15% co-worker discount, 401k w/ company match, Win-Win annual co-worker bonus, health, vision, dental insurance)
- Very laid back
- Extremely flexible w/ time-off requests w/ at least 3 weeks advance notice
- IKEA uniforms tend to wear out, fade out, and tear very easily (sometimes after 1 wash)
- Customers ask silly questions (e.g. "Hi! Do you work here?", "Can I ask you a question?")
- Have to be standing for most, if not the entire shift
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?