IKEA Reviews | Glassdoor

IKEA Country Manager Lars Petersson
Lars Petersson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can take a bit of a hit at times (in 55 reviews)

• Work/life balance poor for part time staff as they work most weekends (in 55 reviews)

1. "Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Boston, MA

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ikea has changed ,And not for the better.

Cons

Ikea has restructured in 2017 , expect lower pay in the future for all jobs . Most management jobs have been eliminated almost two thirds in the Boston Ikea,This will make promotions difficult.

Advice to Management

Good luck! Less management ,Less workers ,Less pay....

2. "Worst Job I've Ever Held"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is higher than average and benefits are offered for part-time employees. IKEA has great stated company values (though I would add that middle-managers I've worked for have not exhibited those qualities and seemingly couldn't care less about them.)

Cons

Most of the managers in the South Philadelphia store that I worked with were incompetent and lacked the self-awareness to realize they could do far better-- instead shifting blame onto their already stressed employees (everyone I worked with was looking for a new job at one point, some quit without having another lined up-- it was that bad.) They don't put in the time to know who does a good job and who doesn't so the result is that they micro-manage everybody. Specific job training was pathetic and laughable-- you basically learned everything from coworkers until management gave you a hard time for not doing something you didn't know about. The communication was terrible, because only rarely would they relay their expectations. Even employees who did everything right were still getting berated at the end of the shift. Managers consistently talked down to employees and that's why I left and will never go back. Shame on them.

Advice to Management

Ensure middle-management is treating employees with respect-- there's a reason for high-turnover and it isn't because of higher than average wages-- and check to see IKEA's values being exhibited by managers (in my experience they are not, at all.) With middle managers acting the way I saw, I can only wonder if higher-level managers are either complicit or just ignorant of the realities.

"Not a happy place to work at all"

Current Employee - Customer Support Coworker in White Marsh, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Support Coworker in White Marsh, MD

I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

15% merchandise discount - blue jeans dress code in the call center - seriously that's about the best that can said!

Cons

Virtually EVERYTHING if you are working in the call center and you have a phone based position!
    -Yesterdays technology tomorrow - slow, outdated computer systems that always go down and make the job a struggle to find information quickly or consistently
    -one weekend day each and every weekend is mandatory - you will work every weekend either Saturday or Sunday
    -no shift differential for working later shifts
    -managers are disconnected, never available to help, overburdened with nonsense by upper management or just plain lazy - lazy being the primary attribute
    -very political because it's a typical call center with a flat hierarchy. Everyone in the place is dying to land a job not involving the phones because the customers are evil - but there's a flat structure so there only way to go it pretty much OUT. This explains the constant hiring effort, they simply keep people. Working on the phones in this place is sheer torture.

Advice to Management

1- put your managers / team leaders under the same strict scrutiny that you impose on phone based coworkers. - Make them do some work.
    2- why is there no recognition program? Coworker of the month and a parking spot in front of the building and a lame $10-$50 gift card is not motivation for 98% of your workforce
    3- why no overtime?
    4- why no shift differential
    5- why not an hour lunch
    6- why not hire a candidate pool that is specifically intended to cover weekends, to supplement the regular tenured folks and give them more options with scheduling
    7-any time there is a hold time for customers over an hour - offer overtime in 1/2 increments
    8- how about two monitors to manage the ump-teen systems we're required to utilize when working on the phone with your customers
    9-How about promoting phone coworkers into team leaders instead of recruiting from external sources - you're putting people in a leadership position to manage a process they know nothing about because they've never learned the job we do.. so how exactly are they supposed to be effective in managing a team of phone coworkers?
    -stop opening all these new IKEA store across the country and open up additional call centers. Currently 44 stores in the United States all generating calls into ONE call center of barely 250-300 people. Only a small percentage of that 250-300 people are even taking calls for customers. The staffing level is completely inadequate. When customers sit on hold in excess of 2hours there's a problem. Yet, new store openings are constantly in planning from now until 2021. All those calls are going where? Into the one and only call center. Do the math, open more call centers to handle your miserable customers.

"Horrible Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at IKEA (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are not too bad

Cons

Management has no clue to what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together

"IKEA US Contact Center/CSC"

Former Employee - Front Line Manager in Nottingham, MD
    Former Employee - Front Line Manager in Nottingham, MD

I worked at IKEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed some of my coworkers in the contact center. If their description of the job during the interview held true, I would have never left. Buyer beware.

Cons

By far, the most disorganized place I've ever been employed. There is a complete lack of leadership beyond team leaders/frontline managers. The majority of "veteran" contact center employees were employed less than 6 months with roughly 2 weeks of training. I was hired as a frontline manager. I was in the building for over 2 weeks before my direct department manager made contact with me. That contact was by simple luck because she happened to walk by me on the floor and remembered interviewing me but had no clue I accepted their offer. During my 6 months, I had 2 conversations with manager and one of which was a sort of exit interrogation.

There was a multitude of changes that were made in my 6 months with the company. All of the changes made had a detrimental affect on customers and employees alike.

Advice to Management

Take the advice of your experienced call center employees when it pertains to processes, lack of leadership presence and morale.

"Worst job of my adult life"

Former Employee - Cold Food Prep in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Cold Food Prep in West Chester, OH

I worked at IKEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean work environment. Employee discount.

Cons

Minimum wage. Extremely high turnover rate. Empty promises. Management by spreadsheet.

Advice to Management

Schedule a few more people per shift - minimum wage + working with a skeleton crew spreads your work force too thin and ruins morale.

7. "Cold Prep Server"

Former Employee - Cold Prep Server in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Cold Prep Server in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at IKEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offer good benefits and good pay. You get PTO, sick time and medical

Cons

Understaffed, Poor management, very unorganized there is no communication at the IKEA Brooklyn site

Advice to Management

Better management and more communication towards coworkers.

"Too many Decision makers, no clear vision"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Bloomington, MN

I worked at IKEA (More than 10 years)

Pros

5 weeks vacation, 401k, unattainable bonus, management doesn't work nights, weekends holidays... so you definitely will be

Cons

Good luck taking vacation when you want, raises are a joke 15 to cent 20 raises. Promotions are not based on preformance by on social standing

"Big happy family and Friendship is promoted over experiences. Upper management are untrustworthy."

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most promotions are within. No degree required to move up and far with them. Competitive benefits. Flexible schedule and time off add up quickly.

Cons

Upper managements smile at you, then ask your boss to get ride of you. Always under staff. Very poor customer service. During my time there friendship is huge. A lot of outing, weekend nights drinking between management and coworkers. Big happy family. Friends promote friends. Intimate relations between managers and employees are permitted.
    Since they are always under staff with heavy work loads, it makes it hard to hold anyone accountable.
    Although a degree may not be needed to move up. Friendship is a must or you don't get the position.
    Non stop work in the warehouse until your back break.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about values you do not have and practice.

10. "Ikea is the 7th layer of hell"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in New Haven, CT

I have been working at IKEA (More than a year)

Pros

It was good to be very busy.

Cons

Horrible team, back stabbing team, horrible management, horrible bosses. They would judge your raise on a "performance test" every year, and every year every person on the team failed. Literally. We all failed. Come on now. Law of averages says even if we were all bad workers at least one of us would have passed.

Advice to Management

Get a grip on humanity

Showing 124 of 2,078 reviews