IKEA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 14, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can take a bit of a hit at times (in 59 reviews)

• Work/life balance poor for part time staff as they work most weekends (in 56 reviews)

"Take my word...Don't work for IKEA!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, Overall Benefits, Health Insurance, and 401K.

Otherwise IKEA really doesn't have any other perks. I wouldn't say the pay scale is good, and don't forget that you won't receive any pay raises until January despite getting a raise from your performance review officially in October. That's probably just because IKEA is cheap and they want to make as much interest on the money.

Cons

Management from the top down are truly lost, lazy, and completely out of touch with reality. Don't expect any training because IKEA would rather have a commercial then teach there co-workers correctly how to work. The stores literally don't even have a training plan, and that would be embarrassing by itself except IKEA doesn't need people when you consider the stores never have enough staff anyway to help anyone. Company policies are so horrible that's it's no wonder the BBB gives IKEA an "F". The sad truth is IKEA is more concerned about trying to inflate sales and pretty much run promos and commercials than try to actually fix the business. What kind of business doesn't allow customers to call stores and believes its better to have all calls funneled to only one Call Center for the entire US. The answer is IKEA, because the leadership hands down is incapable of learning from anyone outside and simply is too dumb to realize how absolutely horrible and poor in customer service they are. It really is a sad place to work and don't be a victim.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, but just remember the good people will always know when to walk away and that's the best advice I could give any potential candidates. Company cares more about there "Glassdoor Rating," then they do about the truth, because IKEA really only cares about appearances. IKEA is on a one way ticket to continued flat to negative same
    store sales and continued loss of a customer base because they just don't get it. Best fundamentals are to listen to the people that actually take calls and handle customers, and fire literally every single upper manager from the service office, field, deputy and store. They don't run the business and they sure as hell don't know what they are doing so basically cut your losses and invest that money into staff for the store and support for the people helping customers.

2. "Logistics"

Former Employee - Logistics in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Logistics in Draper, UT

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Many different career opportunities.

Cons

Management is not good about assisting in employee hour restrictions.

Advice to Management

Do a better job at allowing coworkers to have a life outside of work.

"Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Boston, MA

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ikea has changed ,And not for the better.

Cons

Ikea has restructured in 2017 , expect lower pay in the future for all jobs . Most management jobs have been eliminated almost two thirds in the Boston Ikea,This will make promotions difficult.

Advice to Management

Good luck! Less management ,Less workers ,Less pay....

"Really good job especially for college student"

Current Employee - Home Delivery Associated in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Home Delivery Associated in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part really flexible with hrs.

Cons

They break down part time into different levels and at the lowest level you get very limited benefits .

Advice to Management

Help employees and not disappear all day

5. "Poor department self serve"

Former Employee - Self Serve Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Self Serve Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great meal discounts health benefits

Cons

Poor management selfish coworkers rude immature customers

Advice to Management

More team work and better policy for coworkers need to be in place

"Island of Misfit Toys"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at IKEA full-time

Pros

Benefits, competitive salary, employee discount, feel-good perks like free food fairly often, free parking, office environment isn't bad, free coffee and tea

Cons

Inflexible hours, have to punch a clock even when salaried, manual processes for everything, incompetent management, dysfunctional coworkers, malicious gossip

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach - when co-workers are acting against company values, coach them or show them the door.

7. ""happiness comes in a flat pack!""

Former Employee - Business Furnishing Consultant in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Business Furnishing Consultant in New Haven, CT

I worked at IKEA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging environment. Never a dull moment. My co-workers were always supportive, and just plain, old nice people. Loved the veggie meatballs!

Cons

Leaving the late shift and having to clear 7 inches of snow off your car, before you can drive home. Comes with the New England territory.

8. "Home delivery co worker"

Current Employee - Ikea Home Delivery Co-worker in Doral, FL
    Current Employee - Ikea Home Delivery Co-worker in Doral, FL

I have been working at IKEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible with schedules, no black out dates for vacation. Great opportunities to grow in the business field and great networking

Cons

No leadership, managers are very lenient and non involved with the process of coworker and customer interaction. Managers are not cross trained and are only knowledgeable in their dept only

Advice to Management

Needs leadership managers are not well trained

"Shopkeeper"

Current Employee - Shopkeeper in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Shopkeeper in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training is great for new coworkers, benefits are unparalleled, and the people that work there are some of the best I've ever met!

Cons

Management development is lacking except for mandatory trainings, new organizational structure is eliminating 60% of salaried positions, trying to grow too fast.

Advice to Management

There is too much disconnect between the service office and the management at the stores. Too many managers are being left to pasture without training or development. If the upper store management doesn't focus on development there is none for the middle managers to grow on. Coworkers have a very structured 1 year training plan but there is nothing for management. How will you grow in he next ten years without a bench to promote from?!

"Worst Job I've Ever Held"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is higher than average and benefits are offered for part-time employees. IKEA has great stated company values (though I would add that middle-managers I've worked for have not exhibited those qualities and seemingly couldn't care less about them.)

Cons

Most of the managers in the South Philadelphia store that I worked with were incompetent and lacked the self-awareness to realize they could do far better-- instead shifting blame onto their already stressed employees (everyone I worked with was looking for a new job at one point, some quit without having another lined up-- it was that bad.) They don't put in the time to know who does a good job and who doesn't so the result is that they micro-manage everybody. Specific job training was pathetic and laughable-- you basically learned everything from coworkers until management gave you a hard time for not doing something you didn't know about. The communication was terrible, because only rarely would they relay their expectations. Even employees who did everything right were still getting berated at the end of the shift. Managers consistently talked down to employees and that's why I left and will never go back. Shame on them.

Advice to Management

Ensure middle-management is treating employees with respect-- there's a reason for high-turnover and it isn't because of higher than average wages-- and check to see IKEA's values being exhibited by managers (in my experience they are not, at all.) With middle managers acting the way I saw, I can only wonder if higher-level managers are either complicit or just ignorant of the realities.

Showing 2,196 of 2,282 reviews