IKON Reviews | Glassdoor

IKON Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits, great people to work with and incredibly challenging (in 6 reviews)

• Great managers, HR, teamwork among employees, Excellent benefits, (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have 20 word's of cons But upper management did occasionally make rash decisions one of which resulted in my being laid off (in 9 reviews)

• Offer more Promotions for the sales reps (in 7 reviews)

1. "Make it work for you."

Former Employee - Site Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at IKON full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IKON which is now RICOH, had good benefits. Your benefits began on your start date. 401k was good. IKON Management was good at helping you set a career path within the company.

Cons

You have to adapt to different work atmospheres. Some clients have a more strict atmosphere than others.

Advice to Management

Change the rules of moving laterally to other positions to allow enthusiastic employees to grow.

2. "Career Path and goal oriented"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at IKON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good advancement opportunities- drive your own career

Cons

Upper Managers have only one thing in mind- their own careers.

Advice to Management

Invest in front line employees as they are the real core to your success

3. "IKON was a very well-run, operationally sound organization that valued its employees, and showed it."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at IKON full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. Turnover is extremely high right now, and folks with the right attitude, and patience, will be rewarded with opportunities.

Cons

Too common "pass the trash" mentality. Inadequate, and sometimes grossly incompetent, people are moved from job to job rather than being told they are simply the wrong person for the job. Managerial courage is often lacking.

Advice to Management

Although the former emphasis on "our employees are our # 1 asset" has ebbed to the point of almost being non-existent, the individual line-managers can still influence the daily morale and attitude of their teams. Hesitate when stifling dissent. It's often very cathartic, and you might actually learn something from the exchange of ideas.

5. "It was a good job for me"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Melville, NY

I worked at IKON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As my first job out of college it helped me learn how to sell. They offered good training and I had an excellent manager. I did very well and was promoted 3 times. If you are able to close deals you can make some good money.

Cons

Very competative industry and it can be hard to gain market share. Long lease terms equal long sales cycles many times.

6. "No where to go..."

Current Employee - Receptionist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at IKON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice comprehensive package to choose from! Nice tuition reimbursement benefit that I have taken full advantage of!

Cons

Unfortunately not a good company for advancement opportunities. Even though they pay for tuition they do not have any areas to send me. They are not flexible with time off.

Advice to Management

Pay attention....especially to your employees that are actually valuable!!

7. "IKON / Ricoh St. Louis"

Current Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at IKON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people working at this company. Great place to get a year or two experience and then move along to something else. Outstanding service team.

Cons

As with many companies, politics are key to advancing. Compensation plan is HORRIBLE for Account Executives and Major Account Executives. Cost of doing business is expensive because of the very poor expense program. Great place for experience but hope you like Ramen Noodles!

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, no one will listen. Local Senior Management is great, not sure what's going on nationally though.

8. "The left hand does not talk to the right hand."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at IKON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, decent products, great ideas

Cons

pay, product support, and customer service.

Advice to Management

it wouldn't matter what advice I would give as nobody is listening.

9. "Ikon gave me great training and experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at IKON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are alot of really nice people there. Was able to get valuable training and interaction with very talented people.

Cons

I was very happy until I got a Manager that did not like me. It was a painful last 6 months but I will always be indebted to Ikon for my good years there.

Advice to Management

If an employee has proven to be valuable to you, please don't allow a bad manager to ruin them. Try to look at both sides and not assume the Manager is always right just because of their title.

10. "Just another copier company"

Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IKON full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company for your first sales job. Good production devices.

Cons

Too many solutions,that they cannot implement. Difficult or impossible to get commissions paid. Service is cutting corners ,to get profitable again. They want to be a services company,it's a nightmare. Selling phones,IT services,cloud storage,marketing services, too much delagating and finger pointing,no leadership.

Advice to Management

Get involved,get out of the office

11. "UGH - Flaky, Moody ever changing business vision causes all sorts of problems"

Former Employee - Manager II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Seattle, WA

I worked at IKON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great employees and a good manager here or there. Contracted companies treat employees well at site locations (we were contract office management/supplies/printing/document mngt etc type role)

Cons

Low pay rates for front line employees- As a manager I had to try to convince my employes that a 2.5% raise was a good thing - hard to do when they are only making $11/hour to begin with. If you took/were offered a promotion that was 2 or more 'tiers' above your current status they could still 'only' give you a 5% raise -even if you'd make 15-20% more if they hired you from the outside.

Mngt was not communicative and often passive aggressive.
    Lots of documenting things for the sake of documenting, not for a functional purpose.

Advice to Management

I sat in meetings with senior mngt and had them discuss my account where I'd worked on the front lines for years and factually inaccurate information was being used to make decisions - when I updated/corrected information - I was disregarded and ignored -this was silly.