IM Flash Technologies "12 hour shifts" Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

IM Flash Technologies Employee Reviews about "12 hour shifts"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great pay, Great people"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at IMFT for a little over 7 months and I love the company. I have a great schedule (working either 3 or 4 12 hour shifts per week) I get along well with my co-workers, and I get paid well above the industry standard for someone at my skill level.

Cons

the only downside is the lack of application of TPM, which is a manufacturing philosophy which they teach, but do not apply as fully as I believe they should. However, they are working to make this better.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 15, 2018 – Marketing and Communications

Thanks for your feedback on TPM, and we are working to enhance this at the site. We're glad you're liking it here!

"Dry Etch Technican"

Former Employee - Equiptment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Equiptment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great (not the pay). 401k match, medical and dental, etc.

Cons

A lot of work for little pay. Working on tools is not the only thing expected. TPM projects (require you to come in on your off time) you 3/12hr and 4/12 hour shifts. 3 day and 4 day weekends but 12 hour work days are not easy. Pay is terrible for technicians. If you have experience outside of semiconductor work, don't apply. You'll get hired on as a tech 2 and maybe even a tech 1 position. Tech promotion system is political (only speaking for dry etch section).

Advice to Management

Management does not listen to employees (maybe engineers) but not technicians.

"Bring you in with the benefits, keep you there because it's a job"

Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good.
    401k match 5%, HSA healthcare plan and other options available, Life insurance, Dental, vision.
    Night, weekend differential on hourly pay.
    I got a relocation package when I joined the company which was great coming out of college. They helped set me up with the whole process of buying my house.
    Two bonuses per year (depending on company performance)
    System for sending $10 gift cards to coworkers to show appreciation.
    3-4 days off per week

Cons

Rotating schedule every 4 months of days/nights.

Vacation and sick time are in one bank. If you somehow were never sick and didn't work a holiday or take triple time on the holiday, you would have 20 shifts off. 1 per month worked and then 6 recognized holidays.
    If you don't schedule your days off ahead of time then you get an occurrence for it. 5 occurrences per 6 month period. I earned my TOP time. If I have it, I should be able to use it whenever I want.

12 hour shifts are long and full of monotonous, boring work.
    3-4 shift per week, which means more days off in a row, but the job isn't worth it.
    No fulfillment to see results of the work you put in.

Moving up or around is very difficult. They use a system where you have to put in tons of hours of overtime to fill out a document full of a list of necessary tasks which will take a long time to achieve. The document is very vague, and requires things which you have to go out of your way to be able to even start on. Without that document completed, you cannot move up in your position. PRA (position readiness assessment)

They will higher new graduates (with engineering (specifically) degrees only) as engineers instead of the people who have worked there for years and know far more about the process than the new hires will in a year of working.

They'll bring you in with the benefits and it'll sound great to work at but it will fade within the first few months.

Advice to Management

Do away with the PRA promotion policy. There are much better ways to gauge whether someone is excelling in the job role. The PRA is demotivating for the amount of pay it'll increase compared to the amount of time needed to be put into it.

Practice what you preach and promote the people who have worked so hard for several years into the engineer positions instead of only new hires.

Make it so it's a permanent choice between days or nights. Some people want to work days and some want to work nights. Other semiconductor companies have that and are still successful.

"Process Technician"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits are great. both health and paternity/maternity. The job also provides opportunities to work with exciting new technology. There is also a Gym and soon to be a personal trainer and dietitian on staff, as well as an onsite clinic.

Cons

hard work schedule (12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week). There is also mandatory rotation between nights and days for shift workers. All shift work requires work on ether Saturdays of Sundays.

Advice to Management

Provide better resources for advancement and provide better training. It is difficult to keep on top of work requirements and work on required training, much less finding time to work on advancement.

"If you want to be a zombie this job may be for you"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Production) in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Production) in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, multiple benefits, most of the employees were enjoyable to work with.
    Learning something new / better ways of using the systems everyday.
    Very strong core values.
    Company parties were enjoyable.

Cons

Heavy work loads.
    Punished for things out of your control and having to explain things that happened multiple months prior to them speaking to you.
    Brutal hours (12 hour shifts) occasionally more if there were meetings. Requiring employees to come in on days off for meetings.
    Job did not work well with school. Would work a 12 hour day then attend school for another 3 hours after work.
    It did not seem like there were any opportunities without more schooling.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees they are the key to making your company a success.
    Open up more flexible schedules.

6. "A choice employer"

Current Employee - Wet Process T2 Process Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Wet Process T2 Process Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding development opportunities. Strong focus on culture and continuous improvement. Good work-life balance.

Cons

12 hour shifts can be taxing. Attendance policy is very rigid.

Advice to Management

Embrace the work forces integrity and trust them not to abuse a slightly more lenient attendance policy. Kids get sick and need care, then the parent gets sick afterwards. This is a trainable scenario which doesn't warrant people getting written up. Allow managers more discretion in this area.

"Solid and Consistent"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lehi, UT

Pros

Salary is consistent and fair. If you can handle the 12 hour shifts it makes for very long weekends and an easy way to save quickly for long vacations. Once you get the job down, it keeps you busy and time does fly.

Cons

You always have "that one supervisor." I didn't have him, but a friend of mine did and it made life hard for him. Just go to the shift manager and ask for a new assignment with a new supervisor- it's not worth the stress of getting into it with a supervisor.

Advice to Management

Your supervisors control the turnover. When you have multiple people quitting in one division, it's worth looking into who they are all reporting directly to. I witnessed quite a bit of hemorrhaging in one area in particular.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love my job! I have a clear path to promotion. If a person is not getting promoted it is because they are not trying to get promotion. Very challenging and fast paced. Great work/ life balance with the 12 hour shifts.

Cons

Some areas still have supervisors that don't hold their people accountable. Meaning that they have people who do absolutely nothing and do nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight. You have some very talented and motivated people at IM Flash and when you don't deal with the dead weight your superstars will lose motivation.

"This is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Wet Process Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Wet Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) This is overall, a great company to work for and is much more stable than other semiconductors.
    2) Very important: During downturns the company has shown a history of not looking at layoffs as the first solution. Instead they find ways to cut costs but still let people keep their jobs.
    3) I love that everyone from the CEO to the janitorial staff are responsible for the success of the company and there is very little nose turning by upper management.
    4) When they ask for suggestions from employees they actually implement the suggestions given.
    5) Work is challenging enough to not get bored but not to the point of feeling frustrated every day. I actually feel like I accomplish things every day.

Cons

1) Working 4 12 hour shifts in a row and switching between day shift and night shift every 4 months can take a toll on you.

2) Water bottles are not allowed so sometimes you have to walk all the way across the building to a cooler to get water. Because of that, it's really easy to get dehydrated.

3) It's difficult to promote into higher engineering or leadership positions since most people stay in those positions for 5 years +. Since the positions are competitive, there's politics involved. People have to know you and like you. Sometimes people are hand picked and groomed for certain positions.

Advice to Management

The promotion process at IM Flash is vague, subjective, and the paperwork for it is a pain. I believe if you are doing the job at a certain level, the promotion process should be easier.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014 – Marketing and Communications

We're glad your experience has been positive! We actively look at Glassdoor to see how we're doing, so thanks for taking the time to review IM Flash.

"The work is challenging the company has good values and good opportunities for advancement."

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and decent pay. Lots of time off if you don't mind the 12 hour shifts.

Cons

Horrible promotion system. Have to rotate your shift every 4 months.

Advice to Management

Stop rotating the fab workers shift from nights to days and back again every 4 months.