IM Flash Technologies Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Engineer

3.2
Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great place to work with amazing work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Good pay if you get the opportunity to advance (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab (in 8 reviews)

• IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron (in 13 reviews)

"Industry Training Grounds; High Turnover Rate"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compared to other semiconductor companies IMFT's total compensation package is probably slightly below average due the inability to offer stock RSUs as a benefit and the bonuses being meager compared to what the larger corporate parents offer (Intel, Micron). The atmosphere is decidedly more laid-back at IMFT than at the parent companies.

Co-CEOs Bert Blaha and Dave Cheffings are experienced and seasoned leaders who have been on the job for more than a year at this writing. Both have the unenviable background of plant closures/down-sizing, and the timing of their arrival was perceived with great concern since it immediately preceded IMFT's first layoff. Still waiting to see great things happen from them.

IMFT has flaws as all companies do. There is room for improvement - everywhere. If you are local this is a decent place to start a semiconductor industry career, and possibly even if you're moving from out of state. If you are continuing a semiconductor career from another company and expecting greatness, you may be disappointed with IMFT. If you want to set to world on fire look elsewhere; your flame will be extinguished here.

Cons

My negative comments are not motivated by anger, and less so by frustration, although I have a certain level of that. Mostly I am disappointed that IMFT leadership, at ALL LEVELS, is not living up to their stated goals and obvious potential. The old-timers here talk of how things were during the first five or six years and it was much better in their opinion. Now that may be stereotypical but I don't think it can be completely dismissed as just being a misconception based on filtered memories, even a dog knows the difference between being tripped over or a kick. From what I can figure, anyone who was in the semiconductor industry 20-30 years ago the changes have not always been good up to now. My opinion is that IMFT has drifted away from core principles that create and sustain a highly motivated, empowered workforce with esprit de corp.

- Low Pay Compared to Other Semiconductor Companies.

You can start here with 20 years industry experience and they will still low-ball you. Pay raises for Production Techs comes slowly, if at all. This contributes to technician high turnover.

- Low to Mid-level Management Lack Leadership Skills, Senior Management is Uninspiring.

Over-reactive decision-making sometimes leads to one size-fits-all disciplinary methods; do not expect individuals to always be held accountable for their actions, you may find yourself in the "collateral damage zone".

Stated priorities are not effectively promoted by management, nor lapses openly scrutinized and made readily available to facilitate open and frank discussion about failures causes, ideas for improvement, etc.

- Management Not Very Willing to Listen and Learn. (They might hear you, but its not getting through.)

Be careful how much you reveal about your personal life, beliefs, and - most of all - your opinion of how things could be improved at work to achieve the publically stated "values" and internal priorities. The latter is especially futile; they must think they are "world-class" at IMFT despite ample evidence that there is significant room for improvement on all fronts. Your experience-based opinion, however well-intentioned, will come back to haunt you; best to keep it to yourself.

- Poor Communication Methods.

Email frequently used as action communication. Therefore, although your job role may require you to be away from your computer for long periods, you may be expected to check your Inbox often.

Advice to Management

This engineer thinks we need to improve the professionalism of management at all levels, and that all management - especially senior management - should regularly set aside time to talk to their employees to get raw, unfiltered feedback.

"Manufacturing engineering"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work-life balance, allow you great opportunities to get involved with your coworkers outside of work. management is dedicated and hardworking, providing endless support and guidance for growth potential.

Cons

Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab. undervalue careers outside of engineering. male dominated and 24/7 business

Advice to Management

technical skills are not the only education that are needed for success

3. "Intern review"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Team and friendly environment

Cons

Lesser chances in IT department

"You'd better work for a good manager"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefit, good PTO, 401k match

Cons

worked with IMFT for around 2.5 years. I started with a great manager who truly cared about the team members' career development. However, everything changed since she left. The new manager is horrible.

First of all, he is double standard-ed. He is very tolerant with the LDS team members. For the excursions caused by LDS team members, he would find any excuses to help them not to own it. However, for non-LDS team members, even though we did not cause any excursion, he would make us feel guilty of the excursion. The timeline for the project would be greatly different for LDS team members and non-LDS team members.

He hates pregnant women. Once you told him you were pregnant, instead of reducing the work load, he would add more work load for you. I had to work overtime from 8am-8pm when I was 7-9 months pregnant. There were LDS team members in our team who had nothing to do every day, and the manager did not even want them to get busy, or helped me.

He did not care about team member's career development. He never tried to find an opportunity for you to get promoted.

The team goal he has is the opposite of what the team should be doing. He does not care about helping the fab improve the yield. he thought the real work that we were doing to help improve the fab yield was trash work.

There are lots of work load for team members who are not LDS, but LDS team members had nothing to do, except pretended to be busy and still got tons of recognitions from the upper level managers, as long as they did a tiny/small work.

The manager only cares about what he is interested in, not care about what you are interested in.

The manager did not appreciate the hard work we are doing, and he took it as granted.

The manager has very low EQ, and does not have any management skills at all.

There are more to be listed!!!

The last 6 months when i worked there, I was super unhappy and unwilling to go to work every morning, but I had no choice until I could find another job. The day I told them I quit, I had never been that relieved for such a long time. During the exit interview, I told the managers and the HR how I felt in the last few years, and I guess they would not really listen to what I said. The up-ward feedback to the manager was also useless. I entered the information, and my manager was still doing whatever he wanted. The manager was very opinionated and stubborn.

suggestion: if you are neither LDS nor friends with upper level managers, please do not join the company. there is no future for you to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Please train your managers so they have management skills, and some EQ. Just because you guys go to the same LDS church or share the same religious belief, does not mean that guy is or should be promoted as a manager.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. While Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, so we can’t reply to your particular scenario, our HR department thoroughly looks into feedback that comes... More

5. "excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits and salary is competitive
    good work/life balance
    great culture with diversity, and good core values

Cons

management can micromanage at times (not in my department). training for new employees are better in some department than others

Advice to Management

have a balance on micro managing. acknowledge employees when they do a good job and create an environment for your employees where they actually look forward to come to work.

"Dont bother"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None that have any relevancy. No longer having to drag myself to work each day.

Cons

This is the absolute worst place I have ever worked in my professional career. My manager is the biggest micromanager I have ever had the misfortune to ever know. He envisions himself as a superior manager however he has zero ability at allow anyone to take the initiative or do anything. And if something good ever happened he took all the credit. If you are a self thinker and want to contribute to a successful work environment this is not the place for you.

I went to work every single day with dread wondering what lack of integrity I would be faced with by my manager.

Advice to Management

Try to utilize your set of core vales you speak so highly of. These are in reality, non existent at your company at least by your managers and management.

7. "Not Bad"

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Work/ Life balance
    Easy to standout among peers
    Good pay
    Most managers are good

Cons

Too relaxed and complacent with deadlines, expectations and goals. Allows people who are poor performers to get by.
    Tiered promotion scale hits a ceiling at certain levels.
    Company culture can encourage people to become complacent and lack motivation to push themselves.

Advice to Management

Push your employees and do not accept excuses and missed deadlines.

"A Bunch of Micro Managers"

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

When I started it was exciting to work on leading edge technology and most of the people seem to be nice who were not in management. As time passed I started to realize that it was a facade. That in reality it was a sweat shop of oppression.

Cons

Management micromanages their people as if they are incapable of managing their own life and time. This is laughable because most of the employees are college educated engineers that have not achieved the level they are at without being able to take responsibility. What is more laughable is that the constant review to make sure everyone is working on site at least 40 hours is leading to less productivity because people get very good at looking busy and wasting time. This cultural behavior is brought on by the work environment with the open seating without any cube walls and the fact that you had to scan both into and out of the site creating a log of your time on site. This is in contrast to companies like Intel were the management just gives a lot of work a lets people manage their own time to get the projects done and you never scan to get out of the buildings.
    Example: The management chain I was in required that you be on site by 8 am and not leave earlier than 5 pm. If you were late or if you needed to leave early, say for a doctor’s appointment, you had to tell your manager beforehand for their approval and it could not be for more than 2 hours. If it was say 4 hours it was not acceptable for you to flex your time to accommodate, say come in early and leave early or stay late. Instead you were required to use you vacation time for the absence. So let’s say you worked 10 hours on Monday and 10 on Tuesday, those extra 4 hours did not count toward the absence on Wednesday.
    Another Example: I ask once if it would be ok if I left once per week at 4:45 on Thursday to transport one of my kids to an activity. My manager told me that this was not acceptable because someone could schedule a meeting from 4 to 5. The rest of the time I worked at IM Flash no one ever scheduled a meeting from 4 to 5 on Thursday. There was no work life balance or accommodation.
    The result of this policy was counterproductive. People would work the minimum or just above the 40 hours on average to make sure they would not have other issues but they would not work the long hours like other places because there was no benefit.
    Final example: HR said the management could not pull anyone persons time log but they got around this by pulling everyone in a group. I know for a fact that a co-worker was put on a performance improvement plan because one week they only have 39.5 hours logged to the site. What was not taken into count was the time he was working remotely from home because this time is not tracked. In reality he had close to 50 hours in. As part of the PIP he had to show his manager his time log for the next 3 months proving he was on site 40+ hours. This person quit the next year and found a better and higher paying job.
    These are only a few examples of life at IM Flash. Most people live and work in fear at IM Flash and because of this there are quick to throw people under the bus. Managers will take credit for work the people under them have done. If you question management of make any waves you will be drummed out. Do one of two things with IM Flash: save yourself the stress and choose another place to work, or work and plan your exit within 5 years to go to a place the values your experience and will not lord over you. Also bring head phones, it gets very noisy from all the people talking in the big open office.

Advice to Management

I have nothing nice to say to the management. la la la la la la la la la la la

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time at IM Flash. We have forwarded your comments to HR and to Fab leadership for consideration.

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

Salary is above average for the area but on par for the semiconductor industry. They have good bonus program. Seem to be success oriented. Benefits are above average.

Manager seemed to genuinely care about career advancement and had a plan in place but once it was presented to a management level above that person the bureaucracy took over and rather than a common sense look at skills and progress it became an exercise in document formatting...so silly!

Co-workers were great!

Cons

Work environment is antiquated both in physical facilities and management style. *Extremely* rigid work schedule even for "first" shift. There is a "flextime" policy is in place but it isn't real. It isn't really flextime at all. It is laughable. It is M-F 8-5 or they really look down on you.

All workers have the same work space which is a tiny 2x6 plank "desk" in a very noisy and crowded bull-pen. There is no attempt to improve personal work space for those that need to focus and concentrate. Pretty bad.

PCs are antiquated and it is almost impossible to get an "upgrade". For a high tech company it seems odd that most of their equipment is from original inception (circa 2006)...they are a leading producer of SSDs and DRAM but use competitor's HDDs almost exclusively in their equipment and memory in the PCs...you're lucky to get 4GB...go figure that one out!

Parent companies are often at odds as to production priorities. Huh?

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work, lots of hard problems to solve. My management is fairly hands off and I can usually prioritize to what I see needs priority. Not all management is like this however.

Cons

Documentation and training need improvement. A lot of upper level management is very political