IM Flash Technologies Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Engineer

3.4
Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance (at least shift work and as long as you don't mind 4 months of night shift at a time) (in 25 reviews)

• Competitive pay and benefits and a lot of opportunity for growth and development (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab (in 8 reviews)

• The Joint Venture partners do not appear to share the same vision (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Process Integration Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Integration Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good culture, good people and work life balance

Cons

pay raise is slow and

2. "Excellent employeer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, career development, culture, core values, compensation

Cons

I cannot think of any at this time.

3. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. All the locals are out of there by 5pm on the dot, if not earlier. Location is stunning. Pay is pretty good. Good communication. Interesting work and product. Integration group is superb!

Cons

Lab is overwhelmed and lacks some state of art services that would be nice to have on site. Although there is a bonus to simulate stock purchase, the lack of ESPP plan is a great disappointment and the bonus is a pittance compare to what ESPP could have been the past several years. Now to the reason why I resigned in 2017 to my great relief and I've never looked back: After more than a decade at Intel, where I saw and experienced world class and top notch safety, ergonomics, quality, LEAN, rapid-fire problem solving, systems integration coordination and continuous improvement, it was a letdown from day 1 to be part of the hybridized culture of cowboy Micron with mostly lip service to Intel ways. It did not work for me and I suffered constant frustration trying to de-culture from the Intel way. Only those who have culturized at Intel since ~2008 and later can really empathize with me on this. It was a warped and bastardized version with recognizable aspects of correctness. There were honest attempts to get it together, but I never really saw significant materialization of a top-down structure to really fix and gel the culture for the above-named deficiencies. A likely prime case of "rule by committee," I suspect, since top management consists of co-CEOs, although Micron really rules. Although the product was very cool, I regretted my decision to jump from Intel to Flash (read "Micron") nearly from day 1. And I gave it an honest effort. I was born and raised in Utah and after living outside for my entire career (pretty much always working at leading edge R&D and manufacturing facilities), wanted to get back. It didn't work for me.

4. "First time"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art technology development

Cons

JV, means, keep cost and staffing to minimum

Advice to Management

None

"Bully Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, and career growth.

Cons

There are so many bullies within the company that work is unbearable. They completely ignore mental health issues and allow employees to harass and torture people with mental illness. The only thing they spout is Bloomquist Hale provides services for those who may be suffering from mental health issues instead of owning up to what they themselves are doing to the culture of the company. I've worked with the company for many years(10+) and have always gone above and beyond. To have to suffer this injustice is very unethical. The company is on the verge of lawsuite or worse an employee who takes their own life because of the actions of others. They don't value life and despite saying they care about safety they are willing to let people be bullied and harassed and pushed into the throws of depression. There is no ethical training. They have a single guide book on ethics and despite that "guide" have provided more opportunities to married couples /family members which it explicitly states should not happen. They have an anonymous hotline for ethics but having gone to HR unanonymously about specific instances of harrassment and needed their help to stop it they did nothing and management swept it under the rug as if it didn't really happen. It really happened, it was malicious, and because they haven't stopped it the harassment continues to this day. At this point my fear of coming forward is too great. I've already suffer retaliation and for my own safety will keep my head down and do my best to ignore it.

Advice to Management

What will it take to make you realize that ethics are important? What will it take to make you show any compassion? What will it take to make you take this seriously? My hands are tied and all I can do is tell others not to work here. I'm in a position where I can't just up and quit. I used to love my job and I still put my heart and soul into it. Thats an employee you can't just replicate. That is a employee you don't value enough to protect. If you thought using the term "gay" in a derogatory fashion during a meeting was bad then why won't you stop far more psychologically scarring practices like gaslighting. Do you know what the long term affects of gaslighting are? I know you're going to post a couple good evaluations to try to hide the fact that this is happening within the company. It is happening, it is real, and it is turning IMFlash into something unrecognizable. Our culture used to be one of Speed of Trust. Now our culture is one of power and victims.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 2, 2018 – HR Director

This is Greg Schow, Director of HR for IM Flash.

The allegations in your review are alarming to me. You are describing an environment that is not the IM Flash I know as IM Flash does not tolerate... More

"Fantastic Company, Pathetic Management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IM Flash is an overall great company! HR works hard to make the company a great place to work! If it weren't for the horrible management teams, HR could succeed at making IM Flash an amazing place to work. IM Flash pays well and provides nice bonuses and great employee perks.

Cons

IM Flash has one of the worst management teams I've seen. I've worked at 12 different employers in my career, including many corporate companies as well as a few small businesses. IM Flash has perhaps the worst management team I've ever witnessed. They promote managers based on technical and product knowledge, not management skills. Their management team has NO people management talent. Thus, most employees hate their manager and hate their job.

Advice to Management

Read the book, 'First, Break All The Rules' and follow its advice. IM Flash's only current hope for making it a great place to work is that they currently have 2 amazing CEO's. Dave C & Bert B are 2 of the best CEO's I've seen. They were relatively new to their role when writing this review, so time well tell if they can clean out the horrible crop of managers that have infiltrated IM Flash.

"Manufacturing engineering"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work-life balance, allow you great opportunities to get involved with your coworkers outside of work. management is dedicated and hardworking, providing endless support and guidance for growth potential.

Cons

Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab. undervalue careers outside of engineering. male dominated and 24/7 business

Advice to Management

technical skills are not the only education that are needed for success

8. "Intern review"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Team and friendly environment

Cons

Lesser chances in IT department

"You'd better work for a good manager"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefit, good PTO, 401k match

Cons

worked with IMFT for around 2.5 years. I started with a great manager who truly cared about the team members' career development. However, everything changed since she left. The new manager is horrible.

First of all, he is double standard-ed. He is very tolerant with the LDS team members. For the excursions caused by LDS team members, he would find any excuses to help them not to own it. However, for non-LDS team members, even though we did not cause any excursion, he would make us feel guilty of the excursion. The timeline for the project would be greatly different for LDS team members and non-LDS team members.

He hates pregnant women. Once you told him you were pregnant, instead of reducing the work load, he would add more work load for you. I had to work overtime from 8am-8pm when I was 7-9 months pregnant. There were LDS team members in our team who had nothing to do every day, and the manager did not even want them to get busy, or helped me.

He did not care about team member's career development. He never tried to find an opportunity for you to get promoted.

The team goal he has is the opposite of what the team should be doing. He does not care about helping the fab improve the yield. he thought the real work that we were doing to help improve the fab yield was trash work.

There are lots of work load for team members who are not LDS, but LDS team members had nothing to do, except pretended to be busy and still got tons of recognitions from the upper level managers, as long as they did a tiny/small work.

The manager only cares about what he is interested in, not care about what you are interested in.

The manager did not appreciate the hard work we are doing, and he took it as granted.

The manager has very low EQ, and does not have any management skills at all.

There are more to be listed!!!

The last 6 months when i worked there, I was super unhappy and unwilling to go to work every morning, but I had no choice until I could find another job. The day I told them I quit, I had never been that relieved for such a long time. During the exit interview, I told the managers and the HR how I felt in the last few years, and I guess they would not really listen to what I said. The up-ward feedback to the manager was also useless. I entered the information, and my manager was still doing whatever he wanted. The manager was very opinionated and stubborn.

suggestion: if you are neither LDS nor friends with upper level managers, please do not join the company. there is no future for you to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Please train your managers so they have management skills, and some EQ. Just because you guys go to the same LDS church or share the same religious belief, does not mean that guy is or should be promoted as a manager.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. While Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, so we can’t reply to your particular scenario, our HR department thoroughly looks into feedback that comes... More

10. "excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits and salary is competitive
    good work/life balance
    great culture with diversity, and good core values

Cons

management can micromanage at times (not in my department). training for new employees are better in some department than others

Advice to Management

have a balance on micro managing. acknowledge employees when they do a good job and create an environment for your employees where they actually look forward to come to work.