IM Flash Technologies Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Engineer

3.2
Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good culture, good people and work life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "Competitive pay and benefits and a lot of opportunity for growth and development" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab" (in 8 reviews)

• "The Joint Venture partners do not appear to share the same vision" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Process Integration Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Integration Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good culture, good people and work life balance

Cons

pay raise is slow and

2. "Lot's of potential, but mostly falls short"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For the most part the people that work here are great. Everyone has the best intentions and I have rarely seen any conflict. There is none of that petty stuff going on here.

Cons

The work isn’t exactly exciting, or interesting, or challenging. There is a single organization on site where all the glorious stuff goes, and it’s made up of non-IMFT employees. The rest of us get relegated to the doldrums. If you like monotonous and easy work, looking at charts, reading emails, and reporting (a lot) this is a great opportunity. The pay is impressive for the mind-numbing work. But if you expect any engagement on your growth as an employee, or to be pushed to your best, you’re probably going to come up wanting.
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of things working against this company right now. The organization here is a complete mess. There are a ton of people here who are trying to do a good work, but there are so many different people working on the same things, so much confusion, and so many management layers, that it has become near impossible to get anything done. On as average day I probably spend 50% of my time just trying to figure out who is working on what and what I should be working on, another 30% just trying to read a ridiculous amount of emails, and maybe, if I’m lucky 20% of my time goes to actually getting something done, assuming I haven’t found that someone else has done it already, since no one in management talks to each other. I’ve never worked at a company that seems so determined to work against itself and its own success.
    One or two things wrong with a company are acceptable and can be worked with, but on top of all this the future of this company is now completely uncertain. The parent companies are splitting up and this place is caught in the middle. The doors could be closed on this place next year for all we know. They’re trying to entice people to stay, but with that kind of uncertainty, it’s hard to stick around. It’s clear there is no safety here anymore.
    Bottom line, if you want a job where you get paid well, don’t have to accomplish much, and don’t mind not knowing if your job is going to end at any time, this is a great place. If you want to do great things, grow and be your best, and make an actual difference at your workplace, I would probably look for something else.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good compensation
    - Great location
    - Good coworkers
    - Interesting work
    - Company actively striving to improve, recognize priorities of its employees

Cons

- Difficult to navigate promotions
    - High stress
    - Some negative management politics

Advice to Management

Make a greater effort to recognize contributions and capabilities of employees, be more actively engaged in helping pursue career goals and advancements.

4. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Challenging and interesting work. Good in house training. Opportunity for advancement and to do side projects and experiments if justified. Educational reimbursement. Performance monitoring is appropriate, and scheduling was reasonably flexible in my role.

Cons

Management can be tone deaf to needs of nigh shift workers..i.e. asking them to come in for meetings, etc during their sleeping hours.

Advice to Management

Allow process engineers and some other roles to telecommute a couple of days a week. You'll improve their quality of life, reduce traffic bottlenecks, and likely get more productivity if managed correctly.
    Do not ask someone working 4-12 hour night shifts in a row to come in for a 10am meeting and expect them not to fall asleep at the wheel

5. "Excellent employeer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, career development, culture, core values, compensation

Cons

I cannot think of any at this time.

"Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. All the locals are out of there by 5pm on the dot, if not earlier. Location is stunning. Pay is pretty good. Good communication. Interesting work and product. Integration group is superb!

Cons

Lab is overwhelmed and lacks some state of art services that would be nice to have on site. Although there is a bonus to simulate stock purchase, the lack of ESPP plan is a great disappointment and the bonus is a pittance compare to what ESPP could have been the past several years. Now to the reason why I resigned in 2017 to my great relief and I've never looked back: After more than a decade at Intel, where I saw and experienced world class and top notch safety, ergonomics, quality, LEAN, rapid-fire problem solving, systems integration coordination and continuous improvement, it was a letdown from day 1 to be part of the hybridized culture of cowboy Micron with mostly lip service to Intel ways. It did not work for me and I suffered constant frustration trying to de-culture from the Intel way. Only those who have culturized at Intel since ~2008 and later can really empathize with me on this. It was a warped and bastardized version with recognizable aspects of correctness. There were honest attempts to get it together, but I never really saw significant materialization of a top-down structure to really fix and gel the culture for the above-named deficiencies. A likely prime case of "rule by committee," I suspect, since top management consists of co-CEOs, although Micron really rules. Although the product was very cool, I regretted my decision to jump from Intel to Flash (read "Micron") nearly from day 1. And I gave it an honest effort. I was born and raised in Utah and after living outside for my entire career (pretty much always working at leading edge R&D and manufacturing facilities), wanted to get back. It didn't work for me.

7. "First time"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art technology development

Cons

JV, means, keep cost and staffing to minimum

Advice to Management

None

"Bully Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, and career growth.

Cons

There are so many bullies within the company that work is unbearable. They completely ignore mental health issues and allow employees to harass and torture people with mental illness. The only thing they spout is Bloomquist Hale provides services for those who may be suffering from mental health issues instead of owning up to what they themselves are doing to the culture of the company. I've worked with the company for many years(10+) and have always gone above and beyond. To have to suffer this injustice is very unethical. The company is on the verge of lawsuite or worse an employee who takes their own life because of the actions of others. They don't value life and despite saying they care about safety they are willing to let people be bullied and harassed and pushed into the throws of depression. There is no ethical training. They have a single guide book on ethics and despite that "guide" have provided more opportunities to married couples /family members which it explicitly states should not happen. They have an anonymous hotline for ethics but having gone to HR unanonymously about specific instances of harrassment and needed their help to stop it they did nothing and management swept it under the rug as if it didn't really happen. It really happened, it was malicious, and because they haven't stopped it the harassment continues to this day. At this point my fear of coming forward is too great. I've already suffer retaliation and for my own safety will keep my head down and do my best to ignore it.

Advice to Management

What will it take to make you realize that ethics are important? What will it take to make you show any compassion? What will it take to make you take this seriously? My hands are tied and all I can do is tell others not to work here. I'm in a position where I can't just up and quit. I used to love my job and I still put my heart and soul into it. Thats an employee you can't just replicate. That is a employee you don't value enough to protect. If you thought using the term "gay" in a derogatory fashion during a meeting was bad then why won't you stop far more psychologically scarring practices like gaslighting. Do you know what the long term affects of gaslighting are? I know you're going to post a couple good evaluations to try to hide the fact that this is happening within the company. It is happening, it is real, and it is turning IMFlash into something unrecognizable. Our culture used to be one of Speed of Trust. Now our culture is one of power and victims.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 2, 2018 – HR Director

This is Greg Schow, Director of HR for IM Flash.

The allegations in your review are alarming to me. You are describing an environment that is not the IM Flash I know as IM Flash does not tolerate... More

"Fantastic Company, Pathetic Management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IM Flash is an overall great company! HR works hard to make the company a great place to work! If it weren't for the horrible management teams, HR could succeed at making IM Flash an amazing place to work. IM Flash pays well and provides nice bonuses and great employee perks.

Cons

IM Flash has one of the worst management teams I've seen. I've worked at 12 different employers in my career, including many corporate companies as well as a few small businesses. IM Flash has perhaps the worst management team I've ever witnessed. They promote managers based on technical and product knowledge, not management skills. Their management team has NO people management talent. Thus, most employees hate their manager and hate their job.

Advice to Management

Read the book, 'First, Break All The Rules' and follow its advice. IM Flash's only current hope for making it a great place to work is that they currently have 2 amazing CEO's. Dave C & Bert B are 2 of the best CEO's I've seen. They were relatively new to their role when writing this review, so time well tell if they can clean out the horrible crop of managers that have infiltrated IM Flash.

"Manufacturing engineering"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work-life balance, allow you great opportunities to get involved with your coworkers outside of work. management is dedicated and hardworking, providing endless support and guidance for growth potential.

Cons

Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab. undervalue careers outside of engineering. male dominated and 24/7 business

Advice to Management

technical skills are not the only education that are needed for success