IM Flash Technologies Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Engineer

3.2
Bert Blaha & David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great place to work with amazing work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits, nice place to work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a joint venture and is highly dependent on Intel and Micron (in 7 reviews)

• The dual CEO model of the Joint Venture makes alignment of priorities difficult at times, but something we just need to work extra hard at overcoming (in 12 reviews)

1. "excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits and salary is competitive
    good work/life balance
    great culture with diversity, and good core values

Cons

management can micromanage at times (not in my department). training for new employees are better in some department than others

Advice to Management

have a balance on micro managing. acknowledge employees when they do a good job and create an environment for your employees where they actually look forward to come to work.

"Dont bother"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None that have any relevancy. No longer having to drag myself to work each day.

Cons

This is the absolute worst place I have ever worked in my professional career. My manager is the biggest micromanager I have ever had the misfortune to ever know. He envisions himself as a superior manager however he has zero ability at allow anyone to take the initiative or do anything. And if something good ever happened he took all the credit. If you are a self thinker and want to contribute to a successful work environment this is not the place for you.

I went to work every single day with dread wondering what lack of integrity I would be faced with by my manager.

Advice to Management

Try to utilize your set of core vales you speak so highly of. These are in reality, non existent at your company at least by your managers and management.

3. "Not Bad"

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Work/ Life balance
    Easy to standout among peers
    Good pay
    Most managers are good

Cons

Too relaxed and complacent with deadlines, expectations and goals. Allows people who are poor performers to get by.
    Tiered promotion scale hits a ceiling at certain levels.
    Company culture can encourage people to become complacent and lack motivation to push themselves.

Advice to Management

Push your employees and do not accept excuses and missed deadlines.

"A Bunch of Micro Managers"

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

When I started it was exciting to work on leading edge technology and most of the people seem to be nice who were not in management. As time passed I started to realize that it was a facade. That in reality it was a sweat shop of oppression.

Cons

Management micromanages their people as if they are incapable of managing their own life and time. This is laughable because most of the employees are college educated engineers that have not achieved the level they are at without being able to take responsibility. What is more laughable is that the constant review to make sure everyone is working on site at least 40 hours is leading to less productivity because people get very good at looking busy and wasting time. This cultural behavior is brought on by the work environment with the open seating without any cube walls and the fact that you had to scan both into and out of the site creating a log of your time on site. This is in contrast to companies like Intel were the management just gives a lot of work a lets people manage their own time to get the projects done and you never scan to get out of the buildings.
    Example: The management chain I was in required that you be on site by 8 am and not leave earlier than 5 pm. If you were late or if you needed to leave early, say for a doctor’s appointment, you had to tell your manager beforehand for their approval and it could not be for more than 2 hours. If it was say 4 hours it was not acceptable for you to flex your time to accommodate, say come in early and leave early or stay late. Instead you were required to use you vacation time for the absence. So let’s say you worked 10 hours on Monday and 10 on Tuesday, those extra 4 hours did not count toward the absence on Wednesday.
    Another Example: I ask once if it would be ok if I left once per week at 4:45 on Thursday to transport one of my kids to an activity. My manager told me that this was not acceptable because someone could schedule a meeting from 4 to 5. The rest of the time I worked at IM Flash no one ever scheduled a meeting from 4 to 5 on Thursday. There was no work life balance or accommodation.
    The result of this policy was counterproductive. People would work the minimum or just above the 40 hours on average to make sure they would not have other issues but they would not work the long hours like other places because there was no benefit.
    Final example: HR said the management could not pull anyone persons time log but they got around this by pulling everyone in a group. I know for a fact that a co-worker was put on a performance improvement plan because one week they only have 39.5 hours logged to the site. What was not taken into count was the time he was working remotely from home because this time is not tracked. In reality he had close to 50 hours in. As part of the PIP he had to show his manager his time log for the next 3 months proving he was on site 40+ hours. This person quit the next year and found a better and higher paying job.
    These are only a few examples of life at IM Flash. Most people live and work in fear at IM Flash and because of this there are quick to throw people under the bus. Managers will take credit for work the people under them have done. If you question management of make any waves you will be drummed out. Do one of two things with IM Flash: save yourself the stress and choose another place to work, or work and plan your exit within 5 years to go to a place the values your experience and will not lord over you. Also bring head phones, it gets very noisy from all the people talking in the big open office.

Advice to Management

I have nothing nice to say to the management. la la la la la la la la la la la

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time at IM Flash. We have forwarded your comments to HR and to Fab leadership for consideration.

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

Salary is above average for the area but on par for the semiconductor industry. They have good bonus program. Seem to be success oriented. Benefits are above average.

Manager seemed to genuinely care about career advancement and had a plan in place but once it was presented to a management level above that person the bureaucracy took over and rather than a common sense look at skills and progress it became an exercise in document formatting...so silly!

Co-workers were great!

Cons

Work environment is antiquated both in physical facilities and management style. *Extremely* rigid work schedule even for "first" shift. There is a "flextime" policy is in place but it isn't real. It isn't really flextime at all. It is laughable. It is M-F 8-5 or they really look down on you.

All workers have the same work space which is a tiny 2x6 plank "desk" in a very noisy and crowded bull-pen. There is no attempt to improve personal work space for those that need to focus and concentrate. Pretty bad.

PCs are antiquated and it is almost impossible to get an "upgrade". For a high tech company it seems odd that most of their equipment is from original inception (circa 2006)...they are a leading producer of SSDs and DRAM but use competitor's HDDs almost exclusively in their equipment and memory in the PCs...you're lucky to get 4GB...go figure that one out!

Parent companies are often at odds as to production priorities. Huh?

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work, lots of hard problems to solve. My management is fairly hands off and I can usually prioritize to what I see needs priority. Not all management is like this however.

Cons

Documentation and training need improvement. A lot of upper level management is very political

"Beware of Management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology to work on.
    State of the art facility.
    Generally good co-workers to work with.
    Exposure to Intel and Micron.
    Good city and state to work in.
    Decent pay and benefits.
    Safety; Managers is really good at standing at the bottom and top of the stairs to make sure you are holding on to the handles when walking up/down the stairs (seriously, this is not a joke).

Cons

Knowing what I know now, I would not have chosen to work here for these reasons:

There is absolutely no lack of accountability on management. They do not exist on the same level as everyone else. What they say and decide upon is not to be challenged nor questioned, regardless of what the data may say. From one of my personal experience, I had a discussion with my manager on a risk vs reward decision and he agreed on the decision we made together. Then his manager found out about the decision and needless to say, my manager did not hesitate to throw me under the bus in my next one on one. Another experience: the last all hands on deck meeting we had, someone asked if the lay-offs impacting the parent companies would affect IMFlash. CEO says absolutely not, we're already running lean. 2 months go by and they "had" to cut several hundred workers because of the parent companies' condition.

Opinions, suggestions for improvements, and such things can only come top-down. There is no bottom-up flow of communication. There are surveys and such things but rest assured, nothing you say or vote for will really matter.

There is also a lack of career mobility. There is definitely a sense of your work and merit doesn't really matter when it comes to career progression because it really is all about how good your relationship is with the men on the edge cubicles.

There may be other groups in the company who were not like the group I was stuck in so really do your research and if you can, get the inside scoop on the team you're looking to join.

Another regret I have before leaving the company was how much time-off I had I could not use because I thought I was being a good employee by not using my time-off when I didn't really need to. It was seriously stupid of me to not use my time-off for my child's birth because of a fab emergency. I should have never listened to my manager's request for help, it was not more important (except for him) and I was repaid with a one on one where I was told my performance was lacking 2 weeks later.

Last thing, much like other reviews of the company, culture and values are all talk and if nothing else, they only apply to normal employees and not management.

Advice to Management

Not applicable. Management would not listen to internal suggestions, I am not stupid enough to think they would listen to opinions/suggestions coming from outside of the company.

"Cost Reductions and Looking for Interns"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary and benefits with a rewards program for healthy living. Recently opened a Gym and work out area. Yearly employee

Cons

Increasing pressure to speed up process transfers and development with a more intense focus on cutting costs. Recently let go long time employees that helped build company for cost reduction reasons.

Advice to Management

Cutting costs by letting go those who built the company does not build trust in your remaining employees.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Some great people to work with.
    Good location / area to live in.

Cons

Too many policies and plans that don't make sense are handed down by upper-level management / parent companies, and there is no room for discussion even if most of the employees disagree.
    Micron in-house software is usually a pain in the neck.
    Lots of people still think of IM Flash as "the old Micron building."

Advice to Management

You should really demonstrate your own values (Integrity, Commitment, Execution, and Teamwork) in how you treat your employees. Rather than lay off a bunch of highly competent employees to save a few bucks / do what the parents ask, you should cut back on bonuses (starting with your own). The management team should be the first in shouldering the burden of bad decisions and less-than-ideal results. Laying off great employees and then turning around and trying to hire new people is a huge smack in the face.
    You have a lot of smart people with a lot of good ideas, but you are so entrenched in your 'business processes' that you are constantly making your people resources go to waste.

"Mediocrity at it's best"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They've recently added a well-equipped on-site gym which has been excellent.
    Long-Term (LTI) bonues are great, assuming we as a company can meet our goals.

Cons

This place is bland. I mean, no sparkle of excitement anywhere. If you're content to just come in to work and leave with a paycheck then this place is great. Don't count on loving your job or getting excited to come to work. Recent lay-offs have also crushed morale.

Advice to Management

"Do more with less" only gets you so far. You're running your employees to the ground. You can't cut 7% of the workforce and then expect increased wafer output. Quit keeping secrets and become more transparent, nobody ever knows what's going on in upper management.