IM Flash Technologies Equipment Technician Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 7, 2018

Equipment Technician

Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance (at least shift work and as long as you don't mind 4 months of night shift at a time)" (in 25 reviews)

• "Competitive pay and benefits and a lot of opportunity for growth and development" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab" (in 8 reviews)

• "The Joint Venture partners do not appear to share the same vision" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Love it here"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician II in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician II in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, good people, and family-like atmosphere

Cons

Location of facility mainly friendly to families and can get very cold here.

"IM Flash Technologies"

Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IMFT persists at the cutting edge of semiconductor manufacturing technology and this provides ample excitement knowing that you are participating in the future of computing.

Cons

IMFT has consistently deployment multiple corporate culture programs such as TPM, 6S, Crucial Accountability, Speed of Trust, and IDEAS but it has failed to adhere on stated goals or principles outlined in these programs at multiple levels. This has lead confusion, frustration, and a general lack of direction in the fab. Protocols set forth by these programs are frequently re-interpreted or outright violated for the sake of convenience when they illumine the very issues they are designed to address.

IMFT has become lax in its approach to training and ensuring its technicians are ready to address the most complex issues manifesting in the newest generation of its selected manufacturing equipment. Back in 2006, the first hired technicians were given technical training out-of-state and it was received from the vendors. Fast forward to 2018 and the best that is being offered is spot training from new hires acquired from the equipment vendor companies. Couple this with metrics that inaccurately reflect shift readiness due to it being tied to grossly incomplete documentation and a sink or swim culture has resulted wherein certifications are often vacuous as a result of due dates being attached to tasks that have not or are rarely executed.

Advice to Management

Perform higher-level, thorough audits. Ensure that any deployed program is being properly implemented and adhered to so that those people doing the work can execute consistently to the deliverables.

Do not "spin" shift readiness for the sake of falsely "achieving" a goal. Readiness cannot, in isolation, be captured solely on the basis of being certified on documents that 1) do not and cannot realistically cover the bulk of repair scenarios and 2) cover tasks that have not actually been performed by the certifying individual.

"A Great Opportunity For The Select Few"

Former Employee - Shift Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is generally relaxed. The pay is decent, the work is not difficult.
    Company is willing to train technicians with no prior experience. The benefits are good, especially the 5% 401K match.

Cons

The system for advancement or promotion is very much flawed. The PRA form, (a brag sheet) that a technician needs to fill out for promotion, has not eliminated favoritism and politics that it was designed to accomplish. In addition, many experienced senior technicians were hired by the company at the Tech 2 level, instead of the Tech 3 level deserved. Recently, the company has had difficulty attracting new technicians, so they began hiring several ex-military with 8 years technical experience, but no fab equipment experience, at Tech 3 level. This is a great deal the for new hires, but the existing technicians hired at the Tech 2 level are restricted to a lower pay scale and must fill out the PRA form to be promoted. A better solution would have been to move the pay scales up, and compensate the existing workforce as necessary. In some cases, as in mine, it was easier to get another job than to be promoted.
    Promotions through completion of the PRA form vary. Depending your supervisor and area, the promotion can somewhat straightforward or elusive. If you are fortunate, your supervisor will have experience filling out the PRA form and be very instrumental in your promotion. If not, you will languish at your designated tech level for years, getting minimal raises, since the median of the pay scale is the ceiling.
    A lot of bureaucracy exists. A ticket system was implemented to assist with issues that an employee could not solve on his own or with his areas support group. Though a great concept, the ticket system is now being used by many people to create visibility to get others to do their jobs.
    Most technicians are a number, part of a head count. The humble technician that does his job, troubleshooting and repairing equipment without drawing attention to himself, will not be recognized.
    Process related skills, reading charts and using various software applications to research yield/product issues, seem to receive greater recognition than actual equipment troubleshooting skills. Ironically, the equipment technician is given very little training to learn the process related software applications, although they are expected to learn and use them.

Advice to Management

The PRA system needs to be revamped. Pay scales need to be shifted up so new, less experienced technicians are not hired at Tech 3, Senior Technician Equipment. For Equipment Technicians, process related software applications need to be taught in a tailored course for what is useful and necessary for related equipment maintenance, not at the Process Engineer level.

4. "Great pay, Great people"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at IMFT for a little over 7 months and I love the company. I have a great schedule (working either 3 or 4 12 hour shifts per week) I get along well with my co-workers, and I get paid well above the industry standard for someone at my skill level.

Cons

the only downside is the lack of application of TPM, which is a manufacturing philosophy which they teach, but do not apply as fully as I believe they should. However, they are working to make this better.

Feb 15, 2018 – Marketing and Communications

Thanks for your feedback on TPM, and we are working to enhance this at the site. We're glad you're liking it here!

"Shift equipment technician"

Former Employee - Shift Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean and quiet work environment, great team building activity’s and company perks like consents and party’s for everyone. I can’t think of anymore pros.

Cons

Poor management, low pay for skills, upper management doesn’t care about you. CEO has said everyone is replaceable and they don’t have to make you happy. They based compensation for the industry and higher people for other industries who are worth a lot more. A month after leaving I got a job paying double.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your compensation and people will preform better. Most people I worked with aren’t happy and they talked about it often.

"Leading The Industry"

Current Employee - Senior Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay, PTO Program, school compensation, promoting healthy lifestyle through onsite gym and activities, solid insurance plan

Cons

Chaotic with new technologies rolling through, employees need to slow down and make better choices, management stress causing unhealthy work environment, rotating shift schedule from nights to days, promotions are acquired by writing a book about how of a hotshot you are (should be reviewed and decided based on merit, not how well you can boast about how you are the greatest).

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are doing the best they can with what they have available. Encourage better decision making because bad decisions are the cause of how hard you push for results. Culture and values are diminishing due to how much pressure you put on your team members.

"Only come here if you truly hate yourself"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician (7 Years) in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician (7 Years) in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off Accrual Program

Cons

Every time I pull into the parking lot at work before start of shift, I'm hopeful that some crazy, disgruntled employee will take me out as I walk through the doors to go into the building so I won't have to endure another minute of the painful BS rhetoric.

Advice to Management

Stop over complicating things. Improve safety and moral by getting rid of the alternating shifts. Get rid of the PRAF, hire leaders with the experience and ability to use their core values to know their people and make promotions. If you can't find those people internally (there's your sign), start making the changes necessary to get those people in place! Stop using threatening statements and scenarios, "there's no such thing as ""honest mistakes"", only mistakes."

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

You've expressed some alarming concerns about your work experience here. It also sounds like you're having serious problems with your leadership. If you haven't already, we encourage you to talk... More

"Run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benifits are ok the pay is ok for Utah county

Cons

They laid off good people and they can claim all they want that the layoff was not aged based but facts are facts. When they let people go you were given a list that showed the ages of everyone in the plant and those that were being laid off the average age of older people sure showed a pattern of age dicrimination . The management only wants to hire and keep young people at the plant due to the fact that the younger people have more to lose than an older person. That way management can inflict their wills on the younger people cause they are afraid to question management's often silly reasoning. Don't plan on getting promoted past a certain tech or engineering level unless you are a part of the in circle in the department. Management places fear into people and have no regard for the employees. The way management approaches people,the attitude of management is do it because I said so. I actually had a Manger top level mind you . That told all his reports you are just lucky to even have jobs. That is the whole philosophy of management and it gets relays down to the supervisors. If management has it in for you they will do whatever they can to see you fail so they can get rid of you. In the 15 years I worked there I saw a lot of people fired cause a manager did not like them.

Advice to Management

Grow up and don't micromanage everthing that you Lord over

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear of your experience while you were at IM Flash. If the behavior of your manager was as you described, that's not in keeping with what we would expect to see at IM Flash. Thank you... More

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Equipment Technician
    Former Employee - Equipment Technician

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay & excellent benifits

Cons

Every 4 months you must switch to nights. The company leadership does not follow the preached values. They recently laid off veteran employees to cut costs. These were people who had given 10 or 15 years of hard work and dedication to the company, but were in the upper echelons of the pay scale. There promotion system is completely broken. Those who are promoted are not the hardest or most knowledgeable workers, but rather the ones who are in the boys club with upper management.

Advice to Management

Follow the company values. They are what made IM Flash great in the first place. Value your employee's as they are your biggest asset.

10. "Equipment Technician"

Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Pleasant Grove, UT
    Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Pleasant Grove, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and bonus alone is worth working for this company.

Cons

no communication between leadership and the techs on the floor.

Advice to Management

Listen to your experience Techs. They are the ones doing all the work and have the most experience.