IM Flash Technologies Manufacturing Technician Reviews | Glassdoor

Manufacturing Technician

3.1
Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great place to work with amazing work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Good pay if you get the opportunity to advance (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab (in 8 reviews)

• IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron (in 13 reviews)

1. "Nice, clean place to work, great hrs and a ton of time off. Many extras for employee benefits"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, cafe, gym, onsite Dr, and multiple clubs and activities to join outside of work. 3 possible bonuses a yr depending on company status . Everyone in general is nice to work with.

Cons

Company just did a re-org and taking time to adjust, could be better w/ training new hires and communications with other areas.

Advice to Management

Train new hires and areas in general about there tasks for the area and not to expect someone else to do there job. Cut dead weight.

"If you want to be a zombie this job may be for you"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Production) in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Production) in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, multiple benefits, most of the employees were enjoyable to work with.
    Learning something new / better ways of using the systems everyday.
    Very strong core values.
    Company parties were enjoyable.

Cons

Heavy work loads.
    Punished for things out of your control and having to explain things that happened multiple months prior to them speaking to you.
    Brutal hours (12 hour shifts) occasionally more if there were meetings. Requiring employees to come in on days off for meetings.
    Job did not work well with school. Would work a 12 hour day then attend school for another 3 hours after work.
    It did not seem like there were any opportunities without more schooling.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees they are the key to making your company a success.
    Open up more flexible schedules.

"Solid and Consistent"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lehi, UT

Pros

Salary is consistent and fair. If you can handle the 12 hour shifts it makes for very long weekends and an easy way to save quickly for long vacations. Once you get the job down, it keeps you busy and time does fly.

Cons

You always have "that one supervisor." I didn't have him, but a friend of mine did and it made life hard for him. Just go to the shift manager and ask for a new assignment with a new supervisor- it's not worth the stress of getting into it with a supervisor.

Advice to Management

Your supervisors control the turnover. When you have multiple people quitting in one division, it's worth looking into who they are all reporting directly to. I witnessed quite a bit of hemorrhaging in one area in particular.

"Usually great but still frustrating at times."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician II in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician II in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a semiconductor fab this is a very stable place to work. Plenty of smart people to work with and tons to learn. They have improved at recognizing employees.

Cons

Very stressful work environment. This is a highly competitive field and every miss or mistake is highlighted. Can be very difficult to get promoted within. Mistakes are often scrutinized, while going above and beyond is ignored.

Advice to Management

Need to improve recognition still as well as promoting within the company.

"Decent job for people new to the semiconductor industry. Experienced should look elsewhere."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Operator) in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Operator) in Lehi, UT

Pros

Health Center on-site. IM Flash does honestly care about the safety of their employees. All employees can recognize others via the R3 program (Max of $10 - Management approval for anything more). Good starting wage (only if you come from a Call-Center, Retail, or Grocery store. Experienced are altogether another matter)

Cons

IM Flash does very little for highly experienced individuals coming into the company (At least at the lower ranks). You start out at the very bottom with the proverbial "Dangling Carrot" to see how many hoops you can jump through. IMFT changes policies throughout the year to (conveniently) correspond to their annual reviews (ie: no pay increase). If you are sick, then you better come in to work and share it with everyone, because a doctors’ note excusing you means nothing (unless it's a heart transplant) and you'll end up being written up.

IM Flash goes out of their way to preach their values, which really are admirable, but there is little substance with regards to "Integrity" and "Commitment" when it comes down to implementation and listening to the employees who work in the Fab, especially the MT/MT2 level (aka: operators). There is a HUGE disconnect between management and the production floor. And I mean HUGE! "Profit for Performance" is highly askew at IM Flash: Fancy Powerpoint presentations trump hard work. I’ve worked in 6 other Semiconductor Wafer Fabs, and I’ve never worked with more rude and arrogant coworkers before, and the higher up the ladder you go, the worst it gets.

This is NOT a gay friendly company. Regardless of the experience and skills that their gay employees have or bring to the company, there is obviously nothing in their "values" to treat its gay employees as equal. IMFT has an underlying "air" about it that permeates the company at all levels. It is unsaid, but preferred, that an IMFT employee be: Religious, Republican, reflect conservative "Family Values", and promote conservative political beliefs into every nook and cranny of its culture, with little room for diversity. When it comes to advancement in the company, If you want to succeed and advance, then you better be heterosexual and married, go to church (a certain denomination of course), have at least one or more children, like sports, and go fishing or hunting with your coworkers or supervisor.

Micromanagement is king at IM Flash, with Leadership & support groups asking you the same exact questions multiple times a day via Instant Message, over and over again all throughout your shift, when they will not communicate between themselves... while literally sitting right next to each other.

When I left IM Flash, 50% of my earned vacation time was thrown away and was not paid out to me. Yes, you read that correctly. I have NEVER worked for a company that will only pay out HALF of your vacation pay upon leaving the company. These were earned & accrued hours, and not advanced hours. Just a heads-up for current Non-Exempt employees: If you plan on leaving, use ALL of your vacation hours beforehand or else you will "donate" half of them for the bottom line of the company.

If you are entering the semiconductor industry for the first time, then chances are, this would be a decent and/or good job for you. Individuals with over 10+ years of experience (I had over 25 years of experience when I started) then be prepared to start at the bottom and hope for the best and jump through the right hoops at the right time in front of the right people. There is NO negotiating with the starting wage, regardless of experience! The benefits continued to get worse while I worked there.

I had high hopes when I started with IM Flash, but IMFT is realistically just Micron Management with a lot of Intel money. Too bad they didn't inherit any of Intel's Total-Compensation (T-Comp) characteristics & policies, then it would have been worth sticking around for. I should know, I worked for Intel for 10 years.

Advice to Management

Incoming employees with multiple years of Semiconductor experience should be paid more than the wages of those whose only work experience is that of a Call-Center or Retail (ie: WalMart)

IM Flash Technologies Response

Dec 10, 2014 – Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at IM Flash, though we're sorry it was not as positive as it could have been. You brought up a lot of concerns in your review, and we... More

"great company to work for if you are going to school"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay for college
    health benefits
    3 to 4 day weeks
    vacation time

Cons

Micron ran
    Management do not have an understanding about their areas
    team members get little say in anything
    a lot of company politics
    Difficult to move up in this company if you are female unless you are married to someone in the company.
    Raises are none existent

Advice to Management

Listen to team members more.

"OK For Now"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good intial wage for area. I make more than I did at last job.
    Seemed like a good work schedule with a lot of time off for my part time job and family activities.

Cons

Hard system to figure out if you are doing wrong or right, how to advance, or what to do. Seems like I don't know the right people.
    Tough management style with no sympathy for life events. We feel like the last humans before robots take these jobs and are punished for having things come up in the meantime.
    People are written up for being sick and having car break down in the same month.
    Unfair treatment of employees, the bad trickles down to us but we have no control over most things. No matter what happens we have cutbacks and we are affected but the managers get their retirement match and keep their long term bonus which is $50-100k. Mine is a few hundred dollars.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with team members or you will see more and more of us leave and not know why. Maybe you don’t care, but we have new jobs to choose from lately in this area and don’t need to work nights and get micromanaged and PIPs from supervisors paid three times more than us to just organize a break and lunch schedule.
    Feel like there is a company lip service to make people feel good but the reality is much worse and most people in the fab are not happy.
    My friends girlfriend is in HR and she said that they made some fake posts on this website to make it look more positive because their boss said to at a meeting.

8. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good possibilities for Promotion and Education

Cons

Part of a volatile industry that fluxuates growth and decline rapidly