IM Flash Technologies Process Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Process Engineer

4.1
Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good culture, good people and work life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "Competitive pay and benefits and a lot of opportunity for growth and development" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab" (in 8 reviews)

• "The Joint Venture partners do not appear to share the same vision" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Process Integration Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Integration Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good culture, good people and work life balance

Cons

pay raise is slow and

2. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Challenging and interesting work. Good in house training. Opportunity for advancement and to do side projects and experiments if justified. Educational reimbursement. Performance monitoring is appropriate, and scheduling was reasonably flexible in my role.

Cons

Management can be tone deaf to needs of nigh shift workers..i.e. asking them to come in for meetings, etc during their sleeping hours.

Advice to Management

Allow process engineers and some other roles to telecommute a couple of days a week. You'll improve their quality of life, reduce traffic bottlenecks, and likely get more productivity if managed correctly.
    Do not ask someone working 4-12 hour night shifts in a row to come in for a 10am meeting and expect them not to fall asleep at the wheel

"Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. All the locals are out of there by 5pm on the dot, if not earlier. Location is stunning. Pay is pretty good. Good communication. Interesting work and product. Integration group is superb!

Cons

Lab is overwhelmed and lacks some state of art services that would be nice to have on site. Although there is a bonus to simulate stock purchase, the lack of ESPP plan is a great disappointment and the bonus is a pittance compare to what ESPP could have been the past several years. Now to the reason why I resigned in 2017 to my great relief and I've never looked back: After more than a decade at Intel, where I saw and experienced world class and top notch safety, ergonomics, quality, LEAN, rapid-fire problem solving, systems integration coordination and continuous improvement, it was a letdown from day 1 to be part of the hybridized culture of cowboy Micron with mostly lip service to Intel ways. It did not work for me and I suffered constant frustration trying to de-culture from the Intel way. Only those who have culturized at Intel since ~2008 and later can really empathize with me on this. It was a warped and bastardized version with recognizable aspects of correctness. There were honest attempts to get it together, but I never really saw significant materialization of a top-down structure to really fix and gel the culture for the above-named deficiencies. A likely prime case of "rule by committee," I suspect, since top management consists of co-CEOs, although Micron really rules. Although the product was very cool, I regretted my decision to jump from Intel to Flash (read "Micron") nearly from day 1. And I gave it an honest effort. I was born and raised in Utah and after living outside for my entire career (pretty much always working at leading edge R&D and manufacturing facilities), wanted to get back. It didn't work for me.

4. "Not Bad"

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Work/ Life balance
    Easy to standout among peers
    Good pay
    Most managers are good

Cons

Too relaxed and complacent with deadlines, expectations and goals. Allows people who are poor performers to get by.
    Tiered promotion scale hits a ceiling at certain levels.
    Company culture can encourage people to become complacent and lack motivation to push themselves.

Advice to Management

Push your employees and do not accept excuses and missed deadlines.

5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work, lots of hard problems to solve. My management is fairly hands off and I can usually prioritize to what I see needs priority. Not all management is like this however.

Cons

Documentation and training need improvement. A lot of upper level management is very political

"Cost Reductions and Looking for Interns"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary and benefits with a rewards program for healthy living. Recently opened a Gym and work out area. Yearly employee

Cons

Increasing pressure to speed up process transfers and development with a more intense focus on cutting costs. Recently let go long time employees that helped build company for cost reduction reasons.

Advice to Management

Cutting costs by letting go those who built the company does not build trust in your remaining employees.

"Engineer at IMFlash"

Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment where you will work with cutting edge technology. People are generally friendly and salaries are competitive

Cons

The company initially put a lot of effort into building a great work environment where you were proud to come to work and see the fruits of your labors. Due to recent upper management decisions, that work environment has gone to one where people only look out for number 1. I prefer a team oriented environment, and this sadly is no longer it

Advice to Management

Recent layoffs cut some great talent. This is unavoidable and even understandable. If I had been honest with myself, I should have seen this coming as the company was becoming middle management heavy. Many groups are just too big and meaningful projects are too few and far between.

8. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

Pros

IM Flash has a great focus on values, safety, and work/life balance. Compensation is pretty good and lots of opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Graveyard Shift was rough. Not for me. Thankfully only has 2 rotations before moving to a new schedule.

"Where careers go to die"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly people, interesting problems, cool technology. They have a great continuing education program onsite for people to brush up on a variety of topics. They also have a great continuing education program for MBAs.

Cons

Very ridged. Pay isn't merit based, but based on fairness. Too much red tape. It takes near executive level to get anything significant accomplished. Culture promotes a B player environment because of the rigidity and compensation inflexibility. The good people leave, no worries, the org is steadily backfilled with young and dumb college grads that are looking for their first job.

Advice to Management

Make the right decisions for the sake of the company not your career. I felt like too many decisions were political, based on future promotability. A lack of risk taking. This company is slow to adopt new technologies and doesn't enable it's engineers to succeed to their full potentials. Every manager should run their teams based on what they think is best. If they get burned doing what is right there are plenty of jobs out there willing to throw more money at those types of individuals who are willing to go against the grain for the greater good.

"IM Flash is a great company, however, I felt that my internship was at a bad time for the department I was with."

Former Intern - Process Engineering Intern in Lehi, UT
    Former Intern - Process Engineering Intern in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent people to work with and they really give you an opportunity to apply your education to come up with new ideas.
    A great atmosphere for continued learning.
    Competitive pay/benefits.
    Stable working environment.

Cons

Mentorship program for interns lacked direction and focus, which I believe in turn led to management being uninterested in my project.
    Working too hard can be seen negatively.
    Not the best environment if you like to work quietly and individually.

Advice to Management

Invest more time into your interns' success and learning, don't just leave it to the mentors.