IM Flash Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bert Blaha & David Cheffings

Pros
  • great place to work with amazing work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits, nice place to work (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a joint venture and is highly dependent on Intel and Micron (in 7 reviews)

• The joint venture is strained with each partner building their own product outside of Lehi (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing technology, smart people and wonderful products

Cons

Work life balance can be improved

Advice to Management

You are running a great company

"Run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benifits are ok the pay is ok for Utah county

Cons

They laid off good people and they can claim all they want that the layoff was not aged based but facts are facts. When they let people go you were given a list that showed the ages of everyone in the plant and those that were being laid off the average age of older people sure showed a pattern of age dicrimination . The management only wants to hire and keep young people at the plant due to the fact that the younger people have more to lose than an older person. That way management can inflict their wills on the younger people cause they are afraid to question management's often silly reasoning. Don't plan on getting promoted past a certain tech or engineering level unless you are a part of the in circle in the department. Management places fear into people and have no regard for the employees. The way management approaches people,the attitude of management is do it because I said so. I actually had a Manger top level mind you . That told all his reports you are just lucky to even have jobs. That is the whole philosophy of management and it gets relays down to the supervisors. If management has it in for you they will do whatever they can to see you fail so they can get rid of you. In the 15 years I worked there I saw a lot of people fired cause a manager did not like them.

Advice to Management

Grow up and don't micromanage everthing that you Lord over

"A Bunch of Micro Managers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

When I started it was exciting to work on leading edge technology and most of the people seem to be nice who were not in management. As time passed I started to realize that it was a facade. That in reality it was a sweat shop of oppression.

Cons

Management micromanages their people as if they are incapable of managing their own life and time. This is laughable because most of the employees are college educated engineers that have not achieved the level they are at without being able to take responsibility. What is more laughable is that the constant review to make sure everyone is working on site at least 40 hours is leading to less productivity because people get very good at looking busy and wasting time. This cultural behavior is brought on by the work environment with the open seating without any cube walls and the fact that you had to scan both into and out of the site creating a log of your time on site. This is in contrast to companies like Intel were the management just gives a lot of work a lets people manage their own time to get the projects done and you never scan to get out of the buildings.
    Example: The management chain I was in required that you be on site by 8 am and not leave earlier than 5 pm. If you were late or if you needed to leave early, say for a doctor’s appointment, you had to tell your manager beforehand for their approval and it could not be for more than 2 hours. If it was say 4 hours it was not acceptable for you to flex your time to accommodate, say come in early and leave early or stay late. Instead you were required to use you vacation time for the absence. So let’s say you worked 10 hours on Monday and 10 on Tuesday, those extra 4 hours did not count toward the absence on Wednesday.
    Another Example: I ask once if it would be ok if I left once per week at 4:45 on Thursday to transport one of my kids to an activity. My manager told me that this was not acceptable because someone could schedule a meeting from 4 to 5. The rest of the time I worked at IM Flash no one ever scheduled a meeting from 4 to 5 on Thursday. There was no work life balance or accommodation.
    The result of this policy was counterproductive. People would work the minimum or just above the 40 hours on average to make sure they would not have other issues but they would not work the long hours like other places because there was no benefit.
    Final example: HR said the management could not pull anyone persons time log but they got around this by pulling everyone in a group. I know for a fact that a co-worker was put on a performance improvement plan because one week they only have 39.5 hours logged to the site. What was not taken into count was the time he was working remotely from home because this time is not tracked. In reality he had close to 50 hours in. As part of the PIP he had to show his manager his time log for the next 3 months proving he was on site 40+ hours. This person quit the next year and found a better and higher paying job.
    These are only a few examples of life at IM Flash. Most people live and work in fear at IM Flash and because of this there are quick to throw people under the bus. Managers will take credit for work the people under them have done. If you question management of make any waves you will be drummed out. Do one of two things with IM Flash: save yourself the stress and choose another place to work, or work and plan your exit within 5 years to go to a place the values your experience and will not lord over you. Also bring head phones, it gets very noisy from all the people talking in the big open office.

Advice to Management

I have nothing nice to say to the management. la la la la la la la la la la la

"Bring you in with the benefits, keep you there because it's a job"

Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good.
    401k match 5%, HSA healthcare plan and other options available, Life insurance, Dental, vision.
    Night, weekend differential on hourly pay.
    I got a relocation package when I joined the company which was great coming out of college. They helped set me up with the whole process of buying my house.
    Two bonuses per year (depending on company performance)
    System for sending $10 gift cards to coworkers to show appreciation.
    3-4 days off per week

Cons

Rotating schedule every 4 months of days/nights.

Vacation and sick time are in one bank. If you somehow were never sick and didn't work a holiday or take triple time on the holiday, you would have 20 shifts off. 1 per month worked and then 6 recognized holidays.
    If you don't schedule your days off ahead of time then you get an occurrence for it. 5 occurrences per 6 month period. I earned my TOP time. If I have it, I should be able to use it whenever I want.

12 hour shifts are long and full of monotonous, boring work.
    3-4 shift per week, which means more days off in a row, but the job isn't worth it.
    No fulfillment to see results of the work you put in.

Moving up or around is very difficult. They use a system where you have to put in tons of hours of overtime to fill out a document full of a list of necessary tasks which will take a long time to achieve. The document is very vague, and requires things which you have to go out of your way to be able to even start on. Without that document completed, you cannot move up in your position. PRA (position readiness assessment)

They will higher new graduates (with engineering (specifically) degrees only) as engineers instead of the people who have worked there for years and know far more about the process than the new hires will in a year of working.

They'll bring you in with the benefits and it'll sound great to work at but it will fade within the first few months.

Advice to Management

Do away with the PRA promotion policy. There are much better ways to gauge whether someone is excelling in the job role. The PRA is demotivating for the amount of pay it'll increase compared to the amount of time needed to be put into it.

Practice what you preach and promote the people who have worked so hard for several years into the engineer positions instead of only new hires.

Make it so it's a permanent choice between days or nights. Some people want to work days and some want to work nights. Other semiconductor companies have that and are still successful.

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

Salary is above average for the area but on par for the semiconductor industry. They have good bonus program. Seem to be success oriented. Benefits are above average.

Manager seemed to genuinely care about career advancement and had a plan in place but once it was presented to a management level above that person the bureaucracy took over and rather than a common sense look at skills and progress it became an exercise in document formatting...so silly!

Co-workers were great!

Cons

Work environment is antiquated both in physical facilities and management style. *Extremely* rigid work schedule even for "first" shift. There is a "flextime" policy is in place but it isn't real. It isn't really flextime at all. It is laughable. It is M-F 8-5 or they really look down on you.

All workers have the same work space which is a tiny 2x6 plank "desk" in a very noisy and crowded bull-pen. There is no attempt to improve personal work space for those that need to focus and concentrate. Pretty bad.

PCs are antiquated and it is almost impossible to get an "upgrade". For a high tech company it seems odd that most of their equipment is from original inception (circa 2006)...they are a leading producer of SSDs and DRAM but use competitor's HDDs almost exclusively in their equipment and memory in the PCs...you're lucky to get 4GB...go figure that one out!

Parent companies are often at odds as to production priorities. Huh?

"Not perfect but definitely not a bad place to work..."

Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT

Pros

Good pay & benefits...great overall company to work for but can also depend on who your supervisor/manager is too.

Cons

poor management and disconnect between the people making decisions and the actual people affected by those decisions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees a little more...lots of time wasted due to bad procedures and useless meetings (not all meeting useless but a lot are..).

8. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - T1 Process Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - T1 Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid company communication through all team meetings. Great benefits, competitive pay. The team building program is excellent for boosting moral. Fun working environment. Working for a world leading technologies company is pretty cool too! The time off program is great and the three days on four days off four day on three days off is a plus. It's like a mini vacation when your on your four days off week.

Cons

Working the graveyard shift is tough but now you only have to do that every four months. Training is haphazard and needs to be thought out a bit more.

"Process Technician"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits are great. both health and paternity/maternity. The job also provides opportunities to work with exciting new technology. There is also a Gym and soon to be a personal trainer and dietitian on staff, as well as an onsite clinic.

Cons

hard work schedule (12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week). There is also mandatory rotation between nights and days for shift workers. All shift work requires work on ether Saturdays of Sundays.

Advice to Management

Provide better resources for advancement and provide better training. It is difficult to keep on top of work requirements and work on required training, much less finding time to work on advancement.

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work, lots of hard problems to solve. My management is fairly hands off and I can usually prioritize to what I see needs priority. Not all management is like this however.

Cons

Documentation and training need improvement. A lot of upper level management is very political

11. "Change Management Technician"

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Great co-workers willing to figure out problems, and work as a team. Diversity of team.

Cons

Advancement to Engineer level was difficult without the right degree.