IM Flash Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great place to work with amazing work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, good people, and family-like atmosphere (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron (in 13 reviews)

• hard work schedule (12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week) (in 7 reviews)

1. "General Description"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Cutting-edge semiconductor design and manufacturing

Cons

Lean teams but bright and responsive

2. "tech"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

great benefits, flexible, schedule is amazing.

Cons

none... that I can think of.

3. "Love it here"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician II in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician II in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, good people, and family-like atmosphere

Cons

Location of facility mainly friendly to families and can get very cold here.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Many people living the company values even when asked to do otherwise by management

Cons

I have decided to comment on the HR responses expressed here. While the responses to problems appear to be helpful on the surface, they cannot be trusted. It was my experience and almost everyone I worked with that went to HR with legitimate concerns about managers and supervisors it was like putting a nail in your coffin. HR acted as if they were truly concerned and would "look" into the situation. In my group of 8 members of a larger group each of us went to HR various times within a years time, all with the same complaints. HR did nothing except our managers began singling us out, attacking us in public settings and making work very miserable. The day I left the chest pains went away and my health improved. Do NOT believe that for 1 minute that HR is there to try to help with solutions to mistreatment, they just give mangers reason to make your work life a living hell.

5. "Dry Etch Technican"

Former Employee - Equiptment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Equiptment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great (not the pay). 401k match, medical and dental, etc.

Cons

A lot of work for little pay. Working on tools is not the only thing expected. TPM projects (require you to come in on your off time) you 3/12hr and 4/12 hour shifts. 3 day and 4 day weekends but 12 hour work days are not easy. Pay is terrible for technicians. If you have experience outside of semiconductor work, don't apply. You'll get hired on as a tech 2 and maybe even a tech 1 position. Tech promotion system is political (only speaking for dry etch section).

Advice to Management

Management does not listen to employees (maybe engineers) but not technicians.

"You'd better work for a good manager"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefit, good PTO, 401k match

Cons

worked with IMFT for around 2.5 years. I started with a great manager who truly cared about the team members' career development. However, everything changed since she left. The new manager is horrible.

First of all, he is double standard-ed. He is very tolerant with the LDS team members. For the excursions caused by LDS team members, he would find any excuses to help them not to own it. However, for non-LDS team members, even though we did not cause any excursion, he would make us feel guilty of the excursion. The timeline for the project would be greatly different for LDS team members and non-LDS team members.

He hates pregnant women. Once you told him you were pregnant, instead of reducing the work load, he would add more work load for you. I had to work overtime from 8am-8pm when I was 7-9 months pregnant. There were LDS team members in our team who had nothing to do every day, and the manager did not even want them to get busy, or helped me.

He did not care about team member's career development. He never tried to find an opportunity for you to get promoted.

The team goal he has is the opposite of what the team should be doing. He does not care about helping the fab improve the yield. he thought the real work that we were doing to help improve the fab yield was trash work.

There are lots of work load for team members who are not LDS, but LDS team members had nothing to do, except pretended to be busy and still got tons of recognitions from the upper level managers, as long as they did a tiny/small work.

The manager only cares about what he is interested in, not care about what you are interested in.

The manager did not appreciate the hard work we are doing, and he took it as granted.

The manager has very low EQ, and does not have any management skills at all.

There are more to be listed!!!

The last 6 months when i worked there, I was super unhappy and unwilling to go to work every morning, but I had no choice until I could find another job. The day I told them I quit, I had never been that relieved for such a long time. During the exit interview, I told the managers and the HR how I felt in the last few years, and I guess they would not really listen to what I said. The up-ward feedback to the manager was also useless. I entered the information, and my manager was still doing whatever he wanted. The manager was very opinionated and stubborn.

suggestion: if you are neither LDS nor friends with upper level managers, please do not join the company. there is no future for you to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Please train your managers so they have management skills, and some EQ. Just because you guys go to the same LDS church or share the same religious belief, does not mean that guy is or should be promoted as a manager.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. While Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, so we can’t reply to your particular scenario, our HR department thoroughly looks into feedback that comes... More

"Veteran trap"

Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Great people
    Benefits are good as well
    Whether you do the bare minimum or put in an honest days work you will be payed the same.
    Great job for former plumber, HVAC tech, or mechanic.
    Its just like re-enlisting, and the culture are very military influenced.

Cons

Dangerous work environment
    12 hour rotating shifts
    2 year binding contract (slavery with more steps)
    Engineers create jobs for technicians based off of 0 data
    Technicians will always be on shift, even if you advance to supervisor.
    Career progression is intimidating, Engineers often work 60 hour week salaried.
    Most of the good advanced technical jobs are outsourced other countries.
    currently in a state of economic treading water to bring new product out.
    You will rarely touch a multi-meter, you will clean acid off of "robots" mostly windows though. You will be in a white clean room suit and often a layer of rubber acid gear.
    Its just like re-enlisting, and the culture are very military influenced.

Advice to Management

Good luck, you guys are doing a good job. As for filling this position in the future, don't put people who want to work on tech in a job where you clean acid off of tools.

"IM Flash was driven and exciting until the Scientists took over. The current executives are very busy but distracted."

Current Employee - Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation/leave, paternity leave, 401k, on salary
    Most team members are approachable and fun to work with
    Utah mountains offer great outdoor recreation activities

Cons

Parking can be a 15 minute walk to the desk with insufficient handicapped spaces
    No cell coverage while on site
    Managers promoted based on internal politics and supervision skills while leadership skills are considered "nice to have" leaving the company with very little vision or unity
    Mandatory shift rotations can make it difficult to coordinate child care, pets, and life outside work
    Cost cutting examples used recently included head count reductions, mandatory vacations and layoffs
    The Joint Venture partners do not appear to share the same vision
    Micron trying to purchase a company (e.g., Inotera and Elpida, etc) usually turns into requests from Micron to IM Flash to cut cash resulting with IM Flash ending up with insufficient resources to hit goals

Advice to Management

Own the message and look forward.

"Hopefully You'll Get a Good Manager...Otherwise BEWARE!"

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    If you get a good manager, they'll protect you from the directors.

Cons

The Good 'ol Boy Culture that has turned IM Flash into Micron over the last 10 years.
    Couldn't care less about employees as people, especially if they're technicians.
    Good 'ol Boy managers hire unqualified people to be in mid-senior level positions due to knowing them from Micron.
    Sloganeering (Speak Out? Only when they agree with what you say.)

Advice to Management

Think outside of your management box. Listen to your eventual reports. Let your superstars rise to the top instead of holding them down. Stop promoting problems and not promoting people who deserve it. Respect your employees because without them there wouldn't be any progress to monitor.

"Great benefits, fun challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are hard to beat. I have taken over 2 weeks vacation to internationally every year since starting in addition to time off at other times. Compensation is fair. The people who work here feel like friends.

Cons

Like all places, your boss makes a big impact on your life. I have had both great and terrible managers.