IM Flash Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Bert Blaha and David Cheffings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great place to work with amazing work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Good pay if you get the opportunity to advance (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab (in 8 reviews)

• IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron (in 13 reviews)

1. "Manufacturing Associate"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. I enjoy the people and teams I've worked with of the past 7yrs.

Cons

Positions and titles change rapidly so advancing a career becomes challenging unless you have an engineering degree or higher.

Advice to Management

Restructuring the company at the rate technology changes (Moore's Law) doesn't benefit the moral of the workers. Technology may change every 18 months but positions and ranking of workers shouldn't alter at that same rate. The training is set up for 1-2years of work to progress yet the positions disappear before the training can be completed.

2. "Equipment Supervisor"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High pay, great benefits, 12 hr shifts, good location, stable business.

Cons

Stressful industry, tight profit margins drive lean manufacturing to it's limits.

Advice to Management

None, every area has challenges and most managers are doing the best they can to reduce them. Keep reassuring people that they are valued and not to stress out.

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - FAB TECHNICIAN in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - FAB TECHNICIAN in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay if you get the opportunity to advance. Benefits, medical, dental,401k match. Management can be good if you part of their good buddy club. Your co-workers, for the most part, are great people.

Cons

When you work for a terrible manager or supervisor your life is miserable. You have to write a book to get promoted. This place reminds me of the military because they have their own NKO training and many other things. The career path for technicians basically doesn't exist, except for those that are always hanging around with management. You stay a tech or you leave the company. They always talking about the company's core values, but the company itself does not follow them. Training doesn't exist for the job that you get hired to do. Your sleep gets so bad, you work 4 months during the day and then you switch to nights for 4 month

Advice to Management

Take care of your techs because they do a lot for this company. If you treat people like dirt, they will leave.

"Manufacturing engineering"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work-life balance, allow you great opportunities to get involved with your coworkers outside of work. management is dedicated and hardworking, providing endless support and guidance for growth potential.

Cons

Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab. undervalue careers outside of engineering. male dominated and 24/7 business

Advice to Management

technical skills are not the only education that are needed for success

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Great culture, centered on company values of teamwork, integrity, execution, and commitment. Cutting edge technology, amazing people.

Cons

Less focus on keeping company culture a "great place to work" while expanding the facility for 3DXP

"Shift equipment technician"

Former Employee - Shift Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Shift Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean and quiet work environment, great team building activity’s and company perks like consents and party’s for everyone. I can’t think of anymore pros.

Cons

Poor management, low pay for skills, upper management doesn’t care about you. CEO has said everyone is replaceable and they don’t have to make you happy. They based compensation for the industry and higher people for other industries who are worth a lot more. A month after leaving I got a job paying double.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your compensation and people will preform better. Most people I worked with aren’t happy and they talked about it often.

"Tech"

Former Employee - Tech in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Tech in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good if you get opportunity. Benefits(medical,dental,401k match). Management can be good if you get the right people. Your peers are for the most part good people. The CEO's seem like great people who are really doing their best to make the company succeed. Bottom line is if you are smart and like money/benefits over job satisfaction than this is the place for you!

Cons

If you work for a bad manager or supervisor your life will be hell. You have to write a novel to get promoted and even after you have every bullet accurately filled out it is still HEAVILY subject to opinions of management. Career path from YE tech is basically non-existant. You stay a tech or you leave the company. They talk heavily about the values of the company, but the company itself does not follow them(The people do though for the most part). If you are a tech your opinion is disregarded and you will command 0 respect from others(outside of your peers). As soon as you go salary your work life balance disappears; the engineers in YA work 50+ hours per week and this is just expected. The micron mentality is slowly creeping its way back into the company and its heading downhill because of it. Area management will have favorites who will get promotions/recognition who don't deserve them while snubbing those who do. Management heavily values a university degree over everything else including: experience, motivation, dedication, deductive reasoning, etc. We have hired many people into roles who are terrible employees but at least they have a degree!(Even though they had someone highly intelligent,motivated, with loads of experience applying as well).

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and they will invest in you. If you continue ignoring people who are highly motivated to succeed they will just leave and use their motivation at another company.

"Industry Training Grounds; High Turnover Rate"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compared to other semiconductor companies IMFT's total compensation package is probably slightly below average due the inability to offer stock RSUs as a benefit and the bonuses being meager compared to what the larger corporate parents offer (Intel, Micron). The atmosphere is decidedly more laid-back at IMFT than at the parent companies.

Co-CEOs Bert Blaha and Dave Cheffings are experienced and seasoned leaders who have been on the job for more than a year at this writing. Both have the unenviable background of plant closures/down-sizing, and the timing of their arrival was perceived with great concern since it immediately preceded IMFT's first layoff. Still waiting to see great things happen from them.

IMFT has flaws as all companies do. There is room for improvement - everywhere. If you are local this is a decent place to start a semiconductor industry career, and possibly even if you're moving from out of state. If you are continuing a semiconductor career from another company and expecting greatness, you may be disappointed with IMFT. If you want to set to world on fire look elsewhere; your flame will be extinguished here.

Cons

My negative comments are not motivated by anger, and less so by frustration, although I have a certain level of that. Mostly I am disappointed that IMFT leadership, at ALL LEVELS, is not living up to their stated goals and obvious potential. The old-timers here talk of how things were during the first five or six years and it was much better in their opinion. Now that may be stereotypical but I don't think it can be completely dismissed as just being a misconception based on filtered memories, even a dog knows the difference between being tripped over or a kick. From what I can figure, anyone who was in the semiconductor industry 20-30 years ago the changes have not always been good up to now. My opinion is that IMFT has drifted away from core principles that create and sustain a highly motivated, empowered workforce with esprit de corp.

- Low Pay Compared to Other Semiconductor Companies.

You can start here with 20 years industry experience and they will still low-ball you. Pay raises for Production Techs comes slowly, if at all. This contributes to technician high turnover.

- Low to Mid-level Management Lack Leadership Skills, Senior Management is Uninspiring.

Over-reactive decision-making sometimes leads to one size-fits-all disciplinary methods; do not expect individuals to always be held accountable for their actions, you may find yourself in the "collateral damage zone".

Stated priorities are not effectively promoted by management, nor lapses openly scrutinized and made readily available to facilitate open and frank discussion about failures causes, ideas for improvement, etc.

- Management Not Very Willing to Listen and Learn. (They might hear you, but its not getting through.)

Be careful how much you reveal about your personal life, beliefs, and - most of all - your opinion of how things could be improved at work to achieve the publically stated "values" and internal priorities. The latter is especially futile; they must think they are "world-class" at IMFT despite ample evidence that there is significant room for improvement on all fronts. Your experience-based opinion, however well-intentioned, will come back to haunt you; best to keep it to yourself.

- Poor Communication Methods.

Email frequently used as action communication. Therefore, although your job role may require you to be away from your computer for long periods, you may be expected to check your Inbox often.

Advice to Management

This engineer thinks we need to improve the professionalism of management at all levels, and that all management - especially senior management - should regularly set aside time to talk to their employees to get raw, unfiltered feedback.

"You'd better work for a good manager"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefit, good PTO, 401k match

Cons

worked with IMFT for around 2.5 years. I started with a great manager who truly cared about the team members' career development. However, everything changed since she left. The new manager is horrible.

First of all, he is double standard-ed. He is very tolerant with the LDS team members. For the excursions caused by LDS team members, he would find any excuses to help them not to own it. However, for non-LDS team members, even though we did not cause any excursion, he would make us feel guilty of the excursion. The timeline for the project would be greatly different for LDS team members and non-LDS team members.

He hates pregnant women. Once you told him you were pregnant, instead of reducing the work load, he would add more work load for you. I had to work overtime from 8am-8pm when I was 7-9 months pregnant. There were LDS team members in our team who had nothing to do every day, and the manager did not even want them to get busy, or helped me.

He did not care about team member's career development. He never tried to find an opportunity for you to get promoted.

The team goal he has is the opposite of what the team should be doing. He does not care about helping the fab improve the yield. he thought the real work that we were doing to help improve the fab yield was trash work.

There are lots of work load for team members who are not LDS, but LDS team members had nothing to do, except pretended to be busy and still got tons of recognitions from the upper level managers, as long as they did a tiny/small work.

The manager only cares about what he is interested in, not care about what you are interested in.

The manager did not appreciate the hard work we are doing, and he took it as granted.

The manager has very low EQ, and does not have any management skills at all.

There are more to be listed!!!

The last 6 months when i worked there, I was super unhappy and unwilling to go to work every morning, but I had no choice until I could find another job. The day I told them I quit, I had never been that relieved for such a long time. During the exit interview, I told the managers and the HR how I felt in the last few years, and I guess they would not really listen to what I said. The up-ward feedback to the manager was also useless. I entered the information, and my manager was still doing whatever he wanted. The manager was very opinionated and stubborn.

suggestion: if you are neither LDS nor friends with upper level managers, please do not join the company. there is no future for you to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Please train your managers so they have management skills, and some EQ. Just because you guys go to the same LDS church or share the same religious belief, does not mean that guy is or should be promoted as a manager.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. While Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, so we can’t reply to your particular scenario, our HR department thoroughly looks into feedback that comes... More

"IM Flash was driven and exciting until the Scientists took over. The current executives are very busy but distracted."

Current Employee - Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation/leave, paternity leave, 401k, on salary
    Most team members are approachable and fun to work with
    Utah mountains offer great outdoor recreation activities

Cons

Parking can be a 15 minute walk to the desk with insufficient handicapped spaces
    No cell coverage while on site
    Managers promoted based on internal politics and supervision skills while leadership skills are considered "nice to have" leaving the company with very little vision or unity
    Mandatory shift rotations can make it difficult to coordinate child care, pets, and life outside work
    Cost cutting examples used recently included head count reductions, mandatory vacations and layoffs
    The Joint Venture partners do not appear to share the same vision
    Micron trying to purchase a company (e.g., Inotera and Elpida, etc) usually turns into requests from Micron to IM Flash to cut cash resulting with IM Flash ending up with insufficient resources to hit goals

Advice to Management

Own the message and look forward.