IM Flash Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

IM Flash Technologies Reviews

Updated October 10, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good culture, good people and work life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "Competitive pay and benefits and a lot of opportunity for growth and development" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab" (in 8 reviews)

• "The Joint Venture partners do not appear to share the same vision" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Challenging and interesting work. Good in house training. Opportunity for advancement and to do side projects and experiments if justified. Educational reimbursement. Performance monitoring is appropriate, and scheduling was reasonably flexible in my role.

Cons

Management can be tone deaf to needs of nigh shift workers..i.e. asking them to come in for meetings, etc during their sleeping hours.

Advice to Management

Allow process engineers and some other roles to telecommute a couple of days a week. You'll improve their quality of life, reduce traffic bottlenecks, and likely get more productivity if managed correctly.
    Do not ask someone working 4-12 hour night shifts in a row to come in for a 10am meeting and expect them not to fall asleep at the wheel

2. "Great place overall"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Very generous paid time off. Great benefits

Cons

Difficult to move up in position.

"I don't see all the cons..."

Current Employee - Equipment Owner in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Owner in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot say that I have experienced most of the cons stated. My career at IM Flash has been what I have put into it. I work hard, I speak my mind, I hold myself and others accountable. As a result I have been fortunate enough to have managers and supervisors who have valued what I have to offer. I came to IMFT as a T3, but I do understand the frustration from some Technicians. Also, all of my projects have been to fix the things I complained about. So, OT wasn't an issue. I am blessed with an awesome work life balance and the company offers some pretty decent perks. I swear... I am not HR. Not everything has gone my way, I have been told "No" on more than one occasion. I think folks need to manage their expectations.

Cons

Again... not everything has gone my way. But my biggest issue is the technicians that cry wolf but spend nightshift watching youtube while tools sit red. The techs that signed on to do a job, THE job they got hired to do, the job they agreed to receive pay for doing, yet don't. Like... sitting at their desk refusing to go into the cleanroom because they hate gowning...yet are an equipment tech. So that's a real con. Because if I am doing your job... when do I have time to do my own?

Advice to Management

RIF or job re assignments. If a tech cannot perform the basic duties of a Tech and enjoy spending their time socializing... send them to the ROC.

"IM Flash Technologies"

Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IMFT persists at the cutting edge of semiconductor manufacturing technology and this provides ample excitement knowing that you are participating in the future of computing.

Cons

IMFT has consistently deployment multiple corporate culture programs such as TPM, 6S, Crucial Accountability, Speed of Trust, and IDEAS but it has failed to adhere on stated goals or principles outlined in these programs at multiple levels. This has lead confusion, frustration, and a general lack of direction in the fab. Protocols set forth by these programs are frequently re-interpreted or outright violated for the sake of convenience when they illumine the very issues they are designed to address.

IMFT has become lax in its approach to training and ensuring its technicians are ready to address the most complex issues manifesting in the newest generation of its selected manufacturing equipment. Back in 2006, the first hired technicians were given technical training out-of-state and it was received from the vendors. Fast forward to 2018 and the best that is being offered is spot training from new hires acquired from the equipment vendor companies. Couple this with metrics that inaccurately reflect shift readiness due to it being tied to grossly incomplete documentation and a sink or swim culture has resulted wherein certifications are often vacuous as a result of due dates being attached to tasks that have not or are rarely executed.

Advice to Management

Perform higher-level, thorough audits. Ensure that any deployed program is being properly implemented and adhered to so that those people doing the work can execute consistently to the deliverables.

Do not "spin" shift readiness for the sake of falsely "achieving" a goal. Readiness cannot, in isolation, be captured solely on the basis of being certified on documents that 1) do not and cannot realistically cover the bulk of repair scenarios and 2) cover tasks that have not actually been performed by the certifying individual.

"Finance Supervisor"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, great opportunities to develop, work life balance

Cons

Limited and slow career path. Chaos and uncertainty of joint venture. Finance doesn’t have the same clout as in other companies to drive strategy and decisions. Forced diversity. I was in a meeting where they were talking about a mentorship program, and the HR rep said everyone was eligible except white males.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities, and a better career path. Hire and promote based off of merit not race or gender.

6. "Excellent employeer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, career development, culture, core values, compensation

Cons

I cannot think of any at this time.

7. "Finance Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast environment, leading edge technology.

Cons

Supporting groups (outside of the Fab and engineering) don't allow for a lot of movement.

"A Great Opportunity For The Select Few"

Former Employee - Shift Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Shift Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is generally relaxed. The pay is decent, the work is not difficult.
    Company is willing to train technicians with no prior experience. The benefits are good, especially the 5% 401K match.

Cons

The system for advancement or promotion is very much flawed. The PRA form, (a brag sheet) that a technician needs to fill out for promotion, has not eliminated favoritism and politics that it was designed to accomplish. In addition, many experienced senior technicians were hired by the company at the Tech 2 level, instead of the Tech 3 level deserved. Recently, the company has had difficulty attracting new technicians, so they began hiring several ex-military with 8 years technical experience, but no fab equipment experience, at Tech 3 level. This is a great deal the for new hires, but the existing technicians hired at the Tech 2 level are restricted to a lower pay scale and must fill out the PRA form to be promoted. A better solution would have been to move the pay scales up, and compensate the existing workforce as necessary. In some cases, as in mine, it was easier to get another job than to be promoted.
    Promotions through completion of the PRA form vary. Depending your supervisor and area, the promotion can somewhat straightforward or elusive. If you are fortunate, your supervisor will have experience filling out the PRA form and be very instrumental in your promotion. If not, you will languish at your designated tech level for years, getting minimal raises, since the median of the pay scale is the ceiling.
    A lot of bureaucracy exists. A ticket system was implemented to assist with issues that an employee could not solve on his own or with his areas support group. Though a great concept, the ticket system is now being used by many people to create visibility to get others to do their jobs.
    Most technicians are a number, part of a head count. The humble technician that does his job, troubleshooting and repairing equipment without drawing attention to himself, will not be recognized.
    Process related skills, reading charts and using various software applications to research yield/product issues, seem to receive greater recognition than actual equipment troubleshooting skills. Ironically, the equipment technician is given very little training to learn the process related software applications, although they are expected to learn and use them.

Advice to Management

The PRA system needs to be revamped. Pay scales need to be shifted up so new, less experienced technicians are not hired at Tech 3, Senior Technician Equipment. For Equipment Technicians, process related software applications need to be taught in a tailored course for what is useful and necessary for related equipment maintenance, not at the Process Engineer level.

9. "Equipment Technician"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Upward mobility
    Work life balance (at least shift work and as long as you don't mind 4 months of night shift at a time)

Cons

Some high expectations
    Expected, but not expected, to do OT to finish projects on top of normal work requirements

10. "Exciting but Tough"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Talented team engineers who are a pleasure to work with. Highly supportive lower management

Cons

Upper management seems out of touch with day to day challenges and realities

Advice to Management

Trust your engineers and seek input from senior engineers before pushing folks in a new direction