IM Flash Technologies "intel and micron" Reviews | Glassdoor

IM Flash Technologies Employee Reviews about "intel and micron"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manufacturing engineering"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work-life balance, allow you great opportunities to get involved with your coworkers outside of work. management is dedicated and hardworking, providing endless support and guidance for growth potential.

Cons

Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab. undervalue careers outside of engineering. male dominated and 24/7 business

Advice to Management

technical skills are not the only education that are needed for success

2. "Basic Rating and Review"

Current Employee - Senior Electronics Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Electronics Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IM Flash is an innovative company that is on the forefront of non-volatile memory solutions.

Cons

IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron. As such, it is not publicly traded and does not have its own stock. IM Flash, like all companies in the memory sector, is subject to the stresses of supply and demand inherent to technology manufacturing.

3. "good company with core values focus"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Good place to work in. People are nice and there are core-values focus since start up. Good benefits in a not so expensive region compare to big cities like California and New York.

Cons

It is a joint venture and is highly dependent on Intel and Micron. Facing high competition from Asia due to culture differences and cheaper labor.

Advice to Management

This is still a manufacturing company where results are important to investors. Management have to go tighter else eventually Asian factories will prove better ROI.

4. "Solid Semiconductor company with growth potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the benefits - management works hard to make sure the benefits are 'better than the rest'. Solid programs in terms of time off, compensation, health insurance, etc. New High deductible plan is a Win-Win for company and employees.
    Challenging work makes each day different. Real problems to be solved, and the recognition program to reward those who are able to help fix/solve the problems.
    People - company is focused on bringing the right people into the company; so co-workers are strong performers, buying in to company values of Teamwork, Integrity, Commitment, and Execution

Cons

Semiconductor industry is a roller-coaster; which can lead to both highs and lows. As a Joint Venture between Intel and Micron, we have a tendency to feel the effects of the lows longer, and not as much of the highs (depending on how both of the parent companies perform). With co-CEOs, one from each parent company; there is a tendency to follow where the parents lead in terms of cutting in the bad times; which leads to morale challenges at times

Advice to Management

Use the political capital you have to stand up for what you feel IMFlash is doing right. Don't cave to intertia and being part of 'their' network.

5. "Great Company and Great Core Value"

Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is one of the most high tech companies to work in the world. Very challening and rewarding culture. Some of the brightest engineers I have worked with in the industry.

Cons

IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron and lacks the brand value as Intel or Micron. This is a very competitive industry so we have seen some ups and downs with the macro economic cycles.

Advice to Management

Company has a really cool HR manager. He has continued to make IM Flash a cool company to work for. Proud of upper level managers for thier accessibility and new initiatives focused on people. We are recently getting new CEO directly from Micron. I hope he embraces IM Flash core values

"Being the best at what we do is fulfilling and rewarding, we make the world mobile and smart!"

Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The quality of the people who work here, and the ability to achieve difficult goals working together has to be one of the top benefits of working for IM Flash. The work ethic is probably unmatched anywhere else. And the chance to be at the forefront of technology development makes every workday worth it. Plenty of recreation activities in the surrounding mountains, canyons, lakes, and parks make the off days fun and relaxing.

Cons

The company by international standards is very small, with less than 2,000 employees. This has limited the opportunities to grow in experience of the various areas of manufacturing and has somewhat restricted the potential knowledge that could be gained of the vast scope of semiconductor manufacturing. Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

Need more growth opportunities. One way to provide this is to allow more movement between departments. By understanding another area, I would be a better contributor to the companies overall success. Some team members are still in the same job they started in and I believe they stagnate without change.

"Good Company to work for but be prepared to work long hours."

Current Employee - Probe Test Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Probe Test Engineer in Lehi, UT

Pros

Good leadership in management. Very open and transparent company. We have an All Team Member Meeting which is a company wide meeting for all the employees once every 3 months. The CEOs of the company will update us about the current working and the future plan in this Company wide meeting. They are very frank about the state of the company and the direction in which we are going. Our management leaders understand our competition's strengths and our weaknesses. This is a company that is working constantly on ways to improve the efficiency.

* The compensation is top-notch.
    * The workplace is very open. Except for the CEOs everyone else has short walled cubicles that raise only a little above the computer table. There is a open door policy to talk to your supervisor/manager.
    * Very good team to work with. Everyone has a fresh perspective in my team and willing to listen to new ideas.
    * Cafeteria is reasonably sized with pizza, burgers and chinese/italian food. Lunch costs anywhere between 4-7 dollars.
    * Plenty of parking space for employees.

Cons

IM Flash Technologies is a manufacturing facility not a technology company. So there are some restrictions on the flexibility of working hours. The pressures of working in a fabrication plant will be apparent. We carry a pager with us at all times and we are on call 24/7. The probe group especially is a very stressful job. There are strict deadlines and everyone works 50+ hours/week on a less-stress week. The stressful weeks can end up taking as much as 70 hours.

Visitors (family members) are only allowed on the day we hold an Open House. My wife has never seen the inside of IMFT because we were out of town on the day the Open House was held.

IMFT is a joint venture by Intel and Micron. Though IMFT is trying to part ways from the Micron's work culture (which is one of the worst) it still has some of the residue from Micron such as expecting employees to work long hours and under staffed teams (we are trying to remedy the situation by hiring new ppl).

Advice to Management

Compensating for working long-hours to salaried employees can be very encouraging.

"Outstanding place to work, but with risks because of Joint Venture nature and failing Intel-Micron relationship."

Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT

Pros

Excellent management and people-centric approach to achieving outstanding results. Focuses on the critical few metrics for NAND fab manufacturing & excels at them. Respects employees and trust sthem to make the right choices.

Cons

Joint Venture between Intel and Micron is a marriage made in purgatory, neither heaven nor hell but contracted for 10 years! One parent company is an arrogant cash cow with unclear intentions & the other is a cash-starved low-cost memory maker with cowboy management. The two companies are competitors in the NAND marketplace and obviously aren't honest with one another in their joint management meetings, leading to failed strategic decision making for IM Flash. This is evidenced by the IM Flash Singapore fab...delayed at least 3 times, and then ultimately "put on ice" for 3 years and 800+ employees laid off.

Advice to Management

IM Flash management is outstanding, best I've seen in 12 years in semiconductors. Intel & Micron management need to heal their NAND relationship and work together to survive the extremely difficult NAND environment.