IM Flash Technologies "intel and micron" Reviews | Glassdoor

IM Flash Technologies Employee Reviews about "intel and micron"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manufacturing engineering"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work-life balance, allow you great opportunities to get involved with your coworkers outside of work. management is dedicated and hardworking, providing endless support and guidance for growth potential.

Cons

Partnership from Intel and Micron, meaning celing is limited to growth to this Fab. undervalue careers outside of engineering. male dominated and 24/7 business

Advice to Management

technical skills are not the only education that are needed for success

"Beware of Management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology to work on.
    State of the art facility.
    Generally good co-workers to work with.
    Exposure to Intel and Micron.
    Good city and state to work in.
    Decent pay and benefits.
    Safety; Managers is really good at standing at the bottom and top of the stairs to make sure you are holding on to the handles when walking up/down the stairs (seriously, this is not a joke).

Cons

Knowing what I know now, I would not have chosen to work here for these reasons:

There is absolutely no lack of accountability on management. They do not exist on the same level as everyone else. What they say and decide upon is not to be challenged nor questioned, regardless of what the data may say. From one of my personal experience, I had a discussion with my manager on a risk vs reward decision and he agreed on the decision we made together. Then his manager found out about the decision and needless to say, my manager did not hesitate to throw me under the bus in my next one on one. Another experience: the last all hands on deck meeting we had, someone asked if the lay-offs impacting the parent companies would affect IMFlash. CEO says absolutely not, we're already running lean. 2 months go by and they "had" to cut several hundred workers because of the parent companies' condition.

Opinions, suggestions for improvements, and such things can only come top-down. There is no bottom-up flow of communication. There are surveys and such things but rest assured, nothing you say or vote for will really matter.

There is also a lack of career mobility. There is definitely a sense of your work and merit doesn't really matter when it comes to career progression because it really is all about how good your relationship is with the men on the edge cubicles.

There may be other groups in the company who were not like the group I was stuck in so really do your research and if you can, get the inside scoop on the team you're looking to join.

Another regret I have before leaving the company was how much time-off I had I could not use because I thought I was being a good employee by not using my time-off when I didn't really need to. It was seriously stupid of me to not use my time-off for my child's birth because of a fab emergency. I should have never listened to my manager's request for help, it was not more important (except for him) and I was repaid with a one on one where I was told my performance was lacking 2 weeks later.

Last thing, much like other reviews of the company, culture and values are all talk and if nothing else, they only apply to normal employees and not management.

Advice to Management

Not applicable. Management would not listen to internal suggestions, I am not stupid enough to think they would listen to opinions/suggestions coming from outside of the company.

3. "Basic Rating and Review"

Current Employee - Senior Electronics Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Electronics Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IM Flash is an innovative company that is on the forefront of non-volatile memory solutions.

Cons

IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron. As such, it is not publicly traded and does not have its own stock. IM Flash, like all companies in the memory sector, is subject to the stresses of supply and demand inherent to technology manufacturing.

4. "good company with core values focus"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Good place to work in. People are nice and there are core-values focus since start up. Good benefits in a not so expensive region compare to big cities like California and New York.

Cons

It is a joint venture and is highly dependent on Intel and Micron. Facing high competition from Asia due to culture differences and cheaper labor.

Advice to Management

This is still a manufacturing company where results are important to investors. Management have to go tighter else eventually Asian factories will prove better ROI.

"Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Cedar Hills, UT
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Cedar Hills, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IM Flash is a great place to work where work life balance is optimal. The company has a good mix of Intel and Micron influences, making it a great place to work.

Cons

The only con to working at IM Flash is that it is a semiconductor company and employees may become niche, making it difficult to find employment outside the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep being open to employees and help develop managers that are true managers, not just good individual contributors. There is a difference and promoting leaders as managers will render higher dividends compared to the contrary.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Sep 28, 2015 – Marketing and Communications

Thanks for the review and your comments!

6. "Solid Semiconductor company with growth potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the benefits - management works hard to make sure the benefits are 'better than the rest'. Solid programs in terms of time off, compensation, health insurance, etc. New High deductible plan is a Win-Win for company and employees.
    Challenging work makes each day different. Real problems to be solved, and the recognition program to reward those who are able to help fix/solve the problems.
    People - company is focused on bringing the right people into the company; so co-workers are strong performers, buying in to company values of Teamwork, Integrity, Commitment, and Execution

Cons

Semiconductor industry is a roller-coaster; which can lead to both highs and lows. As a Joint Venture between Intel and Micron, we have a tendency to feel the effects of the lows longer, and not as much of the highs (depending on how both of the parent companies perform). With co-CEOs, one from each parent company; there is a tendency to follow where the parents lead in terms of cutting in the bad times; which leads to morale challenges at times

Advice to Management

Use the political capital you have to stand up for what you feel IMFlash is doing right. Don't cave to intertia and being part of 'their' network.

7. "Great Company and Great Core Value"

Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is one of the most high tech companies to work in the world. Very challening and rewarding culture. Some of the brightest engineers I have worked with in the industry.

Cons

IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron and lacks the brand value as Intel or Micron. This is a very competitive industry so we have seen some ups and downs with the macro economic cycles.

Advice to Management

Company has a really cool HR manager. He has continued to make IM Flash a cool company to work for. Proud of upper level managers for thier accessibility and new initiatives focused on people. We are recently getting new CEO directly from Micron. I hope he embraces IM Flash core values

"I am very happy here (and it seems like everyone else is too)."

Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an awesome company. I accepted this job right out of college and couldn't be happier with my decision. The people at work are very easy to get along with because of how the company hires. It hires only people that fit the values based culture (which is a big part of the company). It was very easy to make friends with coworkers here. I am well compensated for my time (better per hour than friends who went to top petroleum/chemical companies). We are showered with time off. I enjoy being at work.

The company is also very stable with Intel and Micron backing it. They bring both the need to change and adapt but also the stability and advancement of Intel.

Cons

This is a faster paced environment with a lot of changes in technology. If you are looking for a company where you can settle down and not do much, this is probably not the best for you. If you are into learning and growing with technology this could be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

If there were anything to say I would say it but you are already doing great in always taking the pulse of the company and driving improvement.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014 – Marketing and Communications

We're glad you're enjoying your time at IM Flash! Thanks for the review.

"Exciting high tech company with competitive pay and benes"

Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation time is excellent. Start by accruing 11.5 hours per month and get up to 15 hours after 7 years. Bonuses are based on company performance so everyone contributes to the results. Being a joint venture of parent companies Intel and Micron guarantee a high tech atmosphere and the corporate support of both parents.

Cons

Micron is the dominant partner for employee relations. Although very successful as a technology developer and executing latest products to market, Micron's employee programs are always in a state of flux and company developed software for internal applications is tough to deal with. Opportunities for employment at Intel don't exist and opps for Micron are very limited.

Advice to Management

IMFT compensation is great, don't let Micron mess with it. A few real employee perks will make IMFT a very desirable company in the area. The new gym will be great.

"Being the best at what we do is fulfilling and rewarding, we make the world mobile and smart!"

Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The quality of the people who work here, and the ability to achieve difficult goals working together has to be one of the top benefits of working for IM Flash. The work ethic is probably unmatched anywhere else. And the chance to be at the forefront of technology development makes every workday worth it. Plenty of recreation activities in the surrounding mountains, canyons, lakes, and parks make the off days fun and relaxing.

Cons

The company by international standards is very small, with less than 2,000 employees. This has limited the opportunities to grow in experience of the various areas of manufacturing and has somewhat restricted the potential knowledge that could be gained of the vast scope of semiconductor manufacturing. Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

Need more growth opportunities. One way to provide this is to allow more movement between departments. By understanding another area, I would be a better contributor to the companies overall success. Some team members are still in the same job they started in and I believe they stagnate without change.