IM Flash Technologies "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

IM Flash Technologies Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Bunch of Micro Managers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

When I started it was exciting to work on leading edge technology and most of the people seem to be nice who were not in management. As time passed I started to realize that it was a facade. That in reality it was a sweat shop of oppression.

Cons

Management micromanages their people as if they are incapable of managing their own life and time. This is laughable because most of the employees are college educated engineers that have not achieved the level they are at without being able to take responsibility. What is more laughable is that the constant review to make sure everyone is working on site at least 40 hours is leading to less productivity because people get very good at looking busy and wasting time. This cultural behavior is brought on by the work environment with the open seating without any cube walls and the fact that you had to scan both into and out of the site creating a log of your time on site. This is in contrast to companies like Intel were the management just gives a lot of work a lets people manage their own time to get the projects done and you never scan to get out of the buildings.
    Example: The management chain I was in required that you be on site by 8 am and not leave earlier than 5 pm. If you were late or if you needed to leave early, say for a doctor’s appointment, you had to tell your manager beforehand for their approval and it could not be for more than 2 hours. If it was say 4 hours it was not acceptable for you to flex your time to accommodate, say come in early and leave early or stay late. Instead you were required to use you vacation time for the absence. So let’s say you worked 10 hours on Monday and 10 on Tuesday, those extra 4 hours did not count toward the absence on Wednesday.
    Another Example: I ask once if it would be ok if I left once per week at 4:45 on Thursday to transport one of my kids to an activity. My manager told me that this was not acceptable because someone could schedule a meeting from 4 to 5. The rest of the time I worked at IM Flash no one ever scheduled a meeting from 4 to 5 on Thursday. There was no work life balance or accommodation.
    The result of this policy was counterproductive. People would work the minimum or just above the 40 hours on average to make sure they would not have other issues but they would not work the long hours like other places because there was no benefit.
    Final example: HR said the management could not pull anyone persons time log but they got around this by pulling everyone in a group. I know for a fact that a co-worker was put on a performance improvement plan because one week they only have 39.5 hours logged to the site. What was not taken into count was the time he was working remotely from home because this time is not tracked. In reality he had close to 50 hours in. As part of the PIP he had to show his manager his time log for the next 3 months proving he was on site 40+ hours. This person quit the next year and found a better and higher paying job.
    These are only a few examples of life at IM Flash. Most people live and work in fear at IM Flash and because of this there are quick to throw people under the bus. Managers will take credit for work the people under them have done. If you question management of make any waves you will be drummed out. Do one of two things with IM Flash: save yourself the stress and choose another place to work, or work and plan your exit within 5 years to go to a place the values your experience and will not lord over you. Also bring head phones, it gets very noisy from all the people talking in the big open office.

Advice to Management

I have nothing nice to say to the management. la la la la la la la la la la la

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time at IM Flash. We have forwarded your comments to HR and to Fab leadership for consideration.

2. "Interesting Company Great People"

Pros

Great work environment everyone was is very knowledgeable and eager to help. Huge culture of safety which made it a great environment to work. Great relocation bonuses

Cons

Often times long hours that are very intense. Location at times, while beautiful, can be a drag to drive out to

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing, creating dialogue and moving great ideas forward. Nothing else to add to this really

3. "Excellent Employer"

Pros

Excellent place to work. Very well ran company.

Cons

There could be some long hours.

"Long-time company employee"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Good initial pay; good bonuses, holiday pay, and night shift differential; on-site gym facilities; good workplace safety culture; great employee base; fantastic location to live; great benefits.

Cons

Lackluster career ladder with stagnant future pay-scale growth; long hours and being on call 24/7; no over-time pay options for engineers; high-stress work environment; difficult and cumbersome promotion process; difficult becoming management track; sporadic and undependable annual pay raises.

Advice to Management

Seeking to have world-class technology/cost/output/safety/profits, etc. while requiring well-above average work hours on average pay is an unsustainable long-term business model.

5. "Overall Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Face paced work environment, good people to work with, good bonus system

Cons

rotating shifts, long hours, good old boys network for promotions into management

Advice to Management

Promotions should not be based on the number of hours worked, but what the individual can contribute to the company

"Had a rocky start, getting better."

Former Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is highly engaged to create the best career opportunities for everyone while trying to remove roadblocks for people trying to get their work done.
    Great vacation.
    Decent pay.
    Good flexibility.

Cons

Long hours and a lot of flexibility required on the employee side.

Advice to Management

Culture is moving in the right direction! Keep it up!
    On the other hand, the safety department was always deficient in their planning and implementation. When adding to the fab, IE. new tools or additional space, it's best to get people from all perspectives involved in the planning. Technicians and engineers that will work on or around that equipment will bring a unique perspective that can't be overlooked.

"Not what I signed up for. Now my family and I are stuck!"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moved here based on cutting edge technology and claim to promote from within.
    Utah area is nice for families and outdoor activities.
    Teamwork and schedule are attractive.

Cons

My family hates it here, as do some other people's that have moved here from other areas. My kids are persecuted and bullied due to not being mormon. I asked HR about this and they said, "there are many private schools around here". Yes, but those cost a lot of money and I can't afford it. My wife already had to take a job and we use her health care because the IM Flash plan is terrible. I would have not moved here if I would have known how this community is. The company should be more honest before making us sign a two year agreement to repay all of our moving costs and now we are stuck. My family is in tears some times to move away but I can't afford it and it makes me unhappy.
    The company pushes accountability down to the shift level. We work long hours, mandatory overtime, miss breaks, and cut corners to keep tools up, but we get hammered when company goals are not met. We are sick of being blamed for everything, and not having benefits to take care of our families in an area we don't like and now can't leave. I thought the 13th ammendment prohibited this?

Advice to Management

Listen to your shift management teams. Many of them now won't bring things up because they don't want to rock the boat. They are in a pinch between the fab people and their bosses.
    Don't hire techs and tell them there are opportunities to promote from within when that never happens. Last two section manager jobs were Micron people. Techs don't develop into anything.
    We only see managers at team member meetings. What do you do? Do you approve of what is happening in the fab?
    I have to work overtime on sundays but the mormons on my shift never do. Why is their time more important than mine?
    There is a high level of secrecy at this company. The values journey is now a dog and pony show that shift people joke about when a teammate has to go. The value of this is now worthless and just takes away from productivity. It is always clear that things are always going on that affect the team that we get informed about after the fact. Several team members are upset that MBA tuition assistance is being pulled. Many worked here due to benefits that aren't given and now are stuck here.

"Not What Was Advertised When I Was Hired. Workforce Reductions Are In Place"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork environment while working with your shift team is a plus.
    Ability to learn a lot to get experience right out of school for your resume is good.
    Ability to learn what not to do if you're ever in management is always on display. I have learned a lot of things that will make me a good leader in other jobs from my time spent here.

Cons

Good ol boy system and management promotions arranged in advance.
    Lack of ability from any engineering manager (PE, PI, QE) to steer their teams to high levels of productivity other than working harder and doing more is not communicated. All three of these guys are promoted about two levels above their talent and now decide the company's fate. They are unable to challenge their teams to address issues because they don't know how themselves and now are creating a fear culture where you need to work long hours and not be on your department's low performer list to be let go.
    When we first were recruited here, IM Flash was one of the only employers like this in the area. Utah's economy has grown so now many of us have realized that there are many opportunities to still live in Utah and have a decent paying engineering job outside of IMFT.

Advice to Management

What's the point? Management at this company always has the solution.
    I have been in focus teams where we have multiple areas collaborating to work out an issue over a long time period, only to present this to the engineering managers and have the PI manager just give us a different answer on the spot during our presentation. When we ask for specific feedback we only get that we need to do more and work harder. Well, we already work hard and want to do more and could use some direction.
    We just had a party to reward everyone for 80 series execution, and then the next week were called in and yelled at for not being as good as the fabs in Singapore, and asked to provide data why we weren't executing?
    HR has a target for a 10% workforce reduction this year and we are only at 7%. There is a program to "performance manage" more people and everyone in their department has been ranked on a list. There is a running joke in my department to stay off the low end of this list.
    When we were recruited we were sold on a company that promoted from within. Lately most promotions were obviously decided in advance or not even posted. This is discouraging for those of us that wanted to move up in the company.
    My advice to upper management is to stop these types of issues that show a lack of integrity.

9. "Good benefits"

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

The base pay is pretty good.

Cons

Depends on the shift. But very long hours. Slow promotion rate.

Advice to Management

None

"Good Company to work for but be prepared to work long hours."

Current Employee - Probe Test Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Probe Test Engineer in Lehi, UT

Pros

Good leadership in management. Very open and transparent company. We have an All Team Member Meeting which is a company wide meeting for all the employees once every 3 months. The CEOs of the company will update us about the current working and the future plan in this Company wide meeting. They are very frank about the state of the company and the direction in which we are going. Our management leaders understand our competition's strengths and our weaknesses. This is a company that is working constantly on ways to improve the efficiency.

* The compensation is top-notch.
    * The workplace is very open. Except for the CEOs everyone else has short walled cubicles that raise only a little above the computer table. There is a open door policy to talk to your supervisor/manager.
    * Very good team to work with. Everyone has a fresh perspective in my team and willing to listen to new ideas.
    * Cafeteria is reasonably sized with pizza, burgers and chinese/italian food. Lunch costs anywhere between 4-7 dollars.
    * Plenty of parking space for employees.

Cons

IM Flash Technologies is a manufacturing facility not a technology company. So there are some restrictions on the flexibility of working hours. The pressures of working in a fabrication plant will be apparent. We carry a pager with us at all times and we are on call 24/7. The probe group especially is a very stressful job. There are strict deadlines and everyone works 50+ hours/week on a less-stress week. The stressful weeks can end up taking as much as 70 hours.

Visitors (family members) are only allowed on the day we hold an Open House. My wife has never seen the inside of IMFT because we were out of town on the day the Open House was held.

IMFT is a joint venture by Intel and Micron. Though IMFT is trying to part ways from the Micron's work culture (which is one of the worst) it still has some of the residue from Micron such as expecting employees to work long hours and under staffed teams (we are trying to remedy the situation by hiring new ppl).

Advice to Management

Compensating for working long-hours to salaried employees can be very encouraging.