IM Flash Technologies "parent companies" Reviews | Glassdoor

IM Flash Technologies Employee Reviews about "parent companies"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lot's of potential, but mostly falls short"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For the most part the people that work here are great. Everyone has the best intentions and I have rarely seen any conflict. There is none of that petty stuff going on here.

Cons

The work isn’t exactly exciting, or interesting, or challenging. There is a single organization on site where all the glorious stuff goes, and it’s made up of non-IMFT employees. The rest of us get relegated to the doldrums. If you like monotonous and easy work, looking at charts, reading emails, and reporting (a lot) this is a great opportunity. The pay is impressive for the mind-numbing work. But if you expect any engagement on your growth as an employee, or to be pushed to your best, you’re probably going to come up wanting.
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of things working against this company right now. The organization here is a complete mess. There are a ton of people here who are trying to do a good work, but there are so many different people working on the same things, so much confusion, and so many management layers, that it has become near impossible to get anything done. On as average day I probably spend 50% of my time just trying to figure out who is working on what and what I should be working on, another 30% just trying to read a ridiculous amount of emails, and maybe, if I’m lucky 20% of my time goes to actually getting something done, assuming I haven’t found that someone else has done it already, since no one in management talks to each other. I’ve never worked at a company that seems so determined to work against itself and its own success.
    One or two things wrong with a company are acceptable and can be worked with, but on top of all this the future of this company is now completely uncertain. The parent companies are splitting up and this place is caught in the middle. The doors could be closed on this place next year for all we know. They’re trying to entice people to stay, but with that kind of uncertainty, it’s hard to stick around. It’s clear there is no safety here anymore.
    Bottom line, if you want a job where you get paid well, don’t have to accomplish much, and don’t mind not knowing if your job is going to end at any time, this is a great place. If you want to do great things, grow and be your best, and make an actual difference at your workplace, I would probably look for something else.

"Process Owner"

Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Onsite health clinic, onsite gym, 5% 401k matching, HSA contribution.

Cons

Conflicting priorities between parent companies leads to systematic breakdown in communication and lack of direction. No idea what the priorities are and they change constantly. Work with multiple teams with separate objectives and no one has any idea what to prioritize or why. Projects get delayed because teams can’t organize the people they need because they’re split between ten other projects.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with what’s happening with the direction of the company. Communicate line of sight better. Managers need to understand the engineering work better and also should be able to explain to the engineers what they are working on and why. Shouldn’t have to report to separate managers and waste time providing updates in meetings because managers don’t know how to do their job effectively.

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

Salary is above average for the area but on par for the semiconductor industry. They have good bonus program. Seem to be success oriented. Benefits are above average.

Manager seemed to genuinely care about career advancement and had a plan in place but once it was presented to a management level above that person the bureaucracy took over and rather than a common sense look at skills and progress it became an exercise in document formatting...so silly!

Co-workers were great!

Cons

Work environment is antiquated both in physical facilities and management style. *Extremely* rigid work schedule even for "first" shift. There is a "flextime" policy is in place but it isn't real. It isn't really flextime at all. It is laughable. It is M-F 8-5 or they really look down on you.

All workers have the same work space which is a tiny 2x6 plank "desk" in a very noisy and crowded bull-pen. There is no attempt to improve personal work space for those that need to focus and concentrate. Pretty bad.

PCs are antiquated and it is almost impossible to get an "upgrade". For a high tech company it seems odd that most of their equipment is from original inception (circa 2006)...they are a leading producer of SSDs and DRAM but use competitor's HDDs almost exclusively in their equipment and memory in the PCs...you're lucky to get 4GB...go figure that one out!

Parent companies are often at odds as to production priorities. Huh?

"Beware of Management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology to work on.
    State of the art facility.
    Generally good co-workers to work with.
    Exposure to Intel and Micron.
    Good city and state to work in.
    Decent pay and benefits.
    Safety; Managers is really good at standing at the bottom and top of the stairs to make sure you are holding on to the handles when walking up/down the stairs (seriously, this is not a joke).

Cons

Knowing what I know now, I would not have chosen to work here for these reasons:

There is absolutely no lack of accountability on management. They do not exist on the same level as everyone else. What they say and decide upon is not to be challenged nor questioned, regardless of what the data may say. From one of my personal experience, I had a discussion with my manager on a risk vs reward decision and he agreed on the decision we made together. Then his manager found out about the decision and needless to say, my manager did not hesitate to throw me under the bus in my next one on one. Another experience: the last all hands on deck meeting we had, someone asked if the lay-offs impacting the parent companies would affect IMFlash. CEO says absolutely not, we're already running lean. 2 months go by and they "had" to cut several hundred workers because of the parent companies' condition.

Opinions, suggestions for improvements, and such things can only come top-down. There is no bottom-up flow of communication. There are surveys and such things but rest assured, nothing you say or vote for will really matter.

There is also a lack of career mobility. There is definitely a sense of your work and merit doesn't really matter when it comes to career progression because it really is all about how good your relationship is with the men on the edge cubicles.

There may be other groups in the company who were not like the group I was stuck in so really do your research and if you can, get the inside scoop on the team you're looking to join.

Another regret I have before leaving the company was how much time-off I had I could not use because I thought I was being a good employee by not using my time-off when I didn't really need to. It was seriously stupid of me to not use my time-off for my child's birth because of a fab emergency. I should have never listened to my manager's request for help, it was not more important (except for him) and I was repaid with a one on one where I was told my performance was lacking 2 weeks later.

Last thing, much like other reviews of the company, culture and values are all talk and if nothing else, they only apply to normal employees and not management.

Advice to Management

Not applicable. Management would not listen to internal suggestions, I am not stupid enough to think they would listen to opinions/suggestions coming from outside of the company.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Some great people to work with.
    Good location / area to live in.

Cons

Too many policies and plans that don't make sense are handed down by upper-level management / parent companies, and there is no room for discussion even if most of the employees disagree.
    Micron in-house software is usually a pain in the neck.
    Lots of people still think of IM Flash as "the old Micron building."

Advice to Management

You should really demonstrate your own values (Integrity, Commitment, Execution, and Teamwork) in how you treat your employees. Rather than lay off a bunch of highly competent employees to save a few bucks / do what the parents ask, you should cut back on bonuses (starting with your own). The management team should be the first in shouldering the burden of bad decisions and less-than-ideal results. Laying off great employees and then turning around and trying to hire new people is a huge smack in the face.
    You have a lot of smart people with a lot of good ideas, but you are so entrenched in your 'business processes' that you are constantly making your people resources go to waste.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Competitive compensation for the area. Good benefits package including medical, dental, vision, various insurance options, 401k, and bonus programs. Plenty of employee extras such as wellness programs, gym, recognition program, company events, etc.

Cons

Bonus programs are not a substitute for stock options programs offered by both parent companies. As a JV, promotional opportunities are limited by comparison to parent companies and/or larger competitors in the industry. Cyclical industry with severe economic swings possible.

Advice to Management

Recent moves toward something closer to a meritocracy are interesting, but are likely to be underwhelming for employees if advancement opportunities are not sorted out as well. I believe turnover rates are highlighting this issue already.

"Great place to work - Shift engineering supervisor."

Current Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good potential for advancement here if you are willing to work for it.
    Time off provided for shift workers is excellent and allows for long 2-3 week vacations at times.
    Company Values truly are important to the leadership team.
    Good benefits and bonus structure.
    Technology world leader in what we do.
    Large amount of future growth on site and investment in Lehi fab leads to better than normal job stability (as much as you can have in the semiconductor field).
    Inline promotion structure leads to a good raise (~10%) with little change in job responsibilities.

Cons

JV company structure is confusing and lacks some of this bonuses of the parent companies (stock sharing/purchase).
    Yearly review process depends on market adjustments and rarely allows for raises that keep up with inflation. Rare to give a raise that is 5+%.
    The only real way to get a raise is a promotion.
    Extremely fast paced environment.
    Once in a supervisor/management position you will be required to work on off days.
    Shift teams are frequently understaffed and this strain leads to increased stress on the team and supervisor.

Advice to Management

The yearly review process do NOT reward high contributors to the level they deserve to be, this needs to be fixed to retain them.

"Decent Job, tough to build a Career"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive pay, very generous time off, decent and mostly reliable bonuses. Work is challenging, fast paced, and varied/interesting. It is a great job and works well for work/life balance.

Cons

Advancement/raises are difficult to get -- requires employee to complete a cumbersome justification document and then justify it to their manager to get advanced within their current position (feels like it's intentionally made difficult to get advanced). There is not a lot of opportunity to advance upward into new positions and the advancement that does occur is often given to those that are insiders to the former Micron group. When times are tough for the parent companies, Micron pushes the same cost cutting measures on IM Flash employees that they enforce on their own people (freeze bonuses, reduce pay, freeze 401k matching) even though we are separate business units, but the upside of employee stock options is not there for IM Flash employees when times are good.

Advice to Management

Re-vamp the promotion/advancement process so that employees don't have to feel like they are writing and defending their doctoral dissertation to get a raise or promotion. Supervisors should have discretion to make advancements for high performers without having to go through this process or making it completely incumbent on the employee to make it happen. Work to open up more career advancement opportunities for people.

9. "Solid Semiconductor company with growth potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the benefits - management works hard to make sure the benefits are 'better than the rest'. Solid programs in terms of time off, compensation, health insurance, etc. New High deductible plan is a Win-Win for company and employees.
    Challenging work makes each day different. Real problems to be solved, and the recognition program to reward those who are able to help fix/solve the problems.
    People - company is focused on bringing the right people into the company; so co-workers are strong performers, buying in to company values of Teamwork, Integrity, Commitment, and Execution

Cons

Semiconductor industry is a roller-coaster; which can lead to both highs and lows. As a Joint Venture between Intel and Micron, we have a tendency to feel the effects of the lows longer, and not as much of the highs (depending on how both of the parent companies perform). With co-CEOs, one from each parent company; there is a tendency to follow where the parents lead in terms of cutting in the bad times; which leads to morale challenges at times

Advice to Management

Use the political capital you have to stand up for what you feel IMFlash is doing right. Don't cave to intertia and being part of 'their' network.

"Being the best at what we do is fulfilling and rewarding, we make the world mobile and smart!"

Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The quality of the people who work here, and the ability to achieve difficult goals working together has to be one of the top benefits of working for IM Flash. The work ethic is probably unmatched anywhere else. And the chance to be at the forefront of technology development makes every workday worth it. Plenty of recreation activities in the surrounding mountains, canyons, lakes, and parks make the off days fun and relaxing.

Cons

The company by international standards is very small, with less than 2,000 employees. This has limited the opportunities to grow in experience of the various areas of manufacturing and has somewhat restricted the potential knowledge that could be gained of the vast scope of semiconductor manufacturing. Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

Need more growth opportunities. One way to provide this is to allow more movement between departments. By understanding another area, I would be a better contributor to the companies overall success. Some team members are still in the same job they started in and I believe they stagnate without change.