IM Flash Technologies "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

IM Flash Technologies Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits and salary is competitive
    good work/life balance
    great culture with diversity, and good core values

Cons

management can micromanage at times (not in my department). training for new employees are better in some department than others

Advice to Management

have a balance on micro managing. acknowledge employees when they do a good job and create an environment for your employees where they actually look forward to come to work.

2. "Not Bad"

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Work/ Life balance
    Easy to standout among peers
    Good pay
    Most managers are good

Cons

Too relaxed and complacent with deadlines, expectations and goals. Allows people who are poor performers to get by.
    Tiered promotion scale hits a ceiling at certain levels.
    Company culture can encourage people to become complacent and lack motivation to push themselves.

Advice to Management

Push your employees and do not accept excuses and missed deadlines.

"A Bunch of Micro Managers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

When I started it was exciting to work on leading edge technology and most of the people seem to be nice who were not in management. As time passed I started to realize that it was a facade. That in reality it was a sweat shop of oppression.

Cons

Management micromanages their people as if they are incapable of managing their own life and time. This is laughable because most of the employees are college educated engineers that have not achieved the level they are at without being able to take responsibility. What is more laughable is that the constant review to make sure everyone is working on site at least 40 hours is leading to less productivity because people get very good at looking busy and wasting time. This cultural behavior is brought on by the work environment with the open seating without any cube walls and the fact that you had to scan both into and out of the site creating a log of your time on site. This is in contrast to companies like Intel were the management just gives a lot of work a lets people manage their own time to get the projects done and you never scan to get out of the buildings.
    Example: The management chain I was in required that you be on site by 8 am and not leave earlier than 5 pm. If you were late or if you needed to leave early, say for a doctor’s appointment, you had to tell your manager beforehand for their approval and it could not be for more than 2 hours. If it was say 4 hours it was not acceptable for you to flex your time to accommodate, say come in early and leave early or stay late. Instead you were required to use you vacation time for the absence. So let’s say you worked 10 hours on Monday and 10 on Tuesday, those extra 4 hours did not count toward the absence on Wednesday.
    Another Example: I ask once if it would be ok if I left once per week at 4:45 on Thursday to transport one of my kids to an activity. My manager told me that this was not acceptable because someone could schedule a meeting from 4 to 5. The rest of the time I worked at IM Flash no one ever scheduled a meeting from 4 to 5 on Thursday. There was no work life balance or accommodation.
    The result of this policy was counterproductive. People would work the minimum or just above the 40 hours on average to make sure they would not have other issues but they would not work the long hours like other places because there was no benefit.
    Final example: HR said the management could not pull anyone persons time log but they got around this by pulling everyone in a group. I know for a fact that a co-worker was put on a performance improvement plan because one week they only have 39.5 hours logged to the site. What was not taken into count was the time he was working remotely from home because this time is not tracked. In reality he had close to 50 hours in. As part of the PIP he had to show his manager his time log for the next 3 months proving he was on site 40+ hours. This person quit the next year and found a better and higher paying job.
    These are only a few examples of life at IM Flash. Most people live and work in fear at IM Flash and because of this there are quick to throw people under the bus. Managers will take credit for work the people under them have done. If you question management of make any waves you will be drummed out. Do one of two things with IM Flash: save yourself the stress and choose another place to work, or work and plan your exit within 5 years to go to a place the values your experience and will not lord over you. Also bring head phones, it gets very noisy from all the people talking in the big open office.

Advice to Management

I have nothing nice to say to the management. la la la la la la la la la la la

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time at IM Flash. We have forwarded your comments to HR and to Fab leadership for consideration.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing technology, smart people and wonderful products

Cons

Work life balance can be improved

Advice to Management

You are running a great company

5. "Mixed reviews"

Pros

Great benefits and bonuses. A well established career path.

Cons

Difficult to foster new ideas through their extensive bureaucracy. Work life balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Most established methods are great where they are at.

6. "Area IE"

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

great place to work with amazing work life balance

Cons

Lehi can be a little depressing with nothing much to do around

Advice to Management

Management is motivated and focused to deliver

7. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

Pros

IM Flash has a great focus on values, safety, and work/life balance. Compensation is pretty good and lots of opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Graveyard Shift was rough. Not for me. Thankfully only has 2 rotations before moving to a new schedule.

8. "A choice employer"

Current Employee - Wet Process T2 Process Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Wet Process T2 Process Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding development opportunities. Strong focus on culture and continuous improvement. Good work-life balance.

Cons

12 hour shifts can be taxing. Attendance policy is very rigid.

Advice to Management

Embrace the work forces integrity and trust them not to abuse a slightly more lenient attendance policy. Kids get sick and need care, then the parent gets sick afterwards. This is a trainable scenario which doesn't warrant people getting written up. Allow managers more discretion in this area.

"Good company, could be great."

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance.
    Location location location.
    Employee perks.
    Relaxed yet professional atmosphere.
    It's obvious the company is trying to appeal to a wider variety of people and bring in fresh talent to the industry but they need to place more emphasis on retention. There are a lot of good employees looking for greener pastures.

Cons

4 month nights/days rotations. Once you get settled into a shift it's almost time to rotate.
    Disengaged management.
    Miscommunication everywhere.
    High turnover. We can't keep good talent.
    Archaic promotion system. People who spend all shift working on their promotion paperwork get promoted faster than the backbone employees who keep the equipment running.

Advice to Management

Start becoming more engaged with the future and promotions of your people. It is a good company to work for overall but there is certainly room for improvement.

"My two cents..."

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. People at IM Flash are in general, very friendly and helpful. Great inter-team collaboration on projects.

Cons

Little to no flexibility for 1st shift employees. Archaic policies for paid time-off, vacation, maternity/paternity leave. Little opportunity to work on real breakthrough solutions since the site is largely considered only a HVM facility with minimal involvement in RnD work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to actively promote a culture of flexibility, with more emphasis on work done/completed and team successes rather than no. of hours physically spent at work. Management also needs to ensure that everyone gets challenging opportunities to advance and grow within the teams. Last but not the least, a greater push is needed to reevaluate and revise the current policies regarding TOP, maternity/paternity and sabbaticals - IM Flash is lagging way behind compared to their competitors in the semiconductor industry.