IMA Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert L. Cohen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Work Environment"

I worked at IMA Financial Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits, train, employee owned company. Hard to complain about those things.

Cons

Salary is among the lowest in the industry, but the benefits come very close to making up the difference.

2. "Account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at IMA Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really good people at IMA. They have a gym and Berista

Cons

Very poor management. Management is out of touch with employees. They are so focused on reaching their 20/20 vision that they are forgetting about the people doing the work. Work loads are ridiculous

Advice to Management

Try paying attention to employees and thanking them for their hard work. A little appreciation goes a long way.

"Going downhill , they no longer care about their employees. Only focused on their 20/20 goals."

I worked at IMA Financial Group full-time

Pros

Great location, free onsite Starbucks, gym and nice office. Employee owned...although more of a benefit to upper management. They give back to the community.

Cons

IMA was a company that once cared about their employees, they have grown in size and now their employees are nothing more than a number. The reward for doing a good job is more more work. Often now going into the office on a weekend it looks like a regular work day since folks need to work weekends to stay on top of their work load. It’s a revolving door now as people are leaving the company and they are refusing to replace most of them resulting in more work for the ones that stay behind.

They are too top heavy, love to hire leaders with made up titles to make them as a company look good. They hire poor performing leaders that run good employees out of the company but since IMA leadership does not like to admit they’ve made a mistake they hold onto those people and make the rest of the hard working people question why they should stay there. I think some of the leaders there are in way over their head. Don’t try going to Human Resources with a problem, Human Resources is worthless..listens, takes notes and then uses that information against you, nothing is confidential. Most people don’t really ever see HR because they don’t bother trying to get to know the staff and they just hide in their offices.

There leadership used to be good but I don’t think they have a clue as to what’s really going on with the people doing all the hard work and keep that place going. If they do know then shame on them. Leadership isn’t approachable for concerns. Their 20/20 goals seems to be the main focus, it’s a shame that they will lose the good folks that help achieve that goal.

Training and Development, they offer nothing for the more experienced employees I can only assume it’s because why know they are running them out of there. Maybe that’s their goal? They bring in folks right out of college they can pay less and that is where they focus their training classes. Premium Finance classes on a regular basis, seriously?

Advice to Management

Look around you, notice all the unhappy employees and figure out how to keep them. So many good people are leaving, invest in your current more experienced employees development and training rather than only offering training and development for the Millennials. Own up to your mistakes and get rid of the leaders that aren’t leading. Reward your good employees, they are all on to the fact they don’t get good merit increases because of the fancy made up titles you bring in. Employees leave poor management and this is what is happening here. Show some loyalty to your staff that have been very loyal to you.

4. "A growing company"

Pros

Free Starbucks, employee stock outperforms the stock market, genuinely nice people

Cons

You wonder how some management has gotten to where they are.

5. "Not Your Average Insurance Broker"

I have been working at IMA Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Benefits - 100% employee owned, unlimited PTO, paid parental leave, dream coach on staff, weekly community service opportunities, sabbatical plan, casual dress code, and more.

Tons of Training and Development improvements to assist with career growth.

Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to create change and impact the customer experience.

Fun company events - baseball games, picnics, holiday parties, fundraising for the IMA foundation (ping pong and volleyball tournaments).

Teams really enjoy working together and spending time together outside of the office.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but because IMA has an entrepreneurial environment, change occurs often. Most often, it is for the better.

Advice to Management

Recognition is always important!

6. "A Great Place to Work"

I have been working at IMA Financial Group full-time

Pros

A culture focused on doing the right thing for our clients, community and employees. The ability to own stock in the company which has grown substantially and will give me a great retirement fund. Sharing of information from management including quarterly financial information keeps me informed. A company and leaders with integrity who truly strive to do the right thing and support my efforts to do so. A company that supports my values and where I can make a difference. Great employee perks of unlimited PTO, time off to volunteer, a Community Action Committee which supports volunteer efforts and a barista with free coffee. Great vision to continue to evolve and lead the industry.

Cons

We have grown quickly and with that comes growing pains as the company builds more structure to support the growth. This can create conflict between employees who don't want anything to change with those who want to evolve with the company to meet our changing industry.

Advice to Management

Communicate more to employees for the reasons behind the initiatives and the progress and outcomes of the initiatives. Continue to move out mediocre performers and those with poor attitudes.

"A great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at IMA Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee Ownership
    Flexible Schedule
    Unlimited PTO
    Sabbatical Program
    Great people
    Supportive environment

Cons

A small company, learning to become a big company has its challenges along the way and IMA has experienced some of those in the past few years.

It's been a little bit bumpy as we have grown and lost some of the people focus, but I know that the senior leaders never want that to happen and will bring it back around. The grass is not always greener on the other side and leaving for something different will leave you unfulfilled because there are issues everywhere!

Advice to Management

Be transparent and caring to your employees. Think more about the needs in this environment for employees who are also parents to be able to have flexibility around their work schedules. Allow for 4 - 10's or a few days of working from home as a standard practice. Your employees are working their tails off, they need to be able to have some balance. I don't know why we don't embrace some of these practices.

8. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IMA Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Proactive management, treat employees with respect, care about employees opinions, great benefits

Cons

There are no Cons to working here compared to what is available in the current job market

Advice to Management

None

9. "Disillusioned"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Denver, CO

I have been working at IMA Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company, very little else. Production and numbers are valued above everything else. Unlimited PTO is "offered" but it is next to impossible to get it approved.

Cons

Unlimited work/life balance PTO is offered but managers either make it next to impossible to take time off or their people are afraid to request time off. You worry about repercussions if you take time off.

They preach work/life balance but it is non-existent. They say nice words but it is all lip service.

Advice to Management

Put actions behind your words.

10. "."

I have been working at IMA Financial Group full-time

Pros

Attempt to create a good culture. Lots of nice people

Cons

Constantly spend money at the top level and fail to notice/help the struggling teams in need of more team member.