IMC Financial Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
IMC Financial Markets

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I spent around 40 to 50 hours a week at work which is a very solid work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Work with exceptionally smart people so that it is easy to learn from the best within and outside of your job function (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Live at IMC can be fast paced, so you do not always get the time to take care of every (in 2 reviews)

• Probably about 45ish to 50 for full time, but nothing unreasonable (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Unparalleled"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been with IMC for almost 6 years now. In my current role, I mostly work on global projects across our three offices. The close collaboration with the different teams globally is something I truly enjoy. IMC really encourages international collaboration and offers ditto opportunities. Shorter and longer term international assignments are very common practice.

The best thing I like about IMC is its culture and the people that form this: informal and collaborative, but very professional and ambitious. IMC puts a lot of effort in hiring people that share the same values and bring something unique. Another thing I like is that people are given as much responsibility as they can handle, and preferably a little more. There is a strong focus on learning and both personal and professional development.

Overall, what has been keeping me here for nearly 6 years is the reward of working with a bunch of smart people on cool stuff in a fun and international environment.

Cons

IMC is not for everyone though. The downside of working in a fluid and by times ambiguous environment is that sometimes you could feel a little ‘lost’. Don’t expect too much structure created for you. You create it yourself. People are always willing to support wherever they can, but the ball is in your court.

The pace is high: you’re expected to be always on top of your game, there is not much room for slacking around. I don’t see this as something negative, but you should be prepared for this. You should not only be able to handle this, you better love it, otherwise this is not the place for you.

"Thoughts After 3-months at IMC"

I worked at IMC Financial Markets part-time

Pros

Great office, brilliant people, catered meals, social events, competitive pay

Cons

Sometimes unclear what they value in certain candidates above others

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Financial Markets (More than a year)

Pros

People are smart in the company

Cons

Most works are only related the minor changes of the software. Getting bored after a while.

4. "Exciting growth opportunity and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since starting at IMC, I've been challenged to step outside of my comfort zone on a regular basis. The work is challenging, but I'm excited to come to work each day knowing that my voice will be heard and I can make an impact in the organization. My team trusted me to take on meaningful projects from day one, which is something I'd never experienced before coming to IMC. Along with the learning opportunities, all of the perks at IMC (especially free lunch and amazing benefits) make IMC an amazing place to work.

Cons

While being challenged is exciting, it can also be stressful and overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees and listening to feedback.

5. "Challenging, fun, fast-paced environment"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* There are always tons of interesting new problems to work on, and employees are given a lot of freedom to work on the ones they feel passionately about.
    * New hires are trusted with a lot of responsibility very quickly.
    * If you do well, you are compensated well.

Cons

* People (including management) often have a very short term focus.
    * A lot of the analysis done is anecdote driven. Sometimes there is a lack of properly quantitative methods.
    * Hours are long, but they aren't too bad given the industry. And working a lot is not always a problem if the work is enjoyable.

Advice to Management

* Invest in longer term projects that will produce sustainable results.
    * Promote a more quantitative approach - and be willing to hire the people and fund the projects that will make that happen.

6. "Amazing Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Free catered lunch, extremely smart coworkers, happy hour every Friday, good hours, fun events every week, very nice free corporate housing. I loved the collaborative culture at IMC and learned a lot at the fast paced environment. Everyone was very friendly and I learned a lot, there was a strong focus on letting us enjoy the summer while learning a lot!

Definitely the opposite of the typical long hours and extremely cutthroat financial firm feel that I expected. I spent around 40 to 50 hours a week at work which is a very solid work life balance.

Cons

Very smart colleagues requires you to put out your best work. Expect to go through a lot of code reviews before your code is up to par and can be pushed into production (very fast production cycle).

"Perfect first job"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Massive investment in you. They see it as both necessary and mutually beneficial to invest a great deal in helping you to improve and hone your skills. It takes a great deal of skill and intellect to be a part of this team, and no one has that (at least the skills part :D) out of college. IMC recognizes that and devotes a huge amount of resources to helping you get to the point where you can contribute. This conveys a sense that they both value you and what you can do for them and makes the onboarding process fun and rewarding. In turn, these skills do not exist only within the IMC container. They are lasting skills that you are being paid and helped at every stage to learn, which is pretty incredible.

Good work life balance, great culture (happy hours on fridays, massages, people hanging out together outside of the office, etc) leads to a great feeling and team atmosphere. People want to do their part for IMC because they love working here.

Smart people. Like really smart.

Great benefits.

Quick turnaround on ideas. People respect and listen to each other and bureaucratic hurdles are kept extremely low on new ideas. If you want to do something, you are encouraged to.

Cons

People work hard because they care about the company and like what they do. I guess if you end up working too hard because of that you might not like it, but for the most part that is up to you.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback. The emphasis on this makes people feel valued and actually leads to improvements.

"marketing manager"

I worked at IMC Financial Markets full-time

Pros

good people and fun pot luck lunches

Cons

top management was not available

9. "Great Internship"

Pros

Great people, interesting work, nice culture

Cons

Can't think of anything at the moment

10. "Incredible Internship Opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets (Less than a year)

Pros

As a software dev intern at IMC, I had the opportunity to work on a meaningful project that I saw used in a real trading environment by the last few weeks of the summer. Throughout the summer, there were tons of events, teaching sessions on new topics, and individual feedback from my mentor that was really helpful in improving my code quality. For anything that you want to learn, you will find someone who knows all about it and wants to teach it to you. The culture is EXTREMELY collaborative, which was an enormous plus for me.

Cons

None for me, I guess in general though the hours are a little more than 40 a week. Probably about 45ish to 50 for full time, but nothing unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you're doing with the internship program because it was a great time. All the events and other perks were amazing.