IMC Financial Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
IMC Financial Markets

Pros
  • I spent around 40 to 50 hours a week at work which is a very solid work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Work with exceptionally smart people so that it is easy to learn from the best within and outside of your job function (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor management, old technology (in 2 reviews)

• Live at IMC can be fast paced, so you do not always get the time to take care of every (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Unparalleled"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been with IMC for almost 6 years now. In my current role, I mostly work on global projects across our three offices. The close collaboration with the different teams globally is something I truly enjoy. IMC really encourages international collaboration and offers ditto opportunities. Shorter and longer term international assignments are very common practice.

The best thing I like about IMC is its culture and the people that form this: informal and collaborative, but very professional and ambitious. IMC puts a lot of effort in hiring people that share the same values and bring something unique. Another thing I like is that people are given as much responsibility as they can handle, and preferably a little more. There is a strong focus on learning and both personal and professional development.

Overall, what has been keeping me here for nearly 6 years is the reward of working with a bunch of smart people on cool stuff in a fun and international environment.

Cons

IMC is not for everyone though. The downside of working in a fluid and by times ambiguous environment is that sometimes you could feel a little ‘lost’. Don’t expect too much structure created for you. You create it yourself. People are always willing to support wherever they can, but the ball is in your court.

The pace is high: you’re expected to be always on top of your game, there is not much room for slacking around. I don’t see this as something negative, but you should be prepared for this. You should not only be able to handle this, you better love it, otherwise this is not the place for you.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Financial Markets (More than a year)

Pros

People are smart in the company

Cons

Most works are only related the minor changes of the software. Getting bored after a while.

3. "Exciting growth opportunity and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since starting at IMC, I've been challenged to step outside of my comfort zone on a regular basis. The work is challenging, but I'm excited to come to work each day knowing that my voice will be heard and I can make an impact in the organization. My team trusted me to take on meaningful projects from day one, which is something I'd never experienced before coming to IMC. Along with the learning opportunities, all of the perks at IMC (especially free lunch and amazing benefits) make IMC an amazing place to work.

Cons

While being challenged is exciting, it can also be stressful and overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees and listening to feedback.

5. "Challenging, fun, fast-paced environment"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* There are always tons of interesting new problems to work on, and employees are given a lot of freedom to work on the ones they feel passionately about.
    * New hires are trusted with a lot of responsibility very quickly.
    * If you do well, you are compensated well.

Cons

* People (including management) often have a very short term focus.
    * A lot of the analysis done is anecdote driven. Sometimes there is a lack of properly quantitative methods.
    * Hours are long, but they aren't too bad given the industry. And working a lot is not always a problem if the work is enjoyable.

Advice to Management

* Invest in longer term projects that will produce sustainable results.
    * Promote a more quantitative approach - and be willing to hire the people and fund the projects that will make that happen.

6. "Amazing Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Free catered lunch, extremely smart coworkers, happy hour every Friday, good hours, fun events every week, very nice free corporate housing. I loved the collaborative culture at IMC and learned a lot at the fast paced environment. Everyone was very friendly and I learned a lot, there was a strong focus on letting us enjoy the summer while learning a lot!

Definitely the opposite of the typical long hours and extremely cutthroat financial firm feel that I expected. I spent around 40 to 50 hours a week at work which is a very solid work life balance.

Cons

Very smart colleagues requires you to put out your best work. Expect to go through a lot of code reviews before your code is up to par and can be pushed into production (very fast production cycle).

"Perfect first job"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Massive investment in you. They see it as both necessary and mutually beneficial to invest a great deal in helping you to improve and hone your skills. It takes a great deal of skill and intellect to be a part of this team, and no one has that (at least the skills part :D) out of college. IMC recognizes that and devotes a huge amount of resources to helping you get to the point where you can contribute. This conveys a sense that they both value you and what you can do for them and makes the onboarding process fun and rewarding. In turn, these skills do not exist only within the IMC container. They are lasting skills that you are being paid and helped at every stage to learn, which is pretty incredible.

Good work life balance, great culture (happy hours on fridays, massages, people hanging out together outside of the office, etc) leads to a great feeling and team atmosphere. People want to do their part for IMC because they love working here.

Smart people. Like really smart.

Great benefits.

Quick turnaround on ideas. People respect and listen to each other and bureaucratic hurdles are kept extremely low on new ideas. If you want to do something, you are encouraged to.

Cons

People work hard because they care about the company and like what they do. I guess if you end up working too hard because of that you might not like it, but for the most part that is up to you.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback. The emphasis on this makes people feel valued and actually leads to improvements.

8. "Incredible Internship Opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets (Less than a year)

Pros

As a software dev intern at IMC, I had the opportunity to work on a meaningful project that I saw used in a real trading environment by the last few weeks of the summer. Throughout the summer, there were tons of events, teaching sessions on new topics, and individual feedback from my mentor that was really helpful in improving my code quality. For anything that you want to learn, you will find someone who knows all about it and wants to teach it to you. The culture is EXTREMELY collaborative, which was an enormous plus for me.

Cons

None for me, I guess in general though the hours are a little more than 40 a week. Probably about 45ish to 50 for full time, but nothing unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you're doing with the internship program because it was a great time. All the events and other perks were amazing.

"My Favorite Employer"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I personally feel like I've had an interesting career.
    I've worked for a few of what many would consider to be 'top tier' organizations: engineer at NASA; consultant for McKinsey, trader at Goldman Sachs.
    Of these, IMC has been my favorite place to work by far, and an employer that I hope to work for until I retire.

A few highlights:

Work with very talented people on interesting problems - makes you learn and grow your capabilities more rapidly than I've experienced elsewhere. I often tell people this is what you should be looking for out of school. Most people coming out of undergrad look to optimize starting salary. I understand why it happens, I did the same thing. It's really all you think you have to work with at that point, and you have to optimize something. :) It's not the right thing to look at though. If you find a place where you'll increase your skill set at the most rapid pace, you're raising your own personal value. In a free market economy for labor, that will optimize your personal wealth over the long term. (if that's what's important to you) Don't take the previous statement to mean that IMC doesn't pay competitive starting salaries though, we do. :)

Promote best candidates - Talent doesn't always follow seniority. Case in point, I think I have quite a bit of experience. I'm currently 40 years old. My boss is 31?(ish) We're both in the right spots. I don't begrudge him at all, I'm happy he's my boss. He's very very good at what he does. (and at the risk of not sounding humble, I'm also not an idiot) ;) In my humble opinion, an organization that lets the most talented people rise to the top at whatever pace they're ready will be more successful for it.

In general, compared to all of the other places I've worked, this really is a very young organization. I think that affects our organizational culture as to how we make decisions. There's not a lot of 'Oh, he's the old guy, he probably knows best, so let's just listen to him.' It's much more about who has the best idea, and has the stats / proof to back it up. That's what gets decided on. (that also feeds into my previous point about how we end up promoting people)

Fun to come to work - we have plenty of benefits and I feel like the company really cares about us. We do a lot of fun things together like take an annual company trip, go to concerts, etc. This promotes a culture where most people in the office get to know each other. From personal experience, it's much easier to work on a project and get a lot of high quality work done with someone if you've hung out with them and care about them personally.

Well managed, nimble organization - Leadership positions the organization well to be competitive. I'm confident in our ability as an organization to be at the top of our industry.

Cons

I really haven't had any persistent concerns over my 8 year tenure here. No place is perfect. Sometimes there are transient issues, but I've seen them identified and addressed by management, and I've always been satisfied with the response.

"Loving it, very engaging and a great place to work!"

Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time

Pros

I've been with IMC for almost 10 years. I love it so far.

Right from the start, you'll be given a lot of responsibility. The flat structure of the organization makes it easy to get your point across and work effectively. Overall, I found it a very rewarding job. You end up working with extremely intelligent and enthusiastic people who are open to debate. This makes work fun.

I've worked on a wide range of projects and the versatility of topics to work on is great. Trading moves at a rapid pace and so does IMC. The work/life balance is excellent though. There are frequent opportunities to visit other offices in Amsterdam or Sydney, or even transfer for a while.

Next to this, you can get all the gear you would ever need to do your job, from top of the range macbooks to many 30" monitors.

We get some great benefits: free breakfast and lunches, on-site massage therapists, frequent company outings and a yearly company weekends, next to the more standard 401k match, health and dental insurance, etc.

Cons

detail. Being good at time management and prioritization is very helpful

Advice to Management

The bigger the company gets, the more important communication becomes. I think senior management is doing a good job in communicating top-level priorities, but it would be good to also make sure to also cover the implementation details frequently.

Not all managers at the company are good in managing people or projects.

"Endless learning opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets (More than 3 years)

Pros

IMC gives you a lot of responsibility early on in your career. You're exposed to things here that would take years to get to at another firm. You work with people that always push you to be at your best.

Cons

IMC expects a lot of of their employees but in the end this gives you a greater sense of accomplishment when all is said and done.