IMC Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
IMC Financial Markets

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Recent grads are given lots of responsibility much earlier than at other trading firms" (in 7 reviews)

• "Work with exceptionally smart people so that it is easy to learn from the best within and outside of your job function" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, very demanding and stressful" (in 3 reviews)

• "Traders rarely communicate with other desks; desks aren't siloed but desks almost seem to operate on their own" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Best Decision I ever made"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved across the country to work at IMC and have been so grateful for that decision.

- Incredibly intelligent co-workers that are willing to help with a positive attitude
    - Lots of opportunity to learn new things and grow in ability
    - Amazing benefits (health, dental, etc fully paid). Plus extras such as fun reimbursement, commute reimbursement, free breakfast/lunch. Happy hour every Friday. Yearly company trip, Christmas parties and more!
    - Awesome giving to the local community and world at large. Seriously they give back to a lot of great organizations and give you lots of chances to participate!
    - Constantly striving to improve you as an individual and themselves as a company.
    - No artificial schedules are deadlines. I have never seen a GANTT chart. You push yourself and work hard, if things don't got right you have the ability to try again.
    - Flexibility in work is great. Have a sick kid work from home that day. Most people do seem to work about 50 hours a week.
    - I have worked at many companies and IMC is hands down the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

Really none. The company is very selective in who they hire, so getting in is the hardest part.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, and never settle for good enough!

2. "Dream Company"

Current Employee - Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office in Sears Tower, insane pay and bonuses compared to other industries and still pretty high for a hedge fund/trading firm, outstanding culture, emphasis on philanthropy and giving back, leadership/personal development, low turnover, Trainee program in Amsterdam office, outstanding leadership, Friday office happy hours

Cons

None yet. You get what you put in, both bonus and work-wise so if you're lazy, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep making this an amazing company to work for

3. "Amazing Culture"

Pros

The culture here is unlike anywhere I’ve ever seen. Each person is devoted, intelligent, and approachable. There are so many ways to get involved and make a difference in the organization and high visibility into upper management. On top of that, free lunch, free healthcare, and gym reimbursements definitely do not hurt. There is also a huge focus on giving back through the charity program. I can’t stress enough how incredible it is to work here.

Cons

If you don’t enjoy a flat structure without much movement, this isn’t the firm for you. However, as you’re there longer there are many more growth opportunities through projects and workload.

Advice to Management

As the organization grows, continue to treat employees exceptionally and keep a smaller company culture.

4. "Good place to work with some flaws"

Former Employee - Trader
    Former Employee - Trader

I worked at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

-Modern office with nice amenities, great benefits for industry
    -Work with pretty smart people
    -Not a lot of pressure relative to competitors
    -Constantly learning and contributing
    -Pretty good compensation relative to industry

Cons

-Not a lot of great talent
    -Long hours. All traders work at least 11-12 hours a day.
    -Not as good as competitors
    -Traders rarely communicate with other desks; desks aren't siloed but desks almost seem to operate on their own
    -Doesn't feel like anyone really likes each other. People just work and leave. At Friday happy hours maybe 10% of the office shows up.
    -Fair amount of turnover even though they don't like to admit it. People leave or get fired (more of the former, but still some of the latter).

Advice to Management

keep on being transparent. hire better talent if you want to be at the top.

"Good place to work"

I worked at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

Dynamic environment, inclusive culture, growing at a fast pace.

Cons

Compensation could be better.
    Not chances to improve your career.

"Thoughts After 3-months at IMC"

I worked at IMC Trading part-time

Pros

Great office, brilliant people, catered meals, social events, competitive pay

Cons

Sometimes unclear what they value in certain candidates above others

"Unparalleled"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been with IMC for almost 6 years now. In my current role, I mostly work on global projects across our three offices. The close collaboration with the different teams globally is something I truly enjoy. IMC really encourages international collaboration and offers ditto opportunities. Shorter and longer term international assignments are very common practice.

The best thing I like about IMC is its culture and the people that form this: informal and collaborative, but very professional and ambitious. IMC puts a lot of effort in hiring people that share the same values and bring something unique. Another thing I like is that people are given as much responsibility as they can handle, and preferably a little more. There is a strong focus on learning and both personal and professional development.

Overall, what has been keeping me here for nearly 6 years is the reward of working with a bunch of smart people on cool stuff in a fun and international environment.

Cons

IMC is not for everyone though. The downside of working in a fluid and by times ambiguous environment is that sometimes you could feel a little ‘lost’. Don’t expect too much structure created for you. You create it yourself. People are always willing to support wherever they can, but the ball is in your court.

The pace is high: you’re expected to be always on top of your game, there is not much room for slacking around. I don’t see this as something negative, but you should be prepared for this. You should not only be able to handle this, you better love it, otherwise this is not the place for you.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Trading (More than a year)

Pros

People are smart in the company

Cons

Most works are only related the minor changes of the software. Getting bored after a while.

9. "Exciting growth opportunity and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since starting at IMC, I've been challenged to step outside of my comfort zone on a regular basis. The work is challenging, but I'm excited to come to work each day knowing that my voice will be heard and I can make an impact in the organization. My team trusted me to take on meaningful projects from day one, which is something I'd never experienced before coming to IMC. Along with the learning opportunities, all of the perks at IMC (especially free lunch and amazing benefits) make IMC an amazing place to work.

Cons

While being challenged is exciting, it can also be stressful and overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees and listening to feedback.

10. "Challenging, fun, fast-paced environment"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* There are always tons of interesting new problems to work on, and employees are given a lot of freedom to work on the ones they feel passionately about.
    * New hires are trusted with a lot of responsibility very quickly.
    * If you do well, you are compensated well.

Cons

* People (including management) often have a very short term focus.
    * A lot of the analysis done is anecdote driven. Sometimes there is a lack of properly quantitative methods.
    * Hours are long, but they aren't too bad given the industry. And working a lot is not always a problem if the work is enjoyable.

Advice to Management

* Invest in longer term projects that will produce sustainable results.
    * Promote a more quantitative approach - and be willing to hire the people and fund the projects that will make that happen.