IMC Trading Reviews

Updated Aug 8, 2020

4.5
IMC Trading Co-CEO IMC Financial Markets (no image)
IMC Financial Markets
Pros
  • "Smart people, good collaboration(in 13 reviews)

• "Good pay, free lunch/breakfast/snacks/drinks, supportive work environment, great work/life balance, cool activities(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of turnover, most traders have been in their jobs for less than 3 years(in 7 reviews)

• "There can be more transparency in the decision making processes(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A gem in the trading industry"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

When I came to this company, I noticed that its Glassdoor review was high for the trading industry. After some time working here and skeptically wondering if it was rightfully deserved, I can say that it truly is. IMC has the best culture I have seen at any of the trading firms I've talked to. A strong culture says a lot in an industry known to be especially competitive and cut-throat, and where tenures tend to be short. People are smart and professional. You won't be disappointed by your colleagues, and management shoots it straight. This is one of the best places to work in the trading industry.

Cons

By trading firm standards, it is a large company. While it tries its best to stay nimble, it has more layers than smaller firms. It's not as entrepreneurial as a small prop shop. It is though much smaller and less bureaucratic than workings for the FANGs of the tech world.

2. "Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

- Top notch compensation - Brilliant coworkers - Challenging problems - Strong focus on learning and mentorship for new employees - Fun events, happy hours, company trip

Cons

Not a place to coast if that's what you're looking for. IMC expects a lot from employees (and IMC gives you a lot in return).

"Optiver's little brother"

2.0
    Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great kitchen + solid snacks

Cons

Spend all their time focusing on how to be like Optiver. So much so that it's quite annoying. Don't like to swing the big bat, and it shows in culture and results. Some trading leads shouldn't be managing anyone. Culture is closer to a green peace ship than a trading floor. Any time you have to write rules for how people should be talking to each other up on the wall, something has gone very wrong. Especially on a trading floor. Didn't enjoy it, wish I looked elsewhere

"Fast and furious"

Current Employee - Performance Engineer

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

One of the fastest (if not fastest) stacks in HFT. Good work/life balance. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Relatively low risk appetite when trading.

"Mixed bag where the pros outweigh the cons"

4.0
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Junior people are generally honest, friendly, and extremely smart -Some really exceptional managers as well (along with some less than exceptional ones) -Relatively transparent internally for a trading firm -Compensation is reasonably good for the trading/hedge fund industry, and fantastic relative to most other industries -Excellent benefits -Management can be very agile, people will push to implement an idea quickly when it seems good -There's a sincere culture of charity and giving back -Not completely a meritocracy, but pretty meritocratic. If you make the company money you will get paid, up to a point.

Cons

-Firing can be arbitrary or politically motivated -Amsterdam office priorities can conflict with Chicago office priorities, and Amsterdam always wins -Management can change priorities rapidly, feels disorganized at times -Bonuses are inherently political, and the distribution of the bonus pool is very skewed -Lots of turnover, most traders have been in their jobs for less than 3 years -Strategies are generally quite latency dependent and internal trading systems are both quite automated and quite idiosyncratic. Lots of what you learn here will not be useful anywhere else. Though this is beginning to change. -Changes to trading strategies/systems aren't always made in the most scientific way -Chicago office subsidizes bonus pools of other offices, particularly Amsterdam

6. "Gptw"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Really gptw and has always been

Cons

None That I can think of

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing company to work for! Competent managers and emphasis on technology and automation. Open and collaborative culture, with amazing benefits and perks. Great compensation, and awesome location inside the Willis Tower. Feedback-oriented culture is helpful for personal growth. I joined from another company in the industry, and it’s so much better here. Surrounded by the brightest minds in the industry. Traineeship is global, so you get to travel to Amsterdam and Sydney for training, all expenses paid. Amazing experience!

Cons

There really aren’t any that come to mind.

"Parent Partner"

I worked at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

supported Management as well as work environment

Cons

Must negotiate salary from the start.

"Subpar compensation and poor management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Trading full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good entry level job for people with no prior industry knowledge

Cons

Pure example of a company where the Peter principle applies a lot of long serving average employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence which in turn leads to a lot of good employees leaving. Also be aware of the fact that discretionary bonuses are often a synonym of arbitrary bonuses there.

"Lovely"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cons

High expectations, but that's also kind of a plus.

Found 96 reviews