IMG Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Sam Zussman

1. "Coach"

Current Employee - Coach in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Coach in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at IMG Academy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with in a fun environment. You can make up for a lower base salary by teaching lessons. There are plenty of students and most of them want extra work.

Cons

Summers are tough. Very hot and long hours but summer is the time to teach as many lessons as you wish for because there are plenty of campers.

2. "Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Tutor in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at IMG Academy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, very good environment to work in.

Cons

I want to get more hours.
    A lot of managers, hard to know who I have to talk with.

3. "Student Ambassador"

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Bradenton, FL

I worked at IMG Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, weather, facilities, and people.

Cons

Weather can also be a downside as extreme heat or endless storms are known to abound.

Advice to Management

Listen to families and kids

5. "Driver"

Former Employee - Driver/Transportation in Parrish, FL
    Former Employee - Driver/Transportation in Parrish, FL

I worked at IMG Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, meet exciting people. around sporting events

Cons

some staff are unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Train staff and treat lower class staff with respect

"IMG is a horrible place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL

I worked at IMG Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the students I had.

Cons

If you work at IMG you will be overworked, underpaid, and very under appreciated. Members of upper management do not care about their employees and instead of paying their employees they give themselves bonuses. I've never worked anywhere even remotely as bad as this. The employee turnover rate is horrendous. During my time there, I had three different managers and more than 80% of my co-workers left because of being treated so poorly and working so much. If you receive an interview with them, please ask them what the employee turnover rate is. I voluntarily quit a job I would normally love to have because I just couldn't take working for the company anymore. So sad...

7. "ULC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at IMG Academy (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional organization and easy to work for. Well disciplined students.

Cons

Hourly employment can be unsettling.

"Sexual Aggression"

Former Employee - Athletic Trainer in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Athletic Trainer in Bradenton, FL

I worked at IMG Academy (More than a year)

Pros

IMG allowed gave me much need experience but was not worth dealing with a hostile work environment. Women need to start publicly reporting sexual harassment and abuse that had been silenced by management.

Cons

While working at IMG I was placed in many situations that made me feel uncomfortable and unsafe. I was the subject of embarrassing and demeaning "locker room" antics and jokes. But my reporting of these troubles fell on deaf ears. My personal telephone number was given out to all athletes which lead to many uncomfortable and unprofessional conversations that were not work related. I even received numerous nude pictures from athletes pressuring me to respond with pictures. My dissatisfaction and request for behavior to stop did not change anything. I brought this problem to management but nothing changed and future athletes were still given my personal number. I was also often put in situations after hours where I was alone with athletes who made sexual remarks and advances. At the time I ignored this behavior out of fear but realized my silence is permitting more young girls to be subjected to this type of aggressive, uncomfortable, hostile work environment. I would not recommend any young women to work at IMG.

Advice to Management

Please start taking sexual harassment and abuse seriously. Young women a subject to an unsafe and hostile work environment. I understand that the athletes provide a large revenue but that does not give them the right to sexually harass and abuse you women without repercussions.

IMG Academy Response

Jun 13, 2016 – Human Resources

IMG Academy is committed to providing a work environment that is free from harassment or discrimination based on sex and other protected characteristics. In keeping with this commitment, IMG Academy ... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Head of House in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Head of House in Bradenton, FL

I worked at IMG Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of good people and good students there that I truly enjoyed being around. I wish there were more.

Cons

“IMG Academy is in the business of trying to be a for-profit school for as much profit as the owners can possibly squeeze out of it. It costs $75K a year to go there. This is the most expensive High School or College in the nation! It’s also the largest boarding school in the nation.

You would think this would mean the students would have beautiful dorms, but you would be wrong. The rooms are unbelievably small with one small window. Despite this incredible revenue, we were told in the Campus Life department we could not afford PENS for our front desk. We had to buy our own. The owners wouldn’t even buy us enough ladders for the bunkbeds in the dorms – forcing students to dangerouslyclimb up and down 6 foot high bunk beds without a ladder.

Unfortunately there are enough wealthy, gullible parents who are willing to pay this price with the dreams of their kid getting a pro sports contract (Only 2% of IMG grads eventually turn pro). Some parents send their marginally athletic kids there to get them out of their house.

"Sport Advisors" will seek out "full pay" kids who will sit on the bench of their teams to pay for scholarships for the great athletes from lesser economic backgrounds who will help them win. Other schools refused to play IMG Football because IMG recruits and pulls the best players from other programs.

In summer camps you would see 60 kids on ONE tennis court awaiting their chance to hit a ball.

IMG has an iconic (but undeserved) reputation around the country. I was Head of House in the dorm and witnessed an ungodly level of bullying, theft, fighting, vandalism, etc.

The sense of entitlement among these wealthy students boggles the mind. Kids would get into trouble for drugs, alcohol, etc. and parents would lie for them to get them out of it - creating an unwinnable battle.

During the summer camps they would pack 1,000 kids into a dorm built for 500. (What could possibly go wrong when you put four 13 year old boys in a tiny dorm room behind closed doors?) Often they would take these young campers from Asian countries who didn’t speak any English into these rooms and fights would ensue.

The houseparents are great human beings, but the houseparent to student ratio was 1-50 – even with middle school boys who need so much more attention.

IMG was recently bought out by WME which means important decisions are made 3,000 miles away in Beverly Hills, CA. All they care about is getting the biggest names in fashion, movies and sports that will make them look better.

Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from IMG Academy. There are much better ways to develop young athletes with potential.

Advice to Management

Schools are for character development - not profit. If you're going to take people's money on false dreams - just be an athletic camp and get out of the business of being a school.

"Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - (Hundo, Inc ) Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - (Hundo, Inc ) Project Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Work freedom, good employees, travel.

Cons

Out of area work, micromanagement, unorganized contractual agreements.

Advice to Management

Pay for out of area gas.

"Great opportunities to decrease your self-worth"

Former Employee - Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at IMG Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented employees on the ground. Great facilities. Nick B. Great paternity/maternity leave.

Cons

-Management is all white men and don't understand international audiences and do not care about employees
    -40% turnover
    -Disgusting working conditions
    -No growth opportunities -- everything is entry-level!
    -Not really eligible for any incentives for at least a full year. Deceitful practices!
    -When you are elligible, goals exceed actual capacity for number of maximum athletes on the field/ court
    -Lots of wispering behind closed doors, and shadey people!
    -Obsessive worship over Sam Z, great almighty figurehead that no one sees or hears

Advice to Management

Remove the cancer that is spreading, hire some diverse leadership (maybe people with advanced degrees and international experience???!!!), do whatever it takes to make your employees happy and say nice things about you! It doesn't take much!

-stop creating fake review accounts to make yourselves look awesome. just be real.